Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #14141
2019 Thor Quantum SW31 Stove Igniting

Are the burners on the coach stove supposed to have igniters? I cannot find any reference to this and my coach does not appear to have them.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 AM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
I thought I had the same problem until I got to digging around. There is a place for a D-cell battery accessible from underneath, and Thor can't afford to give everybody a battery. Mine was missing. I put one in and all is well.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Our ws31 has a piezo igniter. It makes a horrible racket clicking it in the metal stove frame! Wish I had the battery style to put a battery in! :/
Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The old fashioned "stick lighter" is the best medicine. I have the piezo knob on the left but it sounds like a kid with a bicycle just crashed into the front end when you click it. I keep several of the sticks in the drawer next to the stovetop.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Once I got a battery in mine, I have had no problems. Yes it clicks, but not so loud or much that it is annoying. I do keep a stick lighter available for emergencies. And yes, not getting the stove lit can be classified as an emergency. I need food!!! [emoji4]
Old 01-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #6

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
The dealer I bought my Chateau 31E from said there was no igniter. Then I read the manual for the stove and found that battery compartment underneath the cooktop. Now it works like a champ -- just turn the knob to the * position and push down to get the igniter clicking.

I rarely use my gas stove, though. I usually camp with electrical hookups, and I use an electric skillet (usually set up outside) to cook stuff like eggs, bacon, pancakes, and grilled cheese. And I use a Weber Q grill for burgers, hot dogs, sausages, steaks, and chicken.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
The dealer I bought my Chateau 31E from said there was no igniter. Then I read the manual for the stove and found that battery compartment underneath the cooktop. Now it works like a champ -- just turn the knob to the * position and push down to get the igniter clicking.

I rarely use my gas stove, though. I usually camp with electrical hookups, and I use an electric skillet (usually set up outside) to cook stuff like eggs, bacon, pancakes, and grilled cheese. And I use a Weber Q grill for burgers, hot dogs, sausages, steaks, and chicken.

Same here...the smell of bacon from the morning keeps me awake the following night. I have a portable outside kitchen and its the go-to for most meals. I have the Magellan grill and can smoke small quantities of meat as it's a dual burner.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote