Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
A well placed investment in my opinion...

Don't forget sensors for the toad/trailer if you intend to tow. While you may feel something going wrong with the RV tires - you likely will have no idea if something goes wrong on the toad... Will let you know of tire or braking issues (brakes overheating will drive up tire temp and alarm).
If you're towing a trailer you will probably need a signal booster to get good reception. You can mount the booster in the area behind the license plate and you'll get really good reception from your traile and back coach wheels.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #22

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Thanks! I haven't yet decided what to do re a TOAD. Maybe a trailer for my Harley, maybe buy a Wrangler, maybe one of the hydraulic lift racks for the bike that I've seen. So many ways to do it, we might just go "TOADless" for a couple trips and talk to others, see how they're set up.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #23
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Very good point gmc. A tire on my Trike trailer could blow and I could probably run it on the rim for 20 miles before seeing anything in my rear camera.

Not sure what folks towing 4 down set up. TPMS sensors generally need to be mounted on metal valve stems, plus would they even work right if there are generic OEM sensors present?
TireMinder (and I assume others - but that is what I use) makes sensors specifically for vehicles with onboard TPMS already - they have aluminum valve stems which the normal sensors will react with over time... so they use a different material in the sensor - aside from that they work the same - the normal sensors will work - just don't leave them on aluminum valve stems long term.

Both worked fine on my Wrangler (didn't realize it had on-board TPMS initially... till it popped a warning one day...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If you're towing a trailer you will probably need a signal booster to get good reception. You can mount the booster in the area behind the license plate and you'll get really good reception from your traile and back coach wheels.
TM also provides the booster as standard equipment in the kits I have seen (even TM66 which is just the 6 sensors needed for shorter RVs...) They indicate it is required use. I mounted in rearmost storage compartment tied into the storage light for power. Draws a few mah - on all the time (if coach battery switch is in 'use').
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I just bought a new Tire Minder with six sensors and a booster was not included, it was an option which I didn't think I needed at this time with a 31 foot coach.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #25

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Thanks! I haven't yet decided what to do re a TOAD. Maybe a trailer for my Harley, maybe buy a Wrangler, maybe one of the hydraulic lift racks for the bike that I've seen. So many ways to do it, we might just go "TOADless" for a couple trips and talk to others, see how they're set up.
Im about where you are Mike, but just a season ahead. Right now our toad is the Harley on an Aluma trailer. We will finish the season like this which will involve about 4 months and just under 7,000 miles.

Leaning toward buying a small car (probably a Mini Cooper) and either using a regular tow dolly with it or dropping the big bucks on an extended tow dolly so we can take a car and bike.

Just having the Harley is working okay but there have been a couple times that we needed to supplement that with renting a car. I guess we will see how the rest of the summer goes.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Thanks Joe, I will look into the Aluma trailers.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote