Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Axis/Vegas Red Button

It seems that the only function for the red button in the battery compartment under the steps is to disconnect the in-dash radio.

When you push it, it moves a yellow lever out. To reset, you move the yellow lever back.

Bruce

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
On mine, the red button disconnects the Use/Store switch. So anything associated with 12V won't operate. Don't recall seeing a yellow lever in that area though. Only the red button to push for disconnect and reconnect.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
On mine, the red button disconnects the Use/Store switch. So anything associated with 12V won't operate. Don't recall seeing a yellow lever in that area though. Only the red button to push for disconnect and reconnect.
Mine too. The red buttons physically disconnects the coach batteries from the coach. The Use/Store button allows the coach batteries to drain so it does not completely disconnect the batteries. I have installed an On/off switch which physically disconnects the coach batteries so I can leave them for several months and they are still well over 12v when I return.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:34 AM   #4

THOR #1503
That is what i expected the red button to do. I'll try it again after disconnecting from shore power.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #5

THOR #1503
I don't what the problem I was having with the in-dash radio was but it has nothing to do with the red button.

When the red button is disconnected and I am also disconnected from shore power, I still have power to the coach. It is not isolating the battery from the 12 volt system.

I think it may isolate the battery from the power center charger.

Here's a pic of the button in the closed position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Button Connected.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	835

and disconnected:

Name:	Red Button Disconnected.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	836

Bruce
Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Faf

State: Wisconsin
THOR #5843
Hi, have a 2017 axis24.1 and the red reset button for house batteries won't reset, have no 12 volt power to anything what would keep button from resetting everything works on shore power. Thanks FAF
Old 02-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #7

THOR #1249
IIRC, you cannot reset the switch by pushing on the red button, but manually pushing the (in the pic above) yellow flag back into the slot.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
These devices are the Bussmann 150 amp circuit breakers. They are auto trip and manual reset. The red button is the manual test to show the circuit breaker is working properly. When the circuit breaker is tripped, the yellow lever will show. To reset push the yellow lever back into slot. These are not part of the salesman switch or the store/use switch. There is one for each battery in the coach; house battery(s) and chassis battery. There should never be a wire run of more then 20 inches from the battery terminal to the circuit breaker.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:03 PM   #9

State: Michigan
THOR #16505
We have a 2017 Thor Synergy. We only have power when the coach is plugged in or if the generator is running. We tested the batteries and they are fine as well as all the fuses and breakers. The monitor panel will only work if the coach is plugged in or the generator is running. Everything I've read says to check the reset button the batteries, can't locate it. Appreciate your help!!!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

THOR #6411
It will be near or in the house battery compartment. It looks like this:
Old 08-27-2019, 01:25 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Brien View Post
We have a 2017 Thor Synergy. We only have power when the coach is plugged in or if the generator is running. We tested the batteries and they are fine as well as all the fuses and breakers. The monitor panel will only work if the coach is plugged in or the generator is running. Everything I've read says to check the reset button the batteries, can't locate it. Appreciate your help!!!
O'Brian, is your USE/STORE switch in the USE position? This switch should be put in the USE position before anything else is done. When I unlock and open my door to enter, the first thing I do is press that switch and the red light comes on to show it is in USE. Then start the generator or plug into shore. If you apply generator or shore power to the coach first, the red light will still come on even though it's not actually in USE. That's why you must put it in USE first. Hope this was the problem. Let us know. If that didn't help, there is still another answer.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #12

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I don't what the problem I was having with the in-dash radio was but it has nothing to do with the red button.

When the red button is disconnected and I am also disconnected from shore power, I still have power to the coach. It is not isolating the battery from the 12 volt system.

I think it may isolate the battery from the power center charger.

Here's a pic of the button in the closed position:

Attachment 835

and disconnected:

Attachment 836

Bruce
Ours has three of those circuit breakers, and only two coach batteries, which are connected in parallel.
I believe the circuit breakers protect high amperage draw motors.
(You can deduce this from the size of the cables connected on each side.)
One being the hydraulics motor to run the hydraulic pump.
I never researched which one is for what, but I believe one of the others is for the slide out motors, not sure on the last one.

Ours were in an inconvenient location under the coach near the coach batteries.
Accessible if you laid on the ground and reached up under there.
I made a bracket, relocated them reachable from under the step battery access, about a foot or so away from where they were.

On my modification, I drilled strategic holes, to zip tie the cables so vibration does not cause them to loosen, and of course used some de-oxidizing grease at the connections.

Whenever I may experience some electrical problem, and not often, I check them, they have never been found tripped.
My volt meter read 12vdc across both terminals, on each, recently troubleshooting a leveling system failure.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Ours has three of those circuit breakers, and only two coach batteries, which are connected in parallel.
I believe the circuit breakers protect high amperage draw motors.
(You can deduce this from the size of the cables connected on each side.)
One being the hydraulics motor to run the hydraulic pump.
I never researched which one is for what, but I believe one of the others is for the slide out motors, not sure on the last one.

Ours were in an inconvenient location under the coach near the coach batteries.
Accessible if you laid on the ground and reached up under there.
I made a bracket, relocated them reachable from under the step battery access, about a foot or so away from where they were.

On my modification, I drilled strategic holes, to zip tie the cables so vibration does not cause them to loosen, and of course used some de-oxidizing grease at the connections.

Whenever I may experience some electrical problem, and not often, I check them, they have never been found tripped.
My volt meter read 12vdc across both terminals, on each, recently troubleshooting a leveling system failure.
Thor Motor Coach house battery wiring typically has three circuit breakers in the battery compartment . One is for the jack motor and generator's starter motor. Generally it will be a 100 amp circuit breaker to protect the wiring (4 ga wiring). The second one is for the inverter and depending on the type and size of the inverter is will be 150 to 350 amps (4 ga to 0000 ga). The third one is for the power center and is usually a 50 amp circuit breaker with a much smaller cable (8 ga). This circuit breaker connects the batteries to the power center (main 12 volt fuse panel and charger). That said if your coach does not have an inverter or jacks you will not have those circuits or circuit breakers. There are 6 Thor MC manufacturing plants, each with its own engineers and designers, so nothing is standard across all Thor MC lines.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I prefer my Red buttons to be more like this one...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1567002105
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Easy.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	19908  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
THOR #16962
The Red light and dead batteries

When 12.8 volts is really 3.6volts
I have a 2019 Thor Vegas 25.6. The learning curve has been steep but, thanks to the members of this forum, I have managed to keep my head above water.

One of the differences I have noted with my unit is that the Main Power switch (the switchformerly known as use/store) is not a two position switch. It is a momentary switch (push it, you hear a click, and it returns to its original position) that enables the 12 volt system as evidenced by the light next to the switch illuminating. That light also illuminates when the shore power is connected. I have had the RV on shore power whenever it is at our home. In looking at the monitor panel, the chassis battery would occaisionaly drop down to 12.5 volts and I would start the engine and let it run for a while. The monitor panel showed an appropriate change in voltage. The coach batteries indicated a consistant 12.8 volts. That seemed normal to me since the converter is charging the batteries ... or is it?

I tried to turn on the radio while cleaning in the RV and it would not turn on. I thought I would start the generator - all I could hear was crickets. The control panel showed the usual 12.8 volts for the coach batteries. Something is really wrong!

I checked the circuit breaker near the batteries and that had not tripped. Next I placed the test leads from the voltmeter on the batteries. The reading was 3.67 volts!! Basically, I now have two very large paperweights in the battery compartment that will need to be replaced. Further investigation showed that the power switch, even on shore power and the light on, has to be pushed to enable the batteries to be charged. Let's see, did I push it once? Maybe I need to push it again? Was it on before I hooked up the shore power?

Unless I can trace out the circuit that is supposedly measuring battery voltage on the monitor panel and place it in a better spot, I will definately invest in a battery monitor system to keep track of the coach batteries.
Helpful suggestions are always appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mainpower.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	22197  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:32 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah that new switch Thor uses is kind of odd: It can be lit when unplugged and in "Use", when plugged in and "Use", and, more fatally, when plugged in and in "Store".

My suggestion would be to hit the button and ensure the light is on ALWAYS before plugging in--once plugged in you won't know. If you have to unplug to check do it: unplug and check.

In addition, when the battery is charging from the converter it will be higher than 12V--13V or 14V depending on the mode the charger is in.

I replaced one of my dash cigarette plugs with a USB charger with 12V meter (Amazon). Others have replaced the plug with this dual 12v meter (Amazon) for monitoring both house and chassis batteries.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:48 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Unless you connect a DC voltmeter directly to the house batteries you will not know their status when plugged into SP, you will be reading the DC buss voltage; and if you're plugged in, the DC buss voltage is the converter output voltage.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #18

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Has anyone replaced the dummy lights above the door in the control center with volt meter to monitor battery’s 2016 Thor axis
Old 01-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #19

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Unless you connect a DC voltmeter directly to the house batteries you will not know their status when plugged into SP, you will be reading the DC buss voltage; and if you're plugged in, the DC buss voltage is the converter output voltage.
That is true unless you have a remote display for an inverter.. If the coach batteries are charging the remote display will show 13.1 to 14.2 volts depending on converter temperature (or battery temperature if that option is installed) and the battery's state of charge. If the batteries are not being charged, the remote display will show the actual battery voltage, 12.8 volts or below.