Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: California
THOR #9032
Sway problems

We have a new synergy and it is really unstable. We are adding heavier anti sway bars. Anyone else found this or another solution? Hoping this helps.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I would put some miles on it after the new bars are installed. You may need to test them out over a period of time in different wind conditions and speeds to really determine if they did what you wanted.

We have a different model (Challenger 37GT) but needed suspension modifications badly. Started by doing CHF (cheap handling fix) and front end alignment. Then we took a trip about 150 miles away. Determined it still didn't handle the way we wanted.

Next we had a Safe T Plus installed and Sumo springs. Now it handles as close to a diesel pusher as you can get.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

THOR #9032
thanks another question...

Does the CHF apply to the Mercedes Sprinter chassi as well as the Ford? If so maybe the mechanic could do that when he does the bars?
This is such a wonderful resource! I have read many comments already full of ideas!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbi236 View Post
Does the CHF apply to the Mercedes Sprinter chassi as well as the Ford? If so maybe the mechanic could do that when he does the bars?
This is such a wonderful resource! I have read many comments already full of ideas!
Unfortunately, no... the CHF is only for the Ford F-53 chassis.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
First question should be: Have you had your Synergy aligned? You would think that unnecessary in a brand new coach, but many have found that simple step fixed most or all of their handling issues.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

THOR #9032
Sway Problems

Thanks I have made the appt. Hard to believe a new coach is not delivered from the factory with all these things done.
I wonder if any are? This is a great resource I will be following regularly!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Thanks I have made the appt. Hard to believe a new coach is not delivered from the factory with all these things done.
I wonder if any are? This is a great resource I will be following regularly!
Catalog | Redlands RV and Truck Performance Center Just for your info, look at page 11 of this catalog. Your complaints about the Sprinter chassis (you do have this, right?) are not new. This service center seems to have a steady stream of Sprinters coming in for this entire installation.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #8

THOR #6320
I agree they should be done at the factory, but they are not. Had to bring my 2017 Axis to a truck shop only to find out one of the connections was put in backward. I then bought the Safe-T-Plus and camping world attached it to the sway bar. Something in the steering after that didn’t seem right and I went to the truck alignment place. They fixed it as it was supposed to be (attached to the steering linkage) and it has been super. After a cross country trip the steering was great. Even one-handed driving through the mountains.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:

SumoSprings really help!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #10

THOR #10326
We put Helwig upgraded sway bars on our 2018 Four Winds 24f. It is like we have a new vehicle, a pleasure to drive. I couldn’t recommend them more.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:33 AM   #11

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I don't know to what degree your RV is unstable, but this is our forth motor home and they all are unstable compared to a car or pickup. I drive accordingly.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:35 AM   #12

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
We have a new synergy and it is really unstable. We are adding heavier anti sway bars. Anyone else found this or another solution? Hoping this helps.
I have a 18 Thor Freedom Elite on F350 chassis and added SafeTPlus because I felt it was wandering more than I liked. Made some difference but not to my liking. Talked to some R.V. folks in Oregon and they said best to add a trac bar to that chassis to stabilize the sway from passing trucks, wind etc. which I plan to do this spring. I'm in WA. and found an R.V. repair shop about 40 minutes south of where I'm at and plan to have them to the job. Quoted cost between 500-600 for parts and about 2 hours labor which I think is fair. Won't take it back to C.W. for this. They're the ones who put the SafeTPlus on for me and when I picked it up, didn't even make it to the freeway before I noticed it pulled like the dickens to the left. Took them 4 test drives with me in the passenger seat before they got it right to trac straight. Obvious to me, they did the install and didn't even test drive after, AND I asked the service writer if they did which he said yes. Bunch of bull pucky. No way did they test drive it. After that cost of $800. I have no confidence in them working on my rig. Talk to good independent R.V. repair shop about your problem and perhaps a trac bar add on to help..
Old 01-29-2018, 03:46 AM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’d be more upset that they charged $800 for a 30 minute job! Installation and adjustment is very easy and 4 tries to get it right is not unusual.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #14

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Yes, I've learned they overcharge on everything, but as far as adjustments, as I posted, I "was told" it was test driven and ready to go, that's what pissed me off, not the $800. That could have easily got me into an accident, since it pulled hard left when I hit the brakes forcing me out of my lane if I wasn't prepared for it, or if my Wife picked it up, Her.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
If you're near Atlanta, it's a great experience to have Safe-T-Llus installed at their factory. They did mine and I drove the test flight...perfect the first time. Less $ than CW and we just hung in camper while they worked (apart from getting factory tour).
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote