Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #6917
Shore Power and Genset?

So I have 50amp 2 A/C ACE 30.2. I will be headed in two weeks to a location with only 30amp hookups. I know I can only run 1 A/C and limited outlets. My question is.....can I run the Genset at the same time so I can run both AC's? Or do I just run the Genset all the time. I assume the Transfer Switch will limit to either or...........but thought I would ask. I will have 2 doggies in my unit while I am out and want to keep them nice and cool.......

Old 05-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
When generator is running the shore power is by passed so you are only being powered by the generator.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #6917
Thats what I thought, just making sure. I hope that place will allow us to run generator at night
Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felices30.2 View Post
Thats what I thought, just making sure. I hope that place will allow us to run generator at night
I would expect at night you would be fine with 1 A/C... Its during the day in hot sun that you would want both.

My previous 2000 Infinity had an interesting setup - It was a 30A rig with 2 A/C units. A switch in the bedroom controlled which A/C would run off the 30A service... There was provision to plug in another 20A line that would power the second A/C only. Or the genny could power both.

There are adapters like this: Camco 50-Amp Power Grip Power Maximizer Adapter-55025 - The Home Depot that let you connect to both a 30A and 15A outlet - but as indicated they do have issues when a GFCI outlet is involved - as many 15A/20A pedestal outlets will be.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote