Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Mississippi
THOR #2576
Slides in or out?

When RV is sitting at home is it best to leave slides in or out? Does it even matter?

Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #2

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
If we're not going to travel for a couple of weeks we'll leave everything in. We only leave ours out while we're packing for our next trip. I wouldn't leave out for an extended period of time without using because it could allow bugs and other creatures get in or debris build-up on the roof or awning covering the roof of the slide out. Just my 2 cents worth.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 AM   #3

Model: ACE
State: Mississippi
THOR #2576
Walker

That makes sense. Good tip. Thks.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Since I tinker around in the coach when it is parked at the house I will generally leave mine out unless we are scheduled for a heavy rain and then I will pull them in. I will periodically retract the slides and raise the leveling jacks for a couple of days and then level the coach and extend the slides. Doing this, IMO, exercises the systems and allows me to identify potential problems long before a scheduled trip. As to bugs, the slides should be sealed well enough to keep bugs and critters out. If not, you need to replace the seals.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
I am with Dave on this one. I mess around with ours all the time so when I get home I do the leveling thing slides out and even hook up to a 20 amp service. Flush out my black tank. Now we can clean and fix a few things here and there and some times we even go out to watch tv and play cards. No bugs ever get in when closed up and no trees to close buy to worry about stuff on top. But normally never sets longer than 2 week like this because we are always taken week end trips. Right or wrong that's just the way we do it.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:43 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
I usually level and extend my slides when parked at my home for 2 purposes:

1) During the week I'll clean it thoroughly, and restock supplies for our next trip.

2) I use it as a work office so I don't disturb my wife when she sleeps during the day (She works nights).

Im fortunately able to keep my unit parked at my home hooked to a 50amp circuit, and keep the AC on (set to 85*) when parked and to charge the house batteries.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
.....cut....

As to bugs, the slides should be sealed well enough to keep bugs and critters out. If not, you need to replace the seals.
You should mention that to Thor, because three brand new Axis/Vegas we looked at parked next to each other were pretty much like this at each bottom corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2161  
Old 06-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You should mention that to Thor, because three brand new Axis/Vegas we looked at parked next to each other were pretty much like this at each bottom corner.
Nah, I don't need to mention this to Thor. You might want to look at the seals on the inside of the coach, which seal the unit when the slide is open, and also look at the bulb seals that run along the outside wall which seal the unit when the slide is closed. Your single picture is subjective in this discussion and to be objective it should also include pictures of all interior and exterior seals along the slide wall.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
I as well have 50 amp service on the side of the house. I keep the coach plugged in and have the AC set in the summer to reduce the humidity inside the coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Nah, I don't need to mention this to Thor. You might want to look at the seals on the inside of the coach, which seal the unit when the slide is open, and also look at the bulb seals that run along the outside wall which seal the unit when the slide is closed. Your single picture is subjective in this discussion and to be objective it should also include pictures of all interior and exterior seals along the slide wall.
Here is a second picture of the other side. Same size hole. I didn't post them all because I didn't see the point.

Subjective, objective, believe what you want. All I know is these units had holes large enough for me to stick my finger through and wiggle it around a good bit without bottoming out.

My biggest concern would be a driving rain blowing water into any of these holes (check out recent flooding in Houston -- we can get some really heavy rain), particularly since I can't find where it would eventually exit except to the inside of the motorhome.

You mentioned bugs and critters first. I see these holes plenty large enough for ants, bees, wasps, roaches, lizards, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	2168  
Old 06-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Here is a second picture of the other side. Same size hole. I didn't post them all because I didn't see the point.

Subjective, objective, believe what you want. All I know is these units had holes large enough for me to stick my finger through and wiggle it around a good bit without bottoming out.

My biggest concern would be a driving rain blowing water into any of these holes (check out recent flooding in Houston -- we can get some really heavy rain), particularly since I can't find where it would eventually exit except to the inside of the motorhome.

You mentioned bugs and critters first. I see these holes plenty large enough for ants, bees, wasps, roaches, lizards, etc.
Chance,

What you point out is a valid concern, however, when gaps are found in the seals the owner, or potential owner, needs to raise the issue and get the seals repaired. I did just that on my Challenger when the lower exterior seal was peeling away. Here is the write up for that warranty repair:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J# 2 75DTZ01 RV CONCERN TECH(S):147477 WARRANTY
Kitchen slide rear outside seal loose (not secured) on
the bottom. This looks like the adhesive has come loose.
ADHESIVE GLUE FAILED TO HOLD SLIDE SEAL
I WOULD HAVE TO CLEAN OF ADHESIVE AND PELL OFF DOUBBLE
SIDED TAPE,NEED PREAUTH FOR.4 THEN ADD NEW TAPE
THOR APPROVED .5
JOB COMPLETE..5

PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE-
JOB # 2 TOTAL PARTS 0.00

JOB # 2 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS 0.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to heavy rains, we get our share as well. I have not had any water infiltration around the seals. On my prior class c during heavy rains I would get water coming in through the roof mounted refrigerator vent but not through slide seals.

As for creepy crawly things, I find more of those trying to get in my coach through the roof mounted vents and fans than through the slide seals. Then there are the areas around the water heater, furnace and on the prior class C the roof and side wall refrigerator vents. Last summer while I was on a business trip I had wasps get into the bathroom through the ceiling vent/fan and build a nest hanging from the screen. Took three days to get them all.

For me, at least, there is more benefit and less hassle to keep the slides out than there is to retract them. With the slides out I have access to all cabinets and drawers and can prep the coach for its next voyage at my leisure and with less wear and tear on slides and slide components.
FMCA - F432054