Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #41
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Look at your source... it MIGHT just have a bit of agenda that it's working hard to promote...
I prefer something a bit more.,.. independent!
LOL yes I know the source I read it all the time, as you say I'm a little bit biased myself .

However, reading the article they only are pointing out the manufacturer reported times.

I only posted the link to provide another datapoint..not trying to "win" (I rarely try to "win" on the forums here as there is no point it just alienates people. Thus I just try to provide "data" and let everyone make up their own minds--yes granted this "data" is from a biased source, but that only means you take the data with a grain of salt not necessarily throw it out whole cloth).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I agree cost has to play a major role in many decisions. When relative costs are similar, then I have to assume it makes the decision that much easier because we can focus on which option we like best independent of cost.

I roughly estimate that the Xantrex 600 Amp-hour system with 3,000-watt inverter/charger and stand-alone 280-Amp alternator "should" cost about the same as a diesel generator often installed in Sprinter vans.

For the kind of touring we do, and knowing how little use we've ever gotten out of generators, I'd personally take the much larger lithium battery bank, plus an inverter that can run A/C and microwave (or coffee maker) at same time, plus a heavy-duty 280-Amp stand-alone alternator that could recharge the batteries in 3 or 4 hours of normal driving. Or power the roof A/C while driving and recharge batteries at same time although at slower rate.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #43
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LOL! Chance is trying hard to keep this on topic.

Sorry about that Chance.

With a 3kW inverter/charger you'd have to have one of those high efficiency A/C's; not the standard clunkers that's on all the Thors though. That may increase the cost simply because I'm sure the clunkers are far less expensive than the more efficient ones.

I would love a system such as that in our Axis: No only does not having a genny mean less noise when you need 120V it also means there is no associated CO risk. Our usage would be similar to yours: We wouldn't need a very large battery bank as we're only boondocking while traveling and overnighting somewhere en route.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: Would these system (that render a generator obsolete...) allow for a more efficient use of available space?
Or would they end up using more?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #45

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL! Chance is trying hard to keep this on topic.

Sorry about that Chance.

With a 3kW inverter/charger you'd have to have one of those high efficiency A/C's; not the standard clunkers that's on all the Thors though. That may increase the cost simply because I'm sure the clunkers are far less expensive than the more efficient ones.

I would love a system such as that in our Axis: No only does not having a genny mean less noise when you need 120V it also means there is no associated CO risk. Our usage would be similar to yours: We wouldn't need a very large battery bank as we're only boondocking while traveling and overnighting somewhere en route.
Not at all. The car stuff interest me also. As I said a while back, my cousin's Tesla with five adults was the fastest car I've ever been in as far as acceleration, and that included Chevy SS 396 and Mustang 428 Cobra Jet. The Tesla would have smoked them.

Specs on the Xantrex system will be coming out next week during national RV show, which I'm looking forward to see in detail, but the Coachmen ad shows the inverter/charger model. It is rated at 3,000 watts, but can surge to 6,000 watts. If A/C is already running, it should be no problem starting and running an additional 1,500 watts or so for microwave, coffee maker, or hair dryer. And that's without going over the actual rating. The potential is huge if Xantrex can integrate this system to make it reliable while still affordable.

Regarding A/C, yeah, I think they should all be Power Savers or similar. For an Axis I'd prefer two 11,000 BTU/hr units so that front could be run during the day while driving, and rear in bedroom at night off batteries while boondocking.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #46

THOR #2121
Quote:
Question: Would these system (that render a generator obsolete...) allow for a more efficient use of available space?
Or would they end up using more?
Good question. Since motorhomes have house batteries regardless, and many are going to also have smaller inverters anyway, I would guess it won't make much difference in total space.

However, the new system should allow for better and more efficient packaging, which effectively should seem like space savings.

Unlike generators or flooded batteries, lithium batteries don't require access for maintenance, so they can be installed in remote locations. In the case of Axis 24.1 ( what I wanted), getting rid of generator could allow for a larger MegaStorage compartment like on other models. It could add usable space if engineered right (big assumption ).
Old 11-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
By the way: what year was the SS 396?
I just had a chance to drive a client's SS 396 (1970) that had been built to just over 500 horsepower.
It was... nice: but it wouldn't have had a chance against my cousin's 1970 SS 454, with an LS-6 in front of the rock-crusher.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #48

THOR #2121
Quote:
Thanks!
By the way: what year was the SS 396?
I just had a chance to drive a client's SS 396 (1970) that had been built to just over 500 horsepower.

.....cut....
About the same, can't recall exactly but in 69~71 range. It was professionally upgraded to increase power, lower gears, traction bars, larger rear tires, etc...

With a better driver and racing slicks it could break 12 seconds which was really fast back then.

Surprisingly, when we drag raced, I could take him every time up through about 60 MPH with my 289 Mustang. He had so much power, and didn't know how to use it, that he mostly smoked the tires instead of letting them hook up. The car was also more nose heavy which didn't help. After 60 MPH the 396's power took over and he blew by me like I wasn't moving.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #49
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The Mustangs were a whole lot lighter; that allowed them to get off the line pretty quick.
You just had to pick your fights carefully...