Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35c
State: Maryland
THOR #2621
Does the 2015 Thor Windsport 35c use 3-Phase Power?

I just purchased a 2015 Thor Windsport 35c and I would like to have shore power at home. A friend who is an electrical engineer says this is impossible because these units run on 3-phase power. However, I have seen much larger units connected to homes in my neighborhood. Is his estimation correct? Or, is he misunderstanding RV electrical systems? Thanks much to anyone who can clear this up for me.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
No that is not correct. A good electrician can connect a 50 AMP to your existing electrical service as long as you have 2 bays available in the circuit breaker box. My electrician charged me 350.00 to include parts to connect the service.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 AM   #3

THOR #2621
Thanks! I had assumed that a company as large as Thor would not limit customers' options. So, are you saying that it is not 3-phase power, or that there is a work-around for residential application?
Old 08-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphC View Post
Thanks! I had assumed that a company as large as Thor would not limit customers' options. So, are you saying that it is not 3-phase power, or that there is a work-around for residential application?
Nothing special about the 50 amp. See the attached document.

50-amp Service.pdf

I'm not an expert but I believe some applications for 50 AMP require 3 phase but not an RV. If you do a Google search on 50 Amp RV service you'll get more info than your heart desires.

One bit of advice is to make sure you check it before plugging in the coach. My electrician had a loose Neutral wire that the surge protector picked up. Once that was corrected everything was good to go.

If 50 AMP is not possible, the alternative is to go with 30 Amp and a 30 -50 adapter and only run one AC unit. I originally had 30 Amp for my class c and then changed over about 2 months after buying the Challenger. 30 Amp requires smaller wire and a single pole breaker.

I will say that having shore power on the house is well worth the expense.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-10-2015, 01:10 AM   #5

THOR #2621
Thanks, Dave. I thought that was my assumption as well.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:09 AM   #6

Model: 2015 Windsport 27K
State: Virginia
THOR #2314
Your unit requires 2-phase AC power, 120/240V at 50 amp - readily available from your residential service panel.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

THOR #2621
Thanks, Dave... I also have a 30 amp, single pole that I used with my old travel trailer. Unfortunately, when I plugged into that with an adaptor, it immediately kicked the breaker. Looks like I have some research ahead of me.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

THOR #2621
Thanks for the reply, Runeasy... What confused us was the warning label on the RV (near the power). It read: This connection is for 208Y/120-VOLT or 120/240-VOLT AC, 3-POLE, 4-WIRE, 60 HZ, 50 ampere supply. We thought the 3-POLE indicated 3-PHASE power.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Just did a few minutes of research and what I originally thought is correct. 3 phase power is what is needed for large motors and is not needed in normal household use unless you have a machine shop or large welder in your garage.

Reading an article on this site discusses the issue of 3 phase power at RV parks. Look at the section titled "Update" towards the bottom.

RV Electrical Safety: Part III – Outlets | No~Shock~Zone

The labeling on your coach basically means you can use standard household 2 phase power or 3 phase power used in RV parks which is now code compliant.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

THOR #2621
Thanks again... Now, I just need to figure out why my 30 amp breaker kicks every time I try to plug in. I'm guessing I need double pole on that as well. I think the easier solution will involve installing a 20 amp breaker and outlet.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
No intentions of insulting you but sometimes we overlook the obvious.

Did you check to make sure the AC power switch is turned off before plugging the coach into the 30 amp receptacle? My guess would be one of two things. Either something drawing a large load is switched on and trips the breaker when you plug in or the 30 amp breaker may be bad.

If neither of those the receptacle for the 30 amp service could have burned between poles causing a sort.

I am assuming you have had the coach plugged into shore power at a campground or the dealer without issues and there is no reason why plugging into 30 Amp should trip the breaker if both AC units are off.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphC View Post
Thanks again... Now, I just need to figure out why my 30 amp breaker kicks every time I try to plug in. I'm guessing I need double pole on that as well. I think the easier solution will involve installing a 20 amp breaker and outlet.
As far as I know, and as shown on diagrams Dave linked, a typical 30-Amp RV service only has one hot (120-Volts), one neutral, and a ground. There is no way to get 240 Volts from this setup. A double pole breaker is not applicable with standard 30-A RV service as far as I know.

The typical 50-Amp RV service has two hot wires (120-Volt each) that are out of phase, one neutral, and one ground. Because hot1 and hot2 are opposite (one is +120-Volts when other is -120-Volts) it's possible to get 240 Volts. With few exceptions most power in an RV is used at 120 Volts. Appliances like clothes dryers may be wired to operate at 240 Volts.

If I were installing a new service at home for a 50-Amp RV, and it required bringing in an electrician anyway, I think I would go ahead and install the the full service because the cost difference for the materials shouldn't be that much (assuming you are not running power over long distances). Most of your cost should be labor, and that shouldn't be all that different between 30-A and 50-A.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

THOR #2621
No offense taken, Dave... As a matter of fact, we were on the same page. Followed my old Navy instincts and went back to basics, plugged into a 15 amp circuit and life is good. It looks like I may have a short somewhere between the 30 amp breaker and the outlet or a bad breaker. Since I had already tried the 30 amp with the RV main breakers off, I was fairly certain that it wasn't the in the rig. Thanks for walking through this.

Ralph
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #14

THOR #2621
Thanks, Chance! Good to have the additional validation.