Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Jensen JRV212T Blank Screen

Just had this problem pop yesterday, the display screen on my Jensen JRV212T went blank, the only function that would work was the radio volume! The blue background lights around the edge were illuminated but that was it. No cameras, could not turn it off, even tried the reset button.

I found a couple of forums that mention a very similar problem. I found the two thin metal clips used to remove the radio, I inserted them but could not get the radio out!?!? I followed the directions, no luck in getting it out.

I put the clips down and looked back up and the display was on!!! WT!?&@. The time was correct and everything was normal!!!!! As I sat there scratching my head, the screen went blank again. After making another attempt to remove the unit using the clips, the screen came back on, this time the clock read 12:00, like the power had been interrupted!

Now I'm thoroughly confused! This went on for about 30 min or so, the screen came and went a few times, it finally came back on, with the correct time and all of the pre-sets intact!

I called the mothership "THOR", after explaining the problem, he told me to take it into I the dealer and let them look at it!

My question is: does anyone have a better solution for removing the unit from the dash??

Does anybody have any other ideas before I ride off to the goat rodeo "The Dealer". I know while I'm there it will work just fine for them!

Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks,

Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One of the jobs I used to have was a communications tech. We often practiced the electronic version of a "precordial thump"... in other words, give it a good whack.

Incredibly, it sometimes works.

But like using a precordial thump to jump-start a stopped heart, it only works once. Keep whacking it and you will just be bashing it to bits.

It seems to me you have an intermittent problem. Giving it a whack might be re-seating something. And you probably flexed the chassis by using the removal tools, which might also have re-seat it.

I doubt Thor will have the wherewithal to do anything, unless of course the unit is still under warranty.

If out of warranty, realize Jensen is junk, and you are better off installing a better brand. I sill have that very same unit in my RV, and one of my projects is to replace it.

To remove the unit, you put those U shaped thingies into the holes in the front, which when you push them in, unlocks the tabs. However, you cannot pull back on the "U"s, otherwise, you will lock them again. Instead, grab around the periphery of the unit and pull it forward while the "U" things are pushed in.

Once you get it out, you might also want to check the connections on the back of the unit to make sure they are not loose.

On the other hand, since Jensen is junk, just whack away until it either works or breaks... at which point, you can replace it with something better (the Rv manufacturers are installing Sony or Pioneer units these days).
Old 10-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
This might be too late, but here it goes...

The radio can be removed by inserting the u rods into the radio face and pulling on the radio. Please realize there are a half dozen wire connections to the radio in the rear that may prevent you from actually removing the radio out of the bracket. If this is the case, you can remove the top of the dashboard by removing 4 screws.. Once the top is removed, you can see all the connections and removal of the radio is simplified.

My radio had the intermittent problem. LCD display would go blank but push button functions would work. Radio was replaced under warranty. A few people have had this issue. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Left side camera problem

I've just recently lost the left side camera view on my Axis. Right side and rear work fine and the left turn signals work fine. Anyone else have a problem with this, and if so what was the fix? I'm thinking loose wire connection but haven't removed the radio yet to check.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #5

THOR #1169
The camera connections are RCA plugs. Swap the LH and RH connections to see where the problem is, ie: camera or radio. There is also a trigger connection which could be checked as well.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #6

THOR #1123
Stream camper,
I appreciate the info. Will try the troubleshooting tip. Not sure what a "trigger connection" might be though.(?). Thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:50 AM   #7

THOR #1169
The trigger tells the radio which camera to use. For example, when you put the coach in reverse, the trigger tells the radio to use the rear camera... same for left and right hand turn signals. It's either a 3 pin or 4 pin connection if I recall correctly... Good luck...
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

THOR #1123
Thanks for the help streamcamper. I plan to take a look and hope I don't do more damage. Just found out I may have a bad windshield washer motor that has never been used. Blows fuses when pressed...takes out windshield wipers. Unbelievable how this stuff don't work when it's right out of the factory! Take care of one thing and another pops up.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
This might be too late, but here it goes...

The radio can be removed by inserting the u rods into the radio face and pulling on the radio. Please realize there are a half dozen wire connections to the radio in the rear that may prevent you from actually removing the radio out of the bracket. If this is the case, you can remove the top of the dashboard by removing 4 screws.. Once the top is removed, you can see all the connections and removal of the radio is simplified.

My radio had the intermittent problem. LCD display would go blank but push button functions would work. Radio was replaced under warranty. A few people have had this issue. Good luck.
My rig is currently ay the dealer, has been for over a month now!! The dealer told me the radio seems to be working fine, of course! Not sure what I'm going to do!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #10

THOR #1169
My radio just quit working properly and I dealt with THOR directly. It really was an easy process.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #652
My radio just did the same thing. I'm going to try all of your suggestions in the morning, Thank you for the hints. This motorhome is full of these kind of problems, this is my third intermittent electrical problem!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
If out of warranty, realize Jensen is junk, and you are better off installing a better brand. I sill have that very same unit in my RV, and one of my projects is to replace it..........

.....On the other hand, since Jensen is junk, just whack away until it either works or breaks... at which point, you can replace it with something better (the Rv manufacturers are installing Sony or Pioneer units these days).
My coach came with a pioneer unit. Jensens may be junk, but my pioneer is just plain weird. Can't say it's junk really, but it may as well be.

I'm very gadget and tech savvy but there's not much use in a unit that you can't use when going down the highway.....

touchscreen with few real buttons, and multiple level counter intuitive menus
no power button, so there's no way to really turn the thing OFF
you almost have to pull off the road if you ever want to put it into the mode to listen to music.....

I really wish that they would put Ford factory electronics in these things. They are properly engineered to be both functional and intuitive..... well at least most factory units I have experienced are.....
Old 12-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
I really wish that they would put Ford factory electronics in these things. They are properly engineered to be both functional and intuitive..... well at least most factory units I have experienced are.....
I've been remotely considering installing a My Ford Touch display in our Axis (this would also mean I would have to replace the HVAC controls with ones that the MFT display can talk to as well).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #14

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1352
Had the same problem recently, pulled the unit unplugged all of the connections. Plugged everything back in and it works fine....
Old 12-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Jamie,

Did you have to remove the dash o get your's out?

Phi
Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz
Did you have to remove the dash o get your's out?
Nope. Included with the user manuals in the bag is two "U" shaped pieces of metal. They fit into 4 holes on the front of the radio. You push the "U"s into the holes, squeeze them together like a pair of pliers and pull. The radio just pops right out. (I believe I put a picture of them in the Axis mods thread.)
Ah here is the picture (sorry its blurry: was a bit dark for the cellphone at the time):
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #17

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Good, I was hoping the cables were long enough to pull the unit through the front so the connectors could be easily reseated.

Thanks for responding.

Phil
Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #18

THOR #652
I did not have the tools to remove the radio but I took a 7/32 hex wrench and pushed it into each hole one at a time and was able to get the unit out. The wiring was long enough to pull the radio all the way out of the dash. So far I have not found anything bad but the radio has not come back on. Will update as I go along.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #19

THOR #652
Here is the update: Went to ACE Hardware and bought a tube of anti-corrosion compound. Disconnected every connector in the electrical control box in front and the connectors on the radio. Put a small dab of the paste on each connector and fuse in the entire box. Reassembled everything and the radio came on with radio and camera functions all working. So again no blown fuses or anything else found to be bad. So far so good!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #20

State: Ontario
THOR #971
I had this issue as well I removed the unit unplugged the main cable for 1hour to allow the radio to loose its memory plugged it back in and I was good to go. If you unplug the radio and plug it back in right away it will not drain the capacitors inside so there is still a charge holding the settings