Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 02:25 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Bob -- this is not a digital/analog issue. The tuners are digital but not QAM compatible. This means it used the digital tv signals; however, they will not decode an encoded cable signal. It has nothing to do with digital vs analog. If you unplugged your tv from its cable box and the tv had no QAM capability it would not decode any of the cable channels if you hoped the tv directly into the wall.

In my attempts to scan channels I used the menu, selected Cable (not air for the antenna), the antenna amp was off. I've talked to Seiki customer service and they validated the tuners on my 2 TVs had a digital tuner; however, it lacks QAM capability -- therefore their digital tuner can not unscramble the encoded cable signal.

As I mentioned early on, I've been in a few RV parks that had their own dish systems and these systems did not have encoded cable channels. Both my TVs scanned those systems fine. It's the encoded cable systems like at Fort Wilderness that is a no go.
I realize it is not a digital or analog issue. QAM works with some cable providers with some channels (usually not all) but there is no guarantee it will work with any particular cable provider. Some providers scramble everything and the only way you can view their programming is to pay them to use their cable box.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:31 AM   #42

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The Saikyo Tv in the bedroom has QAM capability. At Fort Wilderness that tv scans 119 cable channels. The two Seikis with no QAM at Fort Wilderness scan 0 cable channels.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:22 AM   #43

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #5743
Seiki Decoder - Conversation with Thor Rep

Just like many of you, this weekend I attempted my first cable TV experience, which was unsuccessful. After reading some of these posts, and threads on other RV sites, I educated myself on the decoder issue.
According to the Thor Rep: The decoder is a chip in the TV IS there, but the manufacturer (Seiki) chooses to not pay for the license at this time in order to be able to use it. Other manufacturers also choose not to (according to him), including Element, Septer, Hisense, RCA, and ProScan.
He suggested a decoder box, but while looking at these, it appears to me I'd have to either (a) have separate ones for each TV, or (b) his suggestion is to install one before the splitter. If I did that, it looks like I'd be in a situation where each TV would simultaneously be on a single channel. He thought I might be right, but perhaps others more skilled than I can answer that one.
FYI's:
The splitter (on a Vegas 25.2) is likely under the bed, so requires removal of the platform.
Like others stated, Thor will not swap TV's with able brands/models. Not looking for a freebie, but seems to me that putting out $70k+ for a product should influence Thor to invest in the extra $50 or so to choose a capable option. Given the number of quality issues on my initial 4 trips, this nickel and dime stuff to make it right adds levels of frustration. I knew I'd have to be patient, but... ugggh.
I know the idea is to get out and enjoy nature, but at the times nature doesn't cooperate, or enjoying nature requires recuperation, it'd be nice to be distracted with some television signals for which I thought I already paid.
I know it will get better, and this is the smallest of my Thor issues, but I'm searching for a small "w" at some point. Maybe that will have to wait for spring.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:29 AM   #44

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
I just don't get it.

I have a Seiki TV in the bedroom and every time I've hooked up to a park's cable it works without a hitch, getting all of the channels the TV in the front does. Not that I'm wanting problems, but why hasn't this been a problem for me?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:32 AM   #45

THOR #5743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
I just don't get it.

I have a Seiki TV in the bedroom and every time I've hooked up to a park's cable it works without a hitch, getting all of the channels the TV in the front does. Not that I'm wanting problems, but why hasn't this been a problem for me?
The determining factor is the cable provider for the park. If they do not scramble the signal, any TV will be just fine. That also means that you will likely not know if you will get channels until you have already paid and parked (perhaps for a premium site).
Old 11-08-2016, 02:33 AM   #46

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-mo View Post
The determining factor is the cable provider for the park. If they do not scramble the signal, any TV will be just fine. That also means that you will likely not know if you will get channels until you have already paid and parked (perhaps for a premium site).
Is this more of an east coast issue? I haven't traveled anywhere but out West, and it hasn't been a problem ever.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:35 AM   #47

THOR #5743
Scrambled Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
Is this more of an east coast issue? I haven't traveled anywhere but out West, and it hasn't been a problem ever.
I can't answer that one, but I'm from the Midwest with a sample = 1.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 AM   #48

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
acsnook - was spot on. In all the miles and all the various RV parks, only saw this problem at Fort Wilderness. Wouldn't have believed it possible but had to believe when I saw it personally. We have 4 Seikis and 1 other brand (cannot remember the exact name - it is the 24" TV/DVD player in our top bunk). I believe the issue is the absence of the QAM portion of the tuner. Fortunately the OTA signals were strong at FW and it really wasn't an issue. Most time we use our sat TV receivers but in FW no way.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:06 AM   #49

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The Seiki tv's are analog and are not worth the headache of trying to figure are they going to work or not. Buy a converter so I have something else to mess with, no. I changed my living area and bedroom tv's to Samsung digital, worth the effort and money! Got 14 channels on the antenna before, got 63 now, why? The difference between analog and digital. Brand isn't what is is important, tuner type is.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:06 AM   #50

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3162
Seiki

Seiki TV's are Digital but they do not have Qam Turners. That's because in 2012 the Fcc stopped requiring cable providers to output cable signals in Analog Qam. The cable providers can squeeze 20 encrypted digital channels in the bandwidth it takes to do one Qam channel. They need to keep adding channels to stay competitive with Satellite providers who have no bandwidth restrictions. Time Warner is in the processes of switching over now in NYS. I can no longer just screw their coax cable into the back of any tv and pick up their channels either in the house or the motorhome. Every TV has to have a cable box to decode their channels. They're also using Switched Digital Channels meaning when you tune to a channel the cable box sends a request for that channel and then it is sent to your box. Saves a lot of bandwidth. All the major cable providers are moving in this direction. If your campground is on Satellite or a cable system that has not updated YET, then your all set to just screw in the coax cable. If your in an affected area then you need a cable box. RV Parks affected have to either hand out cable boxes or switch over to a Satellite System. Many RV Parks are opting to eliminate the cable system altogether because so many RVers have their own Satellite systems and instead putting their money into strong WiFi infrastructure.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #51

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Paul, Thank you for the information, very interesting! I looked up the model numbers for my tv's and they did have an analog tuner which is why I got so many more channels over the air with new tv's. Many of the campgrounds do not have cable due to being outside of the cable companies coverage area, if they want to provide tv service they have no choice but to use satellite. If and when it becomes necessary I guess I'll have no choice, again, but to get a converter.

I agree completely that campgrounds are needing to upgrade their wifi, and are doing so. With our connected society consumers are demanding better wifi and parks are beginning to respond by upgrading.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #52

THOR #2601
There is one other factor that complicates this issue. There are SOME Seiki models that do have a QAM tuner. It just happens the cheaper models that Thor elected to install in my Vegas do not have QAM. Additionally there are models of other tv manufacturers that do not possess QAM. So my advice to any TV fanatic buying an RV is to research what make and model tv is installed and then research whether it has QAM.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 11-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #53

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Ed,

The Devil is in the details and with as much that goes into the modern RV...lots of little devils and tons of details! QAM is one of 'em.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #54

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
We have three of them in our Gemini. They are ok sets, resolution tops out at 750, which is watchable, the only issue I have with them, is I can not program our Direct TV remotes to them. It recognizes Seiki, but not the model number we have. For now the work-around is using two remotes, the direct remote for changing channels, the TV remote for volume and turning the et on and off. If I continue to be unsuccessful, the fix is going to be swapping the sets out, probably for Samsung smart TV's.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #55

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3162
Laco, My fix to the remote problem was to use a Harmony 650 Remote. About $59. If Harmony doesn't have the codes you can upload the codes from the original remotes to their database. Once done you setup Activities such as "Watch TV" It will turn on the Satellite Receiver and the TV and control all with the Appropriate button pushes. I've been using Harmony Remotes for 10 years and they control everything with one remote. My greatest concern was not being able to replace the original remote. Now I don't have to worry about it because the codes are stored on Harmony website and linked to my Harmony Remote.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #56

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Update on the direct remote programing issue, direct download a ton of updates to the direct box, including the codes for the Seki TV's we have. Remotes are not programmed to all three sets.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #57

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
There is one other factor that complicates this issue. There are SOME Seiki models that do have a QAM tuner. It just happens the cheaper models that Thor elected to install in my Vegas do not have QAM. Additionally there are models of other tv manufacturers that do not possess QAM. So my advice to any TV fanatic buying an RV is to research what make and model tv is installed and then research whether it has QAM.
How do you tell if your Seiki has QAM?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #58

THOR #2601
Bob -- There is nothing on the TV that tells you. If you have the model number you can google that and see if it has the specs.

Only sure way to tell is when the TVs won't scan channels on an encoded cable system like at Disney's Fort Wilderness. A lot of parks have Direct TV type cable systems and I have never had a problem scanning at those parks. A cable system that would require a box (like Verizon, Comcast, Frontier, etc,) are the ones that will give you a problem because those are encoded. If it is a cable system you can plug into your TV directly and the TV will scan and find the stations those will be good to go.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #59

State: Missouri
THOR #4575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102 View Post
We just bought this Hurricane 31S so I'd have thought the systems would be absolutely up to date but here we are at an RV Park in Florida and we're getting only 17 of the stations they have when there should be over 100 coming in.

The fellow who came over from the Park office to try to help us thinks that these 3 SEIKI TVs are analog TVs and need to be converted to digital.

Has anyone had this problem?

We are thinking to go to Walmart and buy a converter box --- is that the solution? Thats what the fellow at Thor technical support said to do but wouldn't specify any particular kind of box, just said they'd know what we need. Not reassuring.

I called both SEIKI and Thor to try to get some help but everyone seems kind of clueless. You'd think they'd be running into this all the time if the system really does need a converter box. Actually you'd think it would have come with the coach.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. We had a Winnebago View and didn't run into this at any park we stopped at.

Thanks to all!
We have Seiki TVs in our Thor and have not been able to get cable channels at any park that we have been to
Old 07-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #60

State: Missouri
THOR #4575
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-mo View Post
Just like many of you, this weekend I attempted my first cable TV experience, which was unsuccessful. After reading some of these posts, and threads on other RV sites, I educated myself on the decoder issue.
According to the Thor Rep: The decoder is a chip in the TV IS there, but the manufacturer (Seiki) chooses to not pay for the license at this time in order to be able to use it. Other manufacturers also choose not to (according to him), including Element, Septer, Hisense, RCA, and ProScan.
He suggested a decoder box, but while looking at these, it appears to me I'd have to either (a) have separate ones for each TV, or (b) his suggestion is to install one before the splitter. If I did that, it looks like I'd be in a situation where each TV would simultaneously be on a single channel. He thought I might be right, but perhaps others more skilled than I can answer that one.
FYI's:
The splitter (on a Vegas 25.2) is likely under the bed, so requires removal of the platform.
Like others stated, Thor will not swap TV's with able brands/models. Not looking for a freebie, but seems to me that putting out $70k+ for a product should influence Thor to invest in the extra $50 or so to choose a capable option. Given the number of quality issues on my initial 4 trips, this nickel and dime stuff to make it right adds levels of frustration. I knew I'd have to be patient, but... ugggh.
I know the idea is to get out and enjoy nature, but at the times nature doesn't cooperate, or enjoying nature requires recuperation, it'd be nice to be distracted with some television signals for which I thought I already paid.
I know it will get better, and this is the smallest of my Thor issues, but I'm searching for a small "w" at some point. Maybe that will have to wait for spring.
I agree with you. I am just finding this out about our tvs and when you pay so much for your RV, you should have working televisions. If they know that they don't work, they should not be putting them in. I'm very frustrated.