Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
side-view mirrors how far do they stick out, how to dismount

Thinking of installing a Palram Arcadia carport for our thor vegas 27.7, but it is 128 inches (10.6ft) wide, The rv hole on our new house is normally 12 feet wide. This would fit inside.

We just bought our thor and I realize they set them up at the dealership and I have no idea if they fold flat against the sides.

I'm not at RV storage and wonder how far the mirrors stick out and how to dismount them if you can't fold them. Any ideas? Sorry I'm such a dunce, but never thought to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Do not know about your Vegas but my ACE mirrors stick out about 12 inch each and do not move.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Axis/Vegas mirrors do not fold flat--they are fixed.

The best you could do would be loosen the set screws and turn them parallel to the coach.

Keep in mind the front of the Axis/Vegas is tapered so that the mirrors may not stick out as much as you think. (The RV by itself is only 94 inches wide, see here: https://www.thormotorcoach.com/vegas/specs/ -- not sure where you're getting 128 inches?)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Axis/Vegas mirrors do not fold flat--they are fixed.

The best you could do would be loosen the set screws and turn them parallel to the coach.

Keep in mind the front of the Axis/Vegas is tapered so that the mirrors may not stick out as much as you think. (The RV by itself is only 94 inches wide, see here: https://www.thormotorcoach.com/vegas/specs/ -- not sure where you're getting 128 inches?)
Agree! The widest the RV could be legally is 8.5 feet (102 Inches).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I don't know the measurement; but they ALL stick out far enough to leave an "unintended mark" on your forehead...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
While I have seen the 102” trailer limit in many DOT sites, RV manufacturers obvious don’t pay any attention to this limit. My Axis is 94” wide without the mirrors, and the fixed mirrors are just Over 11” a piece. That adds up to 94” + 22 (or 23 to be safe) for a total width of 116”. I have 10’ or 120” width mounted next to the drivers seat along with the 11’6” height (although Thor says 11’ 3” just for a quick reference when I come up unexpectedly on low bridges or narrow ramps or construction. The ACE is listed as 99” width or 5” wider than the Axis and I think the mirrors are just as wide as the Axis which would put it at least 121” or over 10’. There is a little bit of “taper” to the front of the Axis, but I don’t think it is enough to make much of a difference. I’ve “squeezed” my Axis into 10’ openings at garages to change the oil, but you have to be real careful that the rear tracks straight. Best to back out, if you can.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
While I have seen the 102” trailer limit in many DOT sites, RV manufacturers obvious don’t pay any attention to this limit. My Axis is 94” wide without the mirrors, and the fixed mirrors are just Over 11” a piece. That adds up to 94” + 22 (or 23 to be safe) for a total width of 116”. I have 10’ or 120” width mounted next to the drivers seat along with the 11’6” height (although Thor says 11’ 3” just for a quick reference when I come up unexpectedly on low bridges or narrow ramps or construction. The ACE is listed as 99” width or 5” wider than the Axis and I think the mirrors are just as wide as the Axis which would put it at least 121” or over 10’. There is a little bit of “taper” to the front of the Axis, but I don’t think it is enough to make much of a difference. I’ve “squeezed” my Axis into 10’ openings at garages to change the oil, but you have to be real careful that the rear tracks straight. Best to back out, if you can.
That's because the legal limit of 8'6" does not include mirrors, only the body of the vehicle.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #8

THOR #1765
That’s true in some states, but not all. Some do not list any exceptions and others only allow mirrors 3” or 6” beyond the 102”. This is a list of all state restrictions.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php

You don’t see anyone getting tickets for this and it is not something to worry yourself about, but the laws are out there.

While RVs are exempted from Federal limitations on the 102” width limit, some states have additional limitations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	151886EE-3A95-4E2E-9CF5-540ECB303A9C.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	17080  
Old 05-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

THOR #1765
The only worry that I can think of is if you are involved in an accident in your RV that is legally outside the limits set by that state, some smart lawyer might be able to use that against you.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you live your life in fear of what "some smart Lawyer" might find: are you really living?

Try to do the best that you can...
Old 05-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #11

THOR #1765
As I said, I don’t think that this is something that keeps me up at night, but the fact that my Axis - the narrowest of the Class A RVs - is outside the law in 29 states is not particularly comforting.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
The Axis Mirror arms will fold in some, maybe not totaly flat - never tried that. But if you need a couple of inches total - not a problem.

I moved mine a few times to try and help wth wind noise on the interstate. Right now I have them moved in (so at a angle with the wind) as far as I can go and still have full field of vision in my mirrors.

And to answer your next question... I can NOT tell a difference with wind noise levels..... but I would think it would help some when trucks pass you or high winds will driving on the interstate?? Hard to say. I have not been on any long trips lately.

Plus I figured if a bird or rock hits the mirror they might deflect to the sides instead of making full impact with the mirror (might prevent damage?). Cant hurt.

I Spray some dry lube at piviot points a couple times a year so they dont rust in place. So far so good

If your dont move try some pentatrating lube.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #13

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you live your life in fear of what "some smart Lawyer" might find: are you really living?
:
Well at least we didn't get to "your Insurance company will not cover your illegal mirror related accident".
(Sorry Oneilkeys) Of course my mirrors fold flat..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
YOu're right: we DID manage to miss that part of the ridiculousness...
But if you seen an insurance claims adjuster lurking... : just fold them in...
Old 05-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
The answer for the Thor Vegas 27.7 turned out to be, they are not foldable or movable at the connect to the body (four bolts hold them on), They stick out 13 inches but are at an angle. The body is 8 foot wide and with the mirrors 10 feet clears (barely). You guys are lifesavers. I have missed so many problems with your advice.

BTW, the Palram unit forms a great looking rv cover that the HOA even likes (OMG)...