Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Upgrading to Jensen JRV9000

Has anyone upgraded to the new Jensen Jrv9000 fro the 212 or 215? Our Jrv212 just started giving us trouble after 2 1/2 years of service. In talking to both Camping World and Jensen the JRV215 is no longer available and has been replaced with the JRV9000 which has better features than the 215. In looking at the wiring diagrams and the spec for the 9000 beside the wiring differences which should not present a big problem I see that the 9000 is smaller. The 212 measures 4.57h x 7.4w and the 9000 is 3.94h x 7.01w. I worried about how it will look in the Windsport dash. Thanks in advance for your thoughts a advice.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think you are the first given it is really new, here is the press release from June, 2016:
News - Explore North America with ASA Electronics’ new navigation system, maps included

I bet it will fit fine given that it is a standard double DIN design.

Here is the owner's manual:
https://www.asaelectronics.com/downl...ion_manual.pdf
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #4818
Stay Away!

Sorry to be so late to this post, but having purchased and installed the JRV9000r as a 212 replacement, my advice to anyone who's interested is stay away. The navigation system won't even allow RV settings of height and weight and the technical support has been unresponsive ...
Old 10-12-2016, 12:31 AM   #4

State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1152 View Post
Sorry to be so late to this post, but having purchased and installed the JRV9000r as a 212 replacement, my advice to anyone who's interested is stay away. The navigation system won't even allow RV settings of height and weight and the technical support has been unresponsive ...
We have a malfunctioning 212. What choice other than the 9000r do we have?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #5

THOR #4818
Jensen Alternative

Well I can tell you where we're headed ... My cameras have been rewired to a 10" monitor that I've positioned on the dash forward of my controls ... It doesn't obstruct my view of the road and gives me a clear constant view of my toad, unless one of the turn signals is on of course ... My navigation is via iPad and my music will be courtesy of a Kenwood in-dash unit ...
Old 10-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

THOR #2817
Gordon1152,
I think your proposed system makes a lot of sense. Can you specify the monitor that you are using? For me, the most important aspect of the Jensen radio is the rear view camera for hitching and watching the trailer as we drive. The side cameras are nice, but only work well in certain lighting conditions. Terrestrial radio is so bad that we usually don't listen to it anyway. We have used the iPad to listen to music through the radio.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

THOR #4818
Rvs-61310q 10" tft lcd digital quad view color monitor

This monitor is from rearviewsafety.com ... In my case I also needed to purchase Voyager to 5 pin female adapters to hook up the cameras, but it works for me ...
Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #8

State: Ohio
THOR #989
Gordon, With your monitor and the way you have it installed does the view switch from rear view to the side views when the turn signals are activated? As you may have guessed, I am lost when it comes to electronics so I am getting ready for when my Jensen dies! Pictures and a schematic would be much appreciated. Thanks

John
2015 Windsport 27K
Old 10-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #9

THOR #4818
Stuff

I'm in the middle of a 4,500 mile trek, but hopefully you can get to the attachments I'm trying to include. The bottom line is that the trigger wires (rear, right and left) need to come off of the current radio and on to the monitor. The one that I purchased can display 4 images or one at a time and these are each assigned the proper designation and handling based on the triggers and their video connection (easy to change if you find the rear image is really the right side, etc.) ...

Hope that helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Monitor Wiring.pdf (986.6 KB, 443 views)
File Type: pdf JRV212T Wiring.pdf (99.9 KB, 396 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5851
Upgrade to jrv9000

I up graded to the jrv 9000, I did have to open up the hole in th dash about a 1/16 inch (easy job) I also purchased the Jensen adaptor cable from the jrv 212t to the 9000, basically plug and play. Radio works really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Has anyone upgraded to the new Jensen Jrv9000 fro the 212 or 215? Our Jrv212 just started giving us trouble after 2 1/2 years of service. In talking to both Camping World and Jensen the JRV215 is no longer available and has been replaced with the JRV9000 which has better features than the 215. In looking at the wiring diagrams and the spec for the 9000 beside the wiring differences which should not present a big problem I see that the 9000 is smaller. The 212 measures 4.57h x 7.4w and the 9000 is 3.94h x 7.01w. I worried about how it will look in the Windsport dash. Thanks in advance for your thoughts a advice.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 PM   #11

State: Arkansas
THOR #2540
I was upgraded to the Jensen JRV9000 last year due to the failure of my previous stock Jensen system in my 2014 Thor Tuscany. Now I am having trouble with the GPS locking up my whole system and I have to reset the system every time I want to get back to another app like the cameras or radio etc. Is anyone else having this problem? I keep getting a window that reads "Out Of Memory" yet the system is not that old. I have tried to restore the defaults in the GPS but when I touch the settings button the whole system locks up again.
HELP
Old 03-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #12

THOR #2817
Have you checked with AES Electronics? They were helpful to me when I called them about replacing my JRV 212T.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:35 AM   #13

THOR #2540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Have you checked with AES Electronics? They were helpful to me when I called them about replacing my JRV 212T.
Yes, I first went to ASA and they told me to reset defaults but when I try to get to my settings the system locks up. They told me if that did not resolve the problem to check with Neviextras support which I did. They wanted to see my License file on the SD card in the system. I sent that to them and they said they could not help because it was a hardware problem. I am now awaiting a reply from ASA again on the opened ticket. Everything is being done by email. I wish I could call someone and have them walk me through some steps and if that does not work then maybe they can send another system or send it to my dealer for him to install again.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #14

THOR #4818
Ran Away From Jensen

That's why I didn't walk, I ran away from Jensen and ASA. Now I have a Kenwood stereo in the dash to pump out xM; a 10" monitor in the middle of the flat surface forward of the instrument panel so I can watch the toad and the road and the side cameras as well; and CoPilot for navigation on my iPad ...

All are working great and I don't have to put up with Jensen's nonsense ...

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #15

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #6600
My Windsport 34F came with a j212. After 2 years of constant issues, I chose to ditch the Jensen completely and installed a Voyager 3 camera switch behind the radio. This removes the whole switching camera functionality from the radio so you can install any 2 din flat screen radio you want. As long as it has a single camera input, the camera switch alternates from side cams to reverse cam when you use the turn signals or switch into reverse. It's a bit of work to install but well worth it. Since it's Voyager, the camera plugs match the Jensen plug. I went with a Dual 2din radio with full blue tooth features. Big improvement. Link to where I bought it: http://www.rvcams.com/p/CSW3014.html
Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #16

THOR #2540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1152 View Post
That's why I didn't walk, I ran away from Jensen and ASA. Now I have a Kenwood stereo in the dash to pump out xM; a 10" monitor in the middle of the flat surface forward of the instrument panel so I can watch the toad and the road and the side cameras as well; and CoPilot for navigation on my iPad ...

All are working great and I don't have to put up with Jensen's nonsense ...

Good luck!
Gordon1152,
What Kenwood product did you get to replace the JRV9000?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #17

State: Colorado
THOR #6792
Honestly I swapped out the 212t with 9000r it was easy, not one issue at all fit the dash perfectly, plug ins matched , easy to use, works great! I can use all 3 cams as before, in color I might add. It's just a little pricey. Tried a cheaper way and sent that one back.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HN...b_b_prod_image

I can't say enough good about past generations of this unit.
I swore I wouldn't order this until other mods were done, but I rip up the dash tomorrow for five mods and this will be the sixth, while the dash is torn up. It will be here tomorrow.

Reviews are on youtube.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Alabama
THOR #5884
Upgrade from JRV 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
I called Jenson and found that to integrate with their cameras, there were not a lot of good options. I upgraded to the 9000 about a year ago and have been pleased. The radio has more features such as navigation and blue tooth. It has performed well with no issues. I bought the adapter as well so there was really no wiring outside of plugging the adapter between the coach's wiring and the radios. It is by far a better unit that the 212.