Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 11:51 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Security? You are on a public WiFi network. Many other campers are on it. And the management and or employees that have admin access to that network can see everything that you do including key strokes.
Picture this. It’s Saturday morning and you’re hanging out at your local coffee shop using the free Wi-Fi to catch up on a few tasks you couldn’t quite get to during your busy week. Sound familiar? This is a typical scenario for many of us, but did you know you might be unaware of some threats lurking in the background on public Wi-Fi while you balance your bank account and sip a latte?

Safety for every device.

Security is no longer a one-machine affair. You need a security suite that helps protect all your devices – your Windows PC, Mac, Android smartphone or your iPad.

Learn More

What is public Wi-Fi?

Public Wi-Fi can be found in popular public places like airports, coffee shops, malls, restaurants, and hotels — and it allows you to access the Internet for free. These “hotspots” are so widespread and common that people frequently connect to them without thinking twice. Although it sounds harmless to log on and check your social media account or browse some news articles, everyday activities that require a login — like reading e-mail or checking your bank account — could be risky business on public Wi-Fi.

What are the risks?

The problem with public Wi-Fi is that there are a tremendous number of risks that go along with these networks. While business owners may believe they’re providing a valuable service to their customers, chances are the security on these networks is lax or nonexistent.

Man-in-the-Middle attacks

One of the most common threats on these networks is called a Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attack. Essentially, a MitM attack is a form of eavesdropping. When a computer makes a connection to the Internet, data is sent from point A (computer) to point B (service/website), and vulnerabilities can allow an attacker to get in between these transmissions and “read” them. So what you thought was private no longer is.

Unencrypted networks

Encryption means that the information that is sent between your computer and the wireless router are in the form of a “secret code,” so that it cannot be read by anyone who doesn’t have the key to decipher the code. Most routers are shipped from the factory with encryption turned off by default, and it must be turned on when the network is set up. If an IT professional sets up the network, then chances are good that encryption has been enabled. However, there is no surefire way to tell if this has happened.

Malware distribution

Thanks to software vulnerabilities, there are also ways that attackers can slip malware onto your computer without you even knowing. A software vulnerability is a security hole or weakness found in an operating system or software program. Hackers can exploit this weakness by writing code to target a specific vulnerability, and then inject the malware onto your device.

Snooping and sniffing

Wi-Fi snooping and sniffing is what it sounds like. Cybercriminals can buy special software kits and even devices to help assist them with eavesdropping on Wi-Fi signals. This technique can allow the attackers to access everything that you are doing online — from viewing whole webpages you have visited (including any information you may have filled out while visiting that webpage) to being able to capture your login credentials, and even hijack your accounts.

Malicious hotspots

These “rogue access points” trick victims into connecting to what they think is a legitimate network because the name sounds reputable. Say you’re staying at the Goodnyght Inn and want to connect to the hotel’s Wi-Fi. You may think you’re selecting the correct one when you click on “GoodNyte Inn,” but you haven’t. Instead, you’ve just connected to a rogue hotspot set up by cybercriminals who can now view your sensitive information.

How to stay safe on public Wi-Fi

The best way to know your information is safe while using public Wi-Fi is to use a virtual private network (VPN), like Norton Secure VPN, when surfing on your PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet. However, if you must use public Wi-Fi, follow these tips to protect your information.

Don’t:

Allow your Wi-Fi to auto-connect to networks
Log into any account via an app that contains sensitive information. Go to the website instead and verify it uses HTTPS before logging in
Leave your Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on if you are not using them
Access websites that hold your sensitive information, such as such as financial or healthcare accounts
Log onto a network that isn’t password protected
Do:

Disable file sharing
Only visit sites using HTTPS
Log out of accounts when done using them
Use a VPN, like Norton Secure VPN, to make sure your public Wi-Fi connections are made private

The WiFi Ranger Go AC has a safe surf feature. They stated that it is like using a VPN. I tried it by tracking the IP address and it said I was located where the corporate office was located. With it off, the IP address tracked back to where I was. And this is all on my cellular hotspot.
Think of surfing like sex, the more protection you have the better for many reasons.
Ok...whatever you say. I'm not gonna argue. But I do not the Wi-Fi Ranger creates a secure network for the coach. Log into it and then into the campground Wi-Fi. It's a secure connection at the coach. But if you see it differently so be it. Everyone knows better than I

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #22

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Ok...whatever you say. I'm not gonna argue. But I do not the Wi-Fi Ranger creates a secure network for the coach. Log into it and then into the campground Wi-Fi. It's a secure connection at the coach. But if you see it differently so be it. Everyone knows better than I
I only know because of reading about it. Cyber Security is going to get bigger and bigger every year. Just Google “is a campgrounds WiFi safe”. This way you do not need to take my word for it. I have a WiFi Ranger Go AC. If you activate safe surf on your control panel, that is like using a VPN. So WiFi Ranger tells me.
It is all about levels of encryption. If the campgrounds WiFi has been hacked or infected and you connect to it. Would you not think that you are at risk? Hackers broadcast false networks to get people to log onto them to get your information. Example, you are at a KOA. You could change your networks name to KOA, and no one would know that it’s your network. I just try to be really safe as I want to keep my information as safe as I can. I am sorry that you think that everyone knows better then you and that you feel that you have to argue to talk about something. I am glad that you are up and streaming. Safe travels.
Thanks for your service.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well you need to make sure you have the correct "KOA" address before you sign into. Dont just assume because you see TWO KOA's connections that both are the campgrounds internet. Need to ask the campground which one is correct.

But the WiFi Ranger add another layer of security ... but nothing is 100% safe anymore.

Another reason I have all Apple products. I never had a problem in 10 years (at home) and 4 years with laptop while traveling (yet - knock on wood) it seems that most problems (Hackers, viruses etc) are targeting PC's (As I use to say "IBM compatible").

No bashing please....Now someone will say "Apple is the worst" ...
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: British Columbia
THOR #12480
I have a Wifi Camp Pro 2. I can't get it to work. After numerous attempts, I have given up.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #25

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well you need to make sure you have the correct "KOA" address before you sign into. Dont just assume because you see TWO KOA's connections that both are the campgrounds internet. Need to ask the campground which one is correct.

But the WiFi Ranger add another layer of security ... but nothing is 100% safe anymore.

Another reason I have all Apple products. I never had a problem in 10 years (at home) and 4 years with laptop while traveling (yet - knock on wood) it seems that most problems (Hackers, viruses etc) are targeting PC's (As I use to say "IBM compatible").

No bashing please....Now someone will say "Apple is the worst" ...
I heard the same thing. When we started full timing we bought all new Apple products for that reason. Plus they have the best support out there.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #26

State: Ontario
THOR #9188
Wifi Antenna

Amazon has a number of wifi antennas that work quite well. I have used this one from idea works for several years to good effect. Works great at Camp Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Ideaworks-Dis...ateway&sr=8-19
Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
LDK

Model: Aria 3901
State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Our Winegard Connect 2.0+ has definitely helped us out on data connectivity. Has picked up on wifi and our ATT data service where our phones and laptops would not. imagine there are better solutions, but this device came with the coach.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Quote:
"Wilson Electronics" = WE hince "WEboost". Look them up. Its the untimate IMO but it is pricey (like $450?). But is a "booster" not an "extender".

Some folk wont need something like this.... but im still working full time so I need good internet and cell phone connectivity or else im living with you. Whats for dinner?

I have the WEboost. I made the mistake of letting my son use it and now I dont have a WEBoost, however, he reports that it does work. Someday I may get to find out. Actually there is only one campground that we go to that I need it and I havent been there in awhile. When I plan to go again I'll get it back.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #29

Model: Aria 4000
State: Tennessee
THOR #13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjr490 View Post
I have a Wifi Camp Pro 2. I can't get it to work. After numerous attempts, I have given up.
I have the same system and have grown to like it quite a bit. I'm using it in conjunction with a simple network switch to increase the number of hardwired connections (printer, Ooma VOIP phone, DVD streaming, etc), and that network connection is invaluable in our more-permanent-than-expected home. I haven't installed the antenna outside, but as you'll see below, it's become unnecessary.

Here's what it does:
- creates an independent network for your RV, with it's own name and security protocols
- connects to any available WiFi, like your hotspot or some Park networks, to serve as the source of Internet access. It will happily connect to any access point using basic SSID/Passphrase authentication at the router level.
- provides a basic firewall between your network and the internet-source network

Here's what it doesn't do:
- connect to any WiFi network which requires browser-based authentication (ie. the "splash screen" on Chrome/Edge/Opera which requires you to enter information provided by the park).
- provide a super-reliable permanent connection to the source internet connection, which requires you to log into the router itself (use a different name and password than the outside-facing network to alleviate confusion) and reboot it once in a while.

We use it in conjunction with my phone's hotspot, which is unlimited data, but it throttles after like 20gb. While the data is fast, everything works perfectly! As soon as it's throttled, however (thanks to my Netflix-addicted kids, that takes about 4 days), the ability to provide internet access to WiFi clients suffers dramatically. At that point, I just connect all WiFi clients to my phone directly, and the Camp Pro feeds internet to the hardwired phone and DVD/streamer adequately, and retains the network connection to the printer/scanner for those purposes. The throttled internet even allowed is to watch some often-blurry Netflix/Hulu regularly!

Hope this helps a bit!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #30

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
I play World of Warcraft and I gave up on RV and hotel wifi with or without an extender.
Bought a Jetpack from Verizon and use it exclusively. My private wifi is backed up with a 25 digit password and a VPN.
All you need is cell phone coverage.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Maryland
THOR #11820
My wife has a daily favorite show which lasts an hour. We have a Hot Spot on the iPhone 6s. She gets the show and I get the wifi connection. We are not full-timers, maybe 60 to 90 days a year in the motor home.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #32
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Also look into WIFI Ranger. Its not an "Extender" but a "Booster". It will take any WIFI signal within 2 miles radius and boost it. The closer you are the better the signal. So you can park a few block away from Starbucks or Walmart and have a good signal (but we try and purchase someting from the stores anyway to show our appreciation).

Its is more money and needs to be installed on the roof but its works really well.

It was very important that I have a good wifi and cell phone signal in order to work on the road. (we also have WEboost on the roof).

Both work well together but it really depend on what you "need" and how much you want to spend.

Check it out.... its not for everyone but at least you know your options.
I have a booster but dont see a difference...not sure if I need to do something other than follow the set up? which I did....
Old 05-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #33

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Winegard WIFI Extender System

My 2018 coach (THOR Siesta) came with the Winegard WiFi extender system installed. I have not been able to get it to work. I called Winegard and talked to one of their techs. I called THOR and redirected to the Winegard Tech service department. I had a friend who is in the communications system business go through the directions in an attempt to get it to work and still can not use it. The system is set up so that you can either use their data for a price or tie into your own cellular data system to operate. I wanted to use their data for their price but could not get to the needed area to pay for their data. This is an expensive system that was installed in my coach that I just can't get it to work.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #34

Model: Thor Chateau 24F
State: Colorado
THOR #15337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8nmike View Post
AT&T does sell the Netgear Nighthawk Cellular modem/router. I use on out on the farm and get good internet connections from it, I steam video from a surveillance camera.

https://www.att.com/buy/connected-de...teel-gray.html
Have you used this while traveling too? Curious how well it would work on the road and if a WeBoost would help with the LTE connection?
Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denappy View Post
Have you used this while traveling too? Curious how well it would work on the road and if a WeBoost would help with the LTE connection?

I have not, but I removed it from the farm this weekend so I'll be trying it on our next weekend outing and give more feed back
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #9751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I might actually find myself with some spending money for RV accessories...

Can anybody tell me how useful a WiFi extender is?
How much do they improve the available signal strength, and do you think that they are worth the money?

Oh! Which one would you suggest that I buy?
I think a WiFi extender is very helpful in my case. Well worth the money I paid for it.
I bought a:
Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 long range WiFi repeater RV kit R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF-Ant

through Amazon.com for around $150.00.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #37

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #9751
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieSmith View Post
I have the same system and have grown to like it quite a bit. I'm using it in conjunction with a simple network switch to increase the number of hardwired connections (printer, Ooma VOIP phone, DVD streaming, etc), and that network connection is invaluable in our more-permanent-than-expected home. I haven't installed the antenna outside, but as you'll see below, it's become unnecessary.

Here's what it does:
- creates an independent network for your RV, with it's own name and security protocols
- connects to any available WiFi, like your hotspot or some Park networks, to serve as the source of Internet access. It will happily connect to any access point using basic SSID/Passphrase authentication at the router level.
- provides a basic firewall between your network and the internet-source network

Here's what it doesn't do:
- connect to any WiFi network which requires browser-based authentication (ie. the "splash screen" on Chrome/Edge/Opera which requires you to enter information provided by the park).
- provide a super-reliable permanent connection to the source internet connection, which requires you to log into the router itself (use a different name and password than the outside-facing network to alleviate confusion) and reboot it once in a while.

We use it in conjunction with my phone's hotspot, which is unlimited data, but it throttles after like 20gb. While the data is fast, everything works perfectly! As soon as it's throttled, however (thanks to my Netflix-addicted kids, that takes about 4 days), the ability to provide internet access to WiFi clients suffers dramatically. At that point, I just connect all WiFi clients to my phone directly, and the Camp Pro feeds internet to the hardwired phone and DVD/streamer adequately, and retains the network connection to the printer/scanner for those purposes. The throttled internet even allowed is to watch some often-blurry Netflix/Hulu regularly!

Hope this helps a bit!
I agree with this post 100%.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I just got my copy of "Motorhome" magazine, and King is advertising a Wi-Fi antenna. (The Falcon)
They say that it's a directional, and it is self-aiming, and password protected.

Has anybody got one of these up on their roof yet?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #39

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have the winegard booster and can't figure out how to use it. I wanted to buy some of their gbs to use on a trip we just returned from. I was able to install but it would not allow me to go to the page where I can either purchase their package or use my own. I called their tech which did not help me figure it out. It does show up on my wifi search but that's about all it will do. My system has the 5 black antennas and not the dome. It came with my motor home and no instructions so I looked it up online. My system does not have the sim card slot so I can use my own cell service.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #40

Model: OUTLAW 37RB
State: Texas
THOR #9685
Ron1Z, did you install the Winegard yourself or did you have it installed? I am looking at getting it and was wondering where the cable is routed from the unit.

Thanks,
NavyVet1975