Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Mystery: Fresh water tank filled up on its own

The DW and I went hiking today. When we got back about 7 hours later I had water dripping from the rig. Closer inspection revealed that the fresh water tank was overflowing. Odd, as I only keep about 20 gallons in it and I had not moved any valves in the last five weeks we've been on the road. We always use the campground water wherever we are. and this is the first time it has happened. We do use the water pump on occasion when we move.

I turned off CG water and drained the freshwater tank. After draining and with the drain still open, I turned the water back on to see if any water would come out. Nothing.

Any ideas on how this occurred?

Old 09-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Had the same thing happen on my Vegas. Think it was some grit in the check valve of the pump. Was on city water and I heard water running outside. Went out and looked and water was flowing g out the overflow of the fresh water tank inlet.

Shut off water. Turned on pump and ran it for a minute. Turned city water back on and drained the tank. Never had a problem again.

Figured a piece of grip in the check valve was allowing g water to flow through the pump (backwards) into the tank.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Had the same thing happen on my Vegas. Think it was some grit in the check valve of the pump. Was on city water and I heard water running outside. Went out and looked and water was flowing g out the overflow of the fresh water tank inlet.

Shut off water. Turned on pump and ran it for a minute. Turned city water back on and drained the tank. Never had a problem again.

Figured a piece of grip in the check valve was allowing g water to flow through the pump (backwards) into the tank.
Thanks. I checked the freshwater water tank this morning and no water had been added over night. Yesterday I had flipped the tank fill/city valve to make sure it wasn’t in the wrong direction…might have broken loose whatever was interfering with the check valve.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
All the more reason to be using the water pump/holding tank instead of city water because it serves as a audible leak detection system. When the pump cycles "excessively" without any water taps open it is time to investigate. JMO
Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Another good practice is to when hooked up to campground faucet; turn it off when leaving your RV for any length of time. Just in case something breaks loose while you are away.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #6

THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Another good practice is to when hooked up to campground faucet; turn it off when leaving your RV for any length of time. Just in case something breaks loose while you are away.
That is a great idea and one that did not even cross my mind. D'oh!

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Good advise, even with pressure regulators in use water fittings can fail. Have read about more than one RVer returning to their rig to see water running out the doors!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Smile

we've had this happen several times, even after replacement of the Anderson 4Way Valve by the factory on two occassions - so...

i decided to get wise and install an in-line faucet style 'cut off' valve between the Anderson valve and the water line to the water Tank. now I can rest assured that the filling does not happen unless I want it to.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
we've had this happen several times, even after replacement of the Anderson 4Way Valve by the factory on two occassions - so...

i decided to get wise and install an in-line faucet style 'cut off' valve between the Anderson valve and the water line to the water Tank. now I can rest assured that the filling does not happen unless I want it to.
I've been experiencing the same issues. Do you have any pictures of the shut off valve you added after the Kantleak 4 way valve? I also sometimes have poor water pressure on city water which I presume is from water also flowing to the fresh water tank. Did the shut off valve solve that problem too? TIA