Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think that is Thor's intent: that when it is in store all is disconnected, but many of our experiences differ from that...myself included.

Which would lead me to believe that may be a manufacturing issue (just like everything else LOL).

I disconnect both negatives when I disconnect the batteries (by both I mean house, and chassis--only 1 house battery).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
You proved my the point your Outlaw use\store switch didn't help you either. Thor makes it sound like the store switch will cut off power. It Does Not.
New Rver's should know this and be prepared.
I'm not disagreeing with you. iit's the setup that we all have, so we just have to find the best ways to live with it.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
One more quick thought about the parasitic losses"
Thor may have to have those propane monitors wired to be on all of the time...
Just because your rig is shut down, and you're not using it: propane leaks could still happen...
(Unless you manually shut the valves...)
Imagine opening up a propane-filled rig, and inadvertently setting it off!

We're actually just finding ways to sneak around required setups, that are designed to keep us on the green side of the turf.

... Just sayin'...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Maybe they changed it for the newer coaches. We know they didn't use to cut power to the atmosphere monitors but they specifically said it does in this new video.
The store/ use switch latching relay only removes power to the 12 volt section of the coach's power center (fuse panel). Any device that is wired to the chassis battery or where the wiring bypasses the power center is not effected by the switch. Inverter, jack and generator start power does not go through the power center. As far as the chassis battery is concerned, it is the ignition swith's relays that control where the chassis battery goes or doesn't go. Each Thor Motorcoach factory wires their coaches somewhat differently as the factories operate independently. Only coaches made in the same factory should be considered to be wired similarly.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah I knew posting this video would spark considerable discussion as I don't think anyone's coach on here behaves the way Thor describes in the video.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #26

Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
THOR #1241
Quote:
I did state before. I took BOTH NEGATIVE cables off coach batteries & Still have Power going to the 12v ceiling lights in coach. Maybe Bimm is wired wrong?
If you'e plugged into shore power, you will still have 12VDC. The battery disconnect just disconnects the house batteries.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #27

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Aren't there marine switches that connect and disconnect two banks of batteries? If there is wouldn't it make sense to have one in the RV where one side of the switch connects & disconnects hose batteries and the other side connects and disconnects the chassis battery? Wouldn't that be thousands time less confusing than a USE/STORE that doesn't really disconnect the house batteries or turns on a light that just shows DC power from the converter is going to the batteries?

Did a quick search on West Marine and here is a switch that does exactly what I was asking. One side operate house battery connect/disconnect other side operate start battery connect/disconnect third side connects house batteries & chassis battery. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...1?recordNum=28
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGeek View Post
If you'e plugged into shore power, you will still have 12VDC. The battery disconnect just disconnects the house batteries.
not plugged in, no gen. or engine running both Neg house cables removed use / store switch in store mode. Ceiling lights still on in coach living area?
I now have Battery Disconnect on House & Chassis batteries. No longer have an issue.........buy why?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
[QUOTE=bevedfelker;163305]Aren't there marine switches that connect and disconnect two banks of batteries? If there is wouldn't it make sense to have one in the RV where one side of the switch connects & disconnects hose batteries and the other side connects and disconnects the chassis battery? Wouldn't that be thousands time less confusing than a USE/STORE that doesn't really disconnect the house batteries or turns on a light that just shows DC power from the converter is going to the batteries?

Ed, Totally agree! Do a search "battery" The # 1 issue across many models. I would think the Very Easiest to fix and all the issues that come with this problem. I have my rig under control but what about all the NEWBIES? Headache and Unnecessary Repair $$ City.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #30

Model: 32N
State: Oregon
THOR #11137
I never dry camp and always leave the switch on.

That way the all the batteries are being charged in route to the campsite and when plugged to shore power at the campsite.

When I'm back home I plug in shore power in the garage.
That way all the batteries are topped off all the time.

Am I missing something here?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
To use that switch in the RV you'd need two of them: One for each system house or chassis. The switch would let you select which battery (or both) to use for each system.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #32

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah I knew posting this video would spark considerable discussion as I don't think anyone's coach on here behaves the way Thor describes in the video.
Yep, it did. Mine must be "special", cause it works just like the video says.

I'm pretty sure it depends on the build crew for each vehicle. Hmm, wonder if Thor is a ISO certified company, and if it uses "System Check-Outs" to validate the builds?
Probably not
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
To use that switch in the RV you'd need two of them: One for each system house or chassis. The switch would let you select which battery (or both) to use for each system.
Correctamundo! Each switch allows you to power a single DC buss from one battery source or the other, or both, or none.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #34

State: Ohio
THOR #12388
Quote:
not plugged in, no gen. or engine running both Neg house cables removed use / store switch in store mode. Ceiling lights still on in coach living area?
I now have Battery Disconnect on House & Chassis batteries. No longer have an issue.........buy why?

I have a Palazzo and also had battery problems. After a lot of research and some help from a bunch of folks on the forum I discovered that my batteries were wired incorrectly from the factory.

My chassis battery was providing the power for all the 12 volt lights in the coach. The use/store switch turned off the house batteries but lights, propane detector, TV antenna amplifier still worked.

Maybe your coach has the same or similar problem.

Bill
Old 01-19-2019, 11:52 PM   #35

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Huh?
In the video it says "Manually shut the inverter off from the remote panel...as it is wired directly to the batteries" as it shows a nice little panel that says "Xantres/Pro". I have looked high and low in our 2016 Vegas 24.1 (built in April 2015) and I see no panel that looks like that...has anyone with a similarly aged Vegas/Axis found the panel shown?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #36

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The Use/Store latching solenoid only removes power from the power center's fuse panel. Any circuit than bypasses the fuse panel will still be powered. Each Thor plant seems to run a few small independently fused circuits. My refrigerator circuit board has a fuse on the circuit board but the circuit by-passes power center's fuse panel so the frig will work on battery power if the the frig's switch is on. I believe that is why the propane detector is live all the time.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Huh?
In the video it says "Manually shut the inverter off from the remote panel...as it is wired directly to the batteries" as it shows a nice little panel that says "Xantres/Pro". I have looked high and low in our 2016 Vegas 24.1 (built in April 2015) and I see no panel that looks like that...has anyone with a similarly aged Vegas/Axis found the panel shown?

Doc
I don't believe your coach came with an inverter.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #38
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The Use/Store latching solenoid only removes power from the power center's fuse panel. Any circuit than bypasses the fuse panel will still be powered. Each Thor plant seems to run a few small independently fused circuits. My refrigerator circuit board has a fuse on the circuit board but the circuit by-passes power center's fuse panel so the frig will work on battery power if the the frig's switch is on. I believe that is why the propane detector is live all the time.
Well that just completely makes the USE/STORE switch worthless. The fridge's power should come from the fuse panel, not directly from the battery.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:02 AM   #39

State: Nevada
THOR #10325
Quote:
I did state before. I took BOTH NEGATIVE cables off coach batteries & Still have Power going to the 12v ceiling lights in coach. Maybe Bimm is wired wrong?
Couch batteries and Chasis battery may be using the same charging circuit, 2-6 volt deep cycle batteries and one automotive 12 volt battery. I. will bet your lights are still on due to the chassis battery still being connected.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:31 AM   #40

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Ted,

No, come to think of it there it was not an option at the time, one less potential headache.

Thanks

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote