Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
It came on my 20' Magnitude and works like a champ. Setup can be a bit confusing, but there's a very good tutorial on Youtube that walks you through it. For a $1 a day, I couldn't find a good reason to try anything else, and being that we use Cricket phones that have some connectivity issues while traveling, having a system on a different network gives us some piece of mind.
Except Cricket phones use the same AT&T network.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 2020 Magnitude as well. I have watched a bunch of videos as well. I used the AT&T site and it took my IMEI and ICCID numbers and told me it was activated but I still get the Access Denied message. AT&T is still working on it for me.

And you've set up a ToGo account for Roadlink? David Bott's videos on YouTube helped clear up the process for me, as it's certainly not intuitive.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #23

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Except Cricket phones use the same AT&T network.

Yes and no. I believe that Winegard utilizes AT&T's old 2G network, which was shuttered for cellular use in 2017. This would explain why it's so cheap, and why I get good connectivity when my Cricket phone has no signal. Like CDMA before GSM, it's not blazing fast, but can travel farther without requiring towers every 5 miles
Old 12-01-2019, 11:27 PM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Yes and no. I believe that Winegard utilizes AT&T's old 2G network, which was shuttered for cellular use in 2017. This would explain why it's so cheap, and why I get good connectivity when my Cricket phone has no signal. Like CDMA before GSM, it's not blazing fast, but can travel farther without requiring towers every 5 miles
The Winegard ConnecT 2.0 that came with my Magnitude is using AT&T's 4G / LTE network and not the old 2G or 3G networks.

As a matter of fact... after the latest Winegard software update, here are all of the 4G and 3G networks that are accessible with my ConnecT 2.0 unit:

AT&T
Verizon
Sprint
TMobile
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 6.30.03 PM.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	21698  
Old 12-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #25

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The Winegard ConnecT 2.0 that came with my Magnitude is using AT&T's 4G / LTE network and not the old 2G or 3G networks.

As a matter of fact... after the latest Winegard software update, here are all of the 4G and 3G networks that are accessible with my ConnecT 2.0 unit:

AT&T
Verizon
Sprint
TMobile

Well that's cool...I like it when I'm wrong and it works out better Gave up the need to constantly be right years ago, as the "all-knowing old white guy ego" isn't worth jack $%it anymore.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #26

THOR #12751
So..... after a week of not much help from AT&T, Winegard and Thor I finally took matters into my own hands.

After a lot of research I was convinced there is no reason why the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 being installed on the 2020 Thor Motorhomes can't have access to the AT&T Unlimited Data Plan for $360/yr as Thor's website states.

When I looked at the original SIM card installed in the unit, it was clearly an AT&T SIM card. It had the AT&T logo on it and the ICCID number on it indicated it was for the AT&T network.

After doing a bunch of troubleshooting on my own, I came to the conclusion that the SIM card installed was actually tied specifically to Winegard's own data plans. If you look at their coverage map on their website it is the same coverage map as on the AT&T website. They want you to purchase their data plan for 10GB at $59/mo ($708/yr).

I purchased two blank AT&T Prepaid SIM cards on Amazon for $8. I climbed up on the roof and swapped out the SIM card. Then I went into the my account on the AT&T Pre-Paid Site for the TOGO Roadlink $360 plan that I purchased last week. I changed the ICCID number from the SIM card that came with the unit to the one I bought on Amazon.

I figured I would have to call AT&T support and have them make sure the new ICCID number was showing up in their system but after I rebooted the unit, it connected to the AT&T network and I had Internet access!!!

It appears to be working properly and the Data Usage Summary in my account is now showing that I have used 39MB of my Unlimited plan and my plan has been active for 7 days.

So.... if you have the Winegard ConncT 2.0 installed by Thor you can try the following steps:

1) Purchase an AT&T Prepaid SIM card and replace the one that came with your unit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Go to the AT&T TOGO Roadlink website and click on "Get Started" https://www.att.com/plans/connected-...-roadlink.html

3) Click on "Get Your Pass" and enter the ICCID from your SIM card, IMEI number from the device and give your unit a nickname.

4) Select the Unlimited Data Plan for $360/yr and enter your credit card and billing information, create your account* and activate your plan. You also have the option of the 5GB Plan for $25/mo if you don't use your coach and Internet much.

*Note: This account will be different from your AT&T cell Phone account if you have one. When you call for support AT&T will ask for the last for digits of your credit card as a verification of your account.

5) While you wait to get an e-mail or text indicating your service has been activated, logon to your Winegard unit and select Change Provider from the bottom of the main page.

6) Select ATT and use "broadband" as the APN. Save your information by clicking on the Change Provider box on that screen.

7) When you get re-directed back to the main screen, select 4G/LTE and after 30 seconds or so you should see that you are connected to the ATT Network and once you get the notice your activation was successful, you should have unlimited Internet access.

Good luck and let me know if you hav any questions......
Old 05-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #27

State: Kentucky
THOR #18814
I live in the Appalachian mountains, and AT&T has a lot of dead spots. Verizon is much better, but there is still very little to no signal at our favorite campground. I have a cell phone booster that can be tedious to setup and get working, and I'm considering upgrading our Winegard Air to the ConnecT 2.0. My concern is that it wont be able to get the signal we need. My current setup can reach higher than our camper (2019 Freedom Express Blast) sits.

Has anyone used this in the mountain area's on a network other than AT&T?

Also, has anyone used a SIM card on a network other than the primary ones? We have Appalachian Wireless as our cell phone provider. It run on the same networks as Verizon and I image it should work, but wanted to see if anyone has had an issue with doing so?
Old 05-23-2020, 01:56 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
THOR #16745
Ok, so i just did the 5GB for 30 days for $25 just to see how it would help with streaming and better signal but it is saying no internet access.......ugh we received confirmation of activation but still no service so what should we do now??
Old 05-23-2020, 02:06 AM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
Ok, so i just did the 5GB for 30 days for $25 just to see how it would help with streaming and better signal but it is saying no internet access.......ugh we received confirmation of activation but still no service so what should we do now??
Did you change the settings to use LTE rather than WIFI?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:23 AM   #30

THOR #16745
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No, we couldn’t get into it the other day. I will go try it now.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:58 AM   #31

THOR #16745
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Is that in the app?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:58 AM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
No, we couldn’t get into it the other day. I will go try it now.
There are 3 options
No internet
WiFi
4G

More than likely that’s the issue
Old 05-23-2020, 03:15 AM   #33

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
RA did you insert a SIM card in the Weingard or are you connecting to WIFI?
I have found that connecting to your WIFI source is much easier than relaying on the SIM card - Just my personal choice,
Old 05-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #34

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
RA did you insert a SIM card in the Weingard or are you connecting to WIFI?
I have found that connecting to your WIFI source is much easier than relaying on the SIM card - Just my personal choice,
I love the ability to use 4G. I'm at a KOA in Virginia Beach and the camp WiFi is not very good. I am only getting 1 bar of signal on m AT&T iPhone but I'm using AT&T in the Winegard ConnecT 2 and our Internet performance is great!

Having the unit on the roof with antennas really helps boost the signal and having the 4G option is great when you want stay connected. When I log into the unit it says my signal strength is 84% when my cell phone is only 25%.

It's just disappointing that my unlimited plan ends at the end of the year and it is going to cost more to use.