Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Suggestions for Humidity Control

(2018 Hurricane 29M)

Looking for some suggestions on humidity control.

Rig is parked in South Carolina (near the coast) and is often empty for 4 weeks at a time.

We do have shore power and good wifi. I can also monitor the inside humidity remotely.

Planning on plugging in a dehumidifier (draining to exterior) into a smart plug so I can turn on/off remotely as needed.

Some questions:
- what is an ideal max humidity level to maintain?
- should I leave open any vents?
- any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I leave my A/C set at 81 or 82 and it keeps unit dry.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What if you use a fan, to keep the air moving?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A/C...it's already there for that purpose. The less "stuff" you put in them, the better.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Is your in full sun?

Personally I would not run my AC unit for more than a day if Im not around the RV. Im afraid something might go wrong (fire? Water damage etc) plus the wear and tear on the AC unit.

I know in a house they tell you around 35 % is ideal but 30 to 40 is pretty common in a house.

I would say shoot for something below 50% (45%) and your doing well in a hot and humid climate.

I use the bucket size of Damp Rid and replace after like 3 mo. But my RV is indoors (insulated storage unit) so its dont get above 85 - 88 deg inside and I can leave my roof vents and one or two windows open so the air is not stagnage. But a humifier would be better esp if your not filling up your grey (or black) tank.

I think your on the right track.... Set you humidifyer for like 45 % (if it has a digital gauge) and see what you think. You might be able to go lower (40%) but I bet it never shuts off during the day at that %.

Most likely you will want to leave it on 24/7.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

THOR #11130
You are in Arkansas and your RV is indoors, in an insulated building. His is in Coastal South Carolina...outdoors. This environment down here is murder on RV's. Humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Those little "mop buckets" will saturate in two days. 66 years of living in this climate...run the A/C's. Mildew lurks around every corner waiting on the unprepared. You need to stay miles ahead of moisture and mildew. Some folks here do use de-humidifiers...but they're just a supplement to the A/C's.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #7

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You are in Arkansas and your RV is indoors, in an insulated building. His is in Coastal South Carolina...outdoors. This environment down here is murder on RV's. Humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Those little "mop buckets" will saturate in two days. 66 years of living in this climate...run the A/C's. Mildew lurks around every corner waiting on the unprepared. You need to stay miles ahead of moisture and mildew. Some folks here do use de-humidifiers...but they're just a supplement to the A/C's.
Yep, I know this.... Thats why I think his Humidifier will be on 24/7 if he shoots for 45% humidity level.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #8

THOR #11130
You suggested he not run A/C. A/C is the only thing that will blow cool, dry air around the entire coach, purging all areas behind cabinets, drawers, etc. Been there...still here...coastal, damp, hot, salty, marshy humidity is murder and a dehumidifier alone won't cut it. Either way, he now has two very professional opinions from the best out here.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You suggested he not run A/C. A/C is the only thing that will blow cool, dry air around the entire coach, purging all areas behind cabinets, drawers, etc. Been there...still here...coastal, damp, hot, salty, marshy humidity is murder and a dehumidifier alone won't cut it. Either way, he now has two very professional opinions from the best out here.
Either way should be good options for him.

I good humidifier that is designed for a large room (like around 300 - 500 sq feet) should keep the humity in check. I would not use a small one - it will wear out to quickly and not get the air dry enough - plus might need a roof vent open to let heat out + extra heat generated by this HF.

Sure AC would be better.... but IMO its not worth the wear and tear and risk leaving the AC on for a long period of time when Im not at the location. We all know the QC of the modern RV.

But these are two good options for him.

Is his power source 30 amp or just 15 amp?? 15 amp could hurt the AC unit (esp over time with a the high load of heat and humidity). That was another reason I would NOT personally run the AC.

Now at home I have a 30 amp hookup for my RV and I would run it all day when working inside or before a trip (or for a guest room if needed). But I still shut it off at night to be safe (if no one sleeping inside RV).
Old 02-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #10

THOR #11774
Thanks everyone for the great feedback and advice.

Some additional info based on questions asked here:

- I have quality 50amp service and WiFi.
- I could be away from the rig for up to four weeks at a time. I have metered electric so pay for what I use. Will run what is needed for as long as needed but don't want to run 7 X 24 if not needed.
- I do have full-timer neibours but don't want to have to overly rely on them.
- The dehumidifier I have is well sized (oversized probably) for the rig and has a precise humidity setting). When away I leave it in the shower to drain with grey open (may change that to another location with exterior draining)
- I can monitor the humidity remotely (internal Wifi camera pointed at my temperature / humidity gauge that measures inside and out.
- Location is Hilton Head, SC so high humidity expected in the summer months.

Here is my plan so far:
- plug the humidifier into a WiFi smart plug (so I can turn on/off as needed remotely).
- upgrade my cheap stock Coleman analog thermostat to a Wifi until that will allow me to fully control the AC and fan remotely.
- I may leave a vent open (still considering that item)

Thoughts or final suggestions.

Thanks all!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 AM   #11

THOR #12231
Well it sounds like you have a good setup figured out. You could always start out without the AC then either remotely turn it on as needed or have your neighbor help you out.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 AM   #12

THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well it sounds like you have a good setup figured out. You could always start out without the AC then either remotely turn it on as needed or have your neighbor help you out.

That's the plan. Run the dehumidifier remotely as needed and then augment with the AC remotely as well. Probably keep the vent closed to max the AC.

Just picked up the smart plug and WiFi thermostat this evening. Hoping to install it all this weekend.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:18 AM   #13

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Sounds like you have a good plan.
Amazing, the technology now-a-days, to remotely control all that from so very far away.
Too bad you cannot change humidity setting remotely too. or can you?
Let us know what setting worked the best.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #14

THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan.
Amazing, the technology now-a-days, to remotely control all that from so very far away.
Too bad you cannot change humidity setting remotely too. or can you?
Let us know what setting worked the best.

No way to change the humidity setting remotely that I know of.

The dehumidifier I have allow me to set a humidity percentage setting but only from the front pannel.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Many of us in the Ozarks have de-humidifiers operating in the basement or crawlspace year round

Add a small fan to circulate the air and you should be fine

45-50 % as noted above

Heat pumps do a great job de-humidifying as well, bit better than a traditional ac
Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I retired in February 2018 from a medical plasma manufacturing operation. My experience with dehumidifiers is large scale to keep mold/mildew from forming on the outside of freezers from 5C all the way down to -40C. Some of these are large enough to park a dozen Vegas size RVs in. We found energy for de-humidification vs straight cooling to be high. Keeping conventional A/C cycling was overall most cost effective and gave steady results.

I have benefit of my unit sitting in yard connected to 30 AMP. Keeping unit at 81f to 82f keeps inside nice and dry. During normal summer day (90% of the year) you workk outside then go into RV it feels crisp.

Running equipment seems much better for actual life of equipment from my experience. We never warm the fridge in RV with the thought that going from cold to warm and back again just makes no sense. Every change in temp creates thermal stress. Interesting to note that in almost 3 years of constant run, I have only defrosted once. Between us, Grandson and guys at track the door gets a workout.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #17

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I retired in February 2018 from a medical plasma manufacturing operation. My experience with dehumidifiers is large scale to keep mold/mildew from forming on the outside of freezers from 5C all the way down to -40C. Some of these are large enough to park a dozen Vegas size RVs in. We found energy for de-humidification vs straight cooling to be high. Keeping conventional A/C cycling was overall most cost effective and gave steady results.

I have benefit of my unit sitting in yard connected to 30 AMP. Keeping unit at 81f to 82f keeps inside nice and dry. During normal summer day (90% of the year) you workk outside then go into RV it feels crisp.

Running equipment seems much better for actual life of equipment from my experience. We never warm the fridge in RV with the thought that going from cold to warm and back again just makes no sense. Every change in temp creates thermal stress. Interesting to note that in almost 3 years of constant run, I have only defrosted once. Between us, Grandson and guys at track the door gets a workout.

^^Ditto^^ Mine stays plugged in 24/7 at home with fridge running...(hint: residential fridge). I alternate the A/C's every few days or so but leave one on at 80 degrees. Cost of new A/C (although I've never had to replace one over many campers for many years) is very cheap compared to the cost of mildew, swelling and shrinking interior wood products from moisture, and just the enjoyment of "happy hour" in the yard at a moments notice. There are many options...do what works for you in your specific environment.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Lots of thoughts and opinions and that is what the forum is all about

I leave the fridge running as well at the lake house which just seems to make sense

In the Tuscany and my other prior units I never liked leaving the AC running and so went the dehumidifier route when needed. Back then I only had one AC and sure wanted it to perform well when on the road

Bottom line is you don't want high humidity in a home or RV given all the issues that stem from it
Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #19

THOR #12231
Ok, I have changed my mind.

You guys brought up some great points. In reality the AC unit does not cost that much. I rather not have mold/mildew.... not to mention damaged warped wood. If it was just a few days thats one thing but a month or two is another.

IMO if it meets this criteria below I would run the AC at like 82 deg.:

1). Your RV is outside all the time (even if in the shade) and exposed to high humidity AND you have 30 or 50 amp service.

2). You have Wifi with a camera and and Wifi thermostat + Wifi contolled outlets so you can control fans / de-humidifyer etc.

3). You have a neighbor you trust with your keys to turn something off or un plug if something goes haywire. I think I would tell him to enter the RV a few times a week to check things out. He might smell something electrical or hear a noise he dont like.

I would NEVER leave it for multiple days with the generator on for you only power supply.

I still have concerns about not being around the RV when stuff is hooked up and running but with this modern WIFI stuff that allows you to check and turn on or off stuff that would help me greatly overcome my concerns.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #20

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
Some questions:
- what is an ideal max humidity level to maintain?
- should I leave open any vents?
- any other suggestions?

We purchased a room-size electric dehumidifier (takes care of 400 sq. ft., which is just a bit more than the RV interior). We set it in the shower, so the water pulled from the air drains down the shower drain (no need to continually have to dump the water reservoir). It is set at 35%. Obviously, we have "ship to shore" power. When we were in Galveston in January, the outside humidity was almost 100%; inside we were able to maintain around 40%.