Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2018 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #13980
Vegas/Axis Windshields

Is there any history of windshields cracking on these motorhomes ? Just a little concerned due to expanse of glass.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
From my reading on the topic in this forum, some of the first and second year models had glass that was a few inches taller than later years. Only from what I read on this forum do I know that the taller glass windshields were prone to cracking. These Class A windshields are BIG, no matter the brand and if they are not installed properly, problems can arise. This is just one reason I would wager, that some people prefer a Class C with a "regular sized" windshield.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
2014 and 2015 were problem years for the windshield. It was super big and the curves in the glass created asymmetrical loads if the glass was not installed correctly. I have a 2015 Vegas.

Drove to the dealer about 4 months after I bought it new for an oil change. Parked under the dealer canopy and went inside to get processed in and do the paperwork for the service. When we came out to check the RV there was a huge stress crack in the window right at driver eye level. It went from the A pillar laterally for about a foot and then took a turn downward for another 20 or 30 inches. It cracked just sitting under the dealer's canopy.

The dealer took pictures and Thor verified it was a stress crack caused by asymmetrical loads from improperly installing the windshield at the factory. They sent the dealer a new windshield and the dealer replaced it under warranty.

So in answer to the question -- yes there is a cracking problem in 2014 and 2015 Vegas/Axis windshields. In the 2016 model year they made the windshield smaller so that it did not go so far up into the roof of the RV. They probably shortened the height by about 10".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield stress crack.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	14581  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Strangely enough if you got an early 2014--like ours, knocking on wood--the glass doesn't crack for whatever reason.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Is there any history of windshields cracking on these motorhomes ? Just a little concerned due to expanse of glass.
I have a ACE, the windshield had a stress crack on the lower drivers side. This developed after our first trip. Thor finally agreed to fix after dealer argued for 3 weeks.. plus check the top to make sure seal is dine right.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany XTE 40EX
State: Florida
THOR #8582
We did a factory tour of these models, and it's a wonder they don't crack, the way they are assembled!
Old 12-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Our Vegas was one of the early 2016s, and it has the taller windshield. They no doubt used up the leftover inventory before switching to the shorter ones. Ours cracked one night when parked with one front wheel a little higher. It was replaced under warranty. I can remember only one owner on this forum who had to replace their windshield twice. If they ALL cracked, there would have been a huge cry for a recall.

I have not seen anyone on this forum with a 2016 (aside from those earliest 2016s) or later that had a cracked windshield from stress. Rocks can damage any windshield, but that huge windshield is a big target. I always leave plenty of room behind dump trucks and flatbeds to reduce the risk.

On the plus side, the view from that big expanse of glass is sometimes stunning.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
I have a Vegas 25.2, 2016 model. I have had the windshield replaced twice, once from a hurricane debris and once for no known reason. Since I live in Florida there is no charge to replace them. I just called the insurance company and they sent a team in a few days. I just call the insurance company and they handle it and the replacement teams calls and schedules an appointment. I takes them about 20 minutes at my home.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #9

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Axis ,vegas windshield

We have a 2016 25.2 axis came in windshield cracked before we got it off the lot brand new was a very cold day while we were waiting had it warming up standing in front of it with a Thor representative who was visiting Camping World we notice the crack started at the top went straight down the windshield we watched it happen said he would take care of it but they didn't Camping World of Spartanburg South Carolina took care of it those guys are great
Old 12-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #3721
Nautiquecowboy. Our crack that was from un-known reasons also started in the top side and went down to the bottom. The RV was parked at our home and had not been used in a while. Both times the windshield was replaced there was no cost to me and it did not impact the cost of my policy. The great view is worth the almost no inconvenience of having the glass replaced. The installer from Safelight said if care is taken when the new windshield is installed, I should not have any more problems. So far so good.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #11

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
Nautiquecowboy. Our crack that was from un-known reasons also started in the top side and went down to the bottom. The RV was parked at our home and had not been used in a while. Both times the windshield was replaced there was no cost to me and it did not impact the cost of my policy. The great view is worth the almost no inconvenience of having the glass replaced. The installer from Safelight said if care is taken when the new windshield is installed, I should not have any more problems. So far so good.
I didn't like them having to replace the windshield on a brand new coach but they did a good job no problems unless A rock hits it or something I think we'll be good to go
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 AM   #12

Model: Axis 25.1
State: California
THOR #2792
We are on our third windshield.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 AM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We made sure that our insurance covers 100% of cost for ANY glass replacement. Cost a whole 20.00 more per year for us...

At $1,500+ (from what I have read) to replace a VEGA/AXIS windshield, 20.00 a year is worth it....
Old 02-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #14

State: New York
THOR #12610
cracked

Mine cracked while driving with no one in front of me. I called factory as my body guy said it was a stress crack and they never returned my call. After trying 3 times I put it through my ins and paid nothing to get it replaced. The shop told me that they see some Thors do this. 2016 Axis 25.5 had under 5000 mi at time.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589

Sorry to take this one more down the detour road, but am compelled to pass this bit of wisdom:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I

That's the link to Ed Felker's excellent crowd-sourced manual for Axis/Vegas. New folks will benefit from that.

Now, back to the original topic of windshield woes...
Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #16

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
My 2015 Axis cracked

We were planning to head out on vacation and I noticed the windshield had a crack in it. I thought maybe it got hit with a rock from the lawn mower but could not find an impact point. After reading this i thinks it’s clear it’s probably a stress crack. Hope this isn’t something that’s going to happen every year. Love the view and the RV. Good news is the insurance company is picking up the tab, bad news might have to cancel vacation. We live in Ohio and wanted to leave this Thursday but they can’t replace it for a week. We were headed to Naples and they said we could replace it there but the windshield is so big I’m a bit concerned the crack with grow and might be dangerous . It’s about a foot long now, starting at the top and creeping towards the bottom. Any way to stabilize it to get it to Florida ?
Old 04-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #17

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Do you have one of the 2014-15 models with the large windshield? They are the ones that usually had the problems with “stress cracks” apparently often because the windshields were incorrectly installed. After Thor moved to the smaller windshield in 2016, I have not heard of as many of those “stress cracks”.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #18

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
Mine is a 2015 model. Hope this isn’t going to be a common occurrence. Ruining our vacation plans now because I don’t trust driving it 16 hours with a crack in a windshield that big.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:32 AM   #19

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichoga2 View Post
Mine is a 2015 model. Hope this isn’t going to be a common occurrence. Ruining our vacation plans now because I don’t trust driving it 16 hours with a crack in a windshield that big.
Have you called a glass guy in to see if he will repair it? The longer you wait the less chance the repair will work. After dirt works it’s way into a crack or star, the glue they use doesn’t work. I don’t know if they can repair a crack like that, but I have had several “stars” fixed on my RV windscreens and the repairs lasted as long as I had the coach. It is worth a try. Might save your peace of mind and RV trip.

I had my 2014 Vegas with the large windshield for over two years - 14.000 miles to Alaska and back over some horrible roads- and I did not have an issue.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #20

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
You can drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from running. A crack doesn't mean the window will cave in going down the highway