Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #1300
Shore Powered Cable TV

OK ...This may be a dumb questions but it sure has me Stumped ?????. How do you use the RV Parks "supplied" Cable TV service. My Ace 30.1 seems not to have a "switching" box to switch form the "over the air antenna" so what do I need to do to use the RV parks Cable service ???. Was recently at two different parks with cable TV service but no amount of tv set up and/or cable scanning would work....I must be missing something dumb !!!!.
Thanks for your reply

Old 06-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishpa View Post
OK ...This may be a dumb questions but it sure has me Stumped ?????. How do you use the RV Parks "supplied" Cable TV service. My Ace 30.1 seems not to have a "switching" box to switch form the "over the air antenna" so what do I need to do to use the RV parks Cable service ???. Was recently at two different parks with cable TV service but no amount of tv set up and/or cable scanning would work....I must be missing something dumb !!!!.
Thanks for your reply
First, this is conditional on all cabling inside the coach being correct.

Have you tried going into the television's menu and selecting cable and then doing an automatic channel search? This is generally required for all televisions in the coach. In my case it has to be done three times at every campground.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Did you switch off the booster on your antennae?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1431
Antenna switch location

We have had our ACE 27.1 for a few weeks, but events conspired to keep me from spending much time on it. However, yesterday I was packing some items in the cupboard above and behind the driver's seat when I noticed a red light shining. Further investigation revealed that the light is on the antenna booster switch. Now that it is found, it works great.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:35 AM   #5

THOR #1300
Yes...switched off the antenna booster....ran cable channel scans on TV's ( in all three modes). It is almost like the outside cable input connections is not hooked up or selected on some remote hidden switch. Guess i need to find the cable leed inside the RV and ring it out to see if it "open or grounded ????. Was hopping I missed something obvious (and easy) but will check with THor before tearing into it. Any other Ideas are appreciated.....Thanks...PS All TV's work well on antenna.....
Old 06-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Also I have found that RV park cable TV is not always reliable. Many times the parks we have been to have marginal cable (weak signal) or no signal at all. While no cable at two parks would seem to rule that out, it is still possible.

Of course, it is equally possible that there is a sheet metal screw sticking through the cable, courtesy of Thor.

You can buy an inexpensive coax tester like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV512-0...SIN=B004ULX9C6

While you might tend to want to have the dealer check it out, you can at least ascertain the problem easily without the hassle of taking it to the dealer and having it sit for a month.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34f
State: Arkansas
THOR #1845
flyfishpa- we had the same problem and figured I would need a coax tester but first I checked under the coach and found that the cable from the front of the coach was connected to the cable coming from the place where the campground cable is plugged into the wall of the coach at the rear of the coach. When I unscrewed this connection I noticed that the copper wire was not sticking out of the connection very far . After I stripped the cover off of the copper a little further and reconnected with longer copper wire going into the connection the reception has been fine. As FW28z said some parks have good cable , some are very weak. I am curious as to your saying you don't have a switch box. Ours is in overhead cabinet above the kitchen area. Along with the antenna booster button there are three buttons for each tv - they are labled air, cable, and sat. As you know we turn off the booster , press the cable button for each tv, and do the cable channel search for each tv. Your problem is likely in the coax cable but it could be not switching each tv to cable if you can't find the switch box.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 AM   #8

THOR #1300
Thanks Gang...Today I found the answer to my Cable TV problem. 3SHOOTER was dead on...Thor said i should have a switching box but none came with my unit. I did find behind the antenna booster a 3way splitter that supplies signal to all 3 TV's. The shore power coax cable is plugged into one side of the booster switch but the wire had pulled free from the connector and was hanging in mid air. Repaired the fitting, reassembled and will test on next outing...Workmanship issue from factory as this was the second cable connector that I repaired. Pretty sure this is a good fix. No Help from Thor but lots of good help here !!!!
Thanks to All
Old 06-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Glad you found the problem.

I've found too that this is the place to go to for help.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #3845
Smile Button from air to cable

We have a 2015 Thor Vegas24.2. We hooked up to campsite cable with no luck until my wife started searching every cabinet and found the button on a very high storage cabinet over the main TV in the back that requires her to climb up with a flashlight. Saw a light and pushed the button and cable came in perfectly. Something the walk through did not mention. However in reading Thor forum we learned about the elusive button. Thanks to everyone posting as we newbies need all the help we can get
Old 05-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Splurge,

When reset that little button and you switch back to AIR from Cable you will probably need to let the TV's (each one of them) do the auto search for stations. I found out the hardway, it works better when you remember to raise the Antenna first.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #12

THOR #1068
I have a ACE 30.2 & my problem is some RV parks cable don't work at all with mine & some do. The ones that do don't come in great. I have direct wired the park cable directly to the tv & get the same results. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. The over air booster is off, cable scan has been done & Ive tried it on all tv's. I'm totally lost why it works in some parks & not in others. Anybody have a clue?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Another issue with some Axis/Vegas is the TVs and the type of cable supplied by the RV Park. The TVs supplied in my RV only have the ATSC tuners. These will work with over-the-air signals and "some" RV Parks.

However, other RV Parks distribute the cable signal as QAM. The Seiki TVs do not tune that. I carry one of those $50 QAM/ATSC digital tuners with HDMI out. I have to route the cable in through the window and can only use 1 TV at a time. The other solution is to swap out the TVs with ones that support both QAM and ATSC tuners.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Coach -- do you have Seiki TVs? Do you know whether the parks where it won't work have an encoded cable signal. Many of the Seiki TV; although they have digital tuners, may not have a QAM tuner. A QAM tuner is required to decode the coded cable signals (like at Disney World Fort Wilderness). Generally at parks that have a dish system the Seiki's will scan fine because the dish system is not endoded.

You can search this forum for "Seiki" or "QAM" and you'll see lots of discussion on decoding cable signals.

I have a Seiki in my living area and outside on my 2015 Vegas 24.1 and they will not scan coded cable signals. They work fine on local park cable systems that are not encoded. We have a Saiyko TV with integrated CD player in the wall of the bedroom. That TV scans ALL cable signals because it has a QAM tuner (the Seikis do not).
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishpa View Post
Yes...switched off the antenna booster....ran cable channel scans on TV's ( in all three modes). It is almost like the outside cable input connections is not hooked up or selected on some remote hidden switch. Guess i need to find the cable leed inside the RV and ring it out to see if it "open or grounded ????. Was hopping I missed something obvious (and easy) but will check with THor before tearing into it. Any other Ideas are appreciated.....Thanks...PS All TV's work well on antenna.....
Are the HDMI cables attached to your tv's ?
and...once again...you have the little green light button set correctly?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have the Seiki tv's and either we have been extremely lucky or
our setup is correct. The build date on our tv via the menu settings
is July 2015
We have camped a couple times where cable was not available and our new antenna worked well.

Below is information,directly, from the Seiki website: SE32HY presuming this our model.

Built-in 3D NTSC Comb Filter
Built-in 3D Video Noise Reduction
Built-in BTSC/SAP
Over-the-air ATSC/NTSC RF Input Support
Digital/analog Channel Auto Tuning
V-CHIP Support/CCD/Favorite Channel
Component + HDMI Supports
OSD Language English/French/Spanish
USB Support for MP3 Audio and JPEG Images

In addition, I went deep into the menu to look for QAM settings and found nothing which referenced same.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #17

THOR #1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Coach -- do you have Seiki TVs? Do you know whether the parks where it won't work have an encoded cable signal. Many of the Seiki TV; although they have digital tuners, may not have a QAM tuner. A QAM tuner is required to decode the coded cable signals (like at Disney World Fort Wilderness). Generally at parks that have a dish system the Seiki's will scan fine because the dish system is not endoded.

You can search this forum for "Seiki" or "QAM" and you'll see lots of discussion on decoding cable signals.

I have a Seiki in my living area and outside on my 2015 Vegas 24.1 and they will not scan coded cable signals. They work fine on local park cable systems that are not encoded. We have a Saiyko TV with integrated CD player in the wall of the bedroom. That TV scans ALL cable signals because it has a QAM tuner (the Seikis do not).

Yes.. All 3 of my sets are Seiki's & none of them seem to have QAM although Thor tells me they do. If I replace them & cable decides to start scrambling their cable, then I'm afraid none of us will be able to get cable unless the parks offer cable boxes. Then you have to run the cable in thru a window & hook the box into 1 tv only.

I'm wondering if I buy a cable box with QAM & they start scrambling cable then it won't pick up either & you could only use the box provided by the campground.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #18

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
on our 2014 Vegas, the switchbox for cable/antenna was way up inside the top cabinet over the kitchen sink far back. You could not see it without using a stepstool, if you weren't 7 feet tall. Totally stupid location for a switch that gets used frequently. I added jumper coax cables and re-located the switch to the lower part of the cabinet where anyone can see and operate it more easily. It is obvious that the boneheads who design and engineer these coaches do not live in them or use them at all. This was just one of a dozen ease-of-living adjustments and corrections I have made since we bought the coach.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #19

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Splurge,

I found out the hardway, it works better when you remember to raise the Antenna first.

Doc
After having an antennae vs elm tree session, updated to a Jack antennae..
Yes I have "sometimers"
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #20

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Saddlesore,

I've got to ask, "What is a Jack Antenna and what is it's claim to fame (other than not picking on innocent elm trees)?"

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable