Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
WiFi Extenders...

I might actually find myself with some spending money for RV accessories...

Can anybody tell me how useful a WiFi extender is?
How much do they improve the available signal strength, and do you think that they are worth the money?

Oh! Which one would you suggest that I buy?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I'm in the process of deciding which direction to go myself.

I work with WiFi to some extent as part of the solutions I sell so I am somewhat familiar with WiFi and technology available.

There are a lot of factors to consider to determine what is right for you such as:

1) Cost..... how much are you willing to spend?

2) What will you be doing with WiFi... e-mail and surfing or streaming?

3) Your technical ability..... do you need something simple or can you handle something that requires a little more setup and configuration?

4) Complexity..... do you want to install an external antenna, run wires, etc.?

For some people, something like a NetGear EX3700 can help...

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC750...s%2C182&sr=8-3

The biggest challenge is the campground itself. How good is their internet connection? How good is their wireless coverage? How many other users will there be on at one time and what will they be doing?

You could put in an expensive system but if the campground performance marginal, it will only help a little.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks; you've given me a lot to think about.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Also look into WIFI Ranger. Its not an "Extender" but a "Booster". It will take any WIFI signal within 2 miles radius and boost it. The closer you are the better the signal. So you can park a few block away from Starbucks or Walmart and have a good signal (but we try and purchase someting from the stores anyway to show our appreciation).

Its is more money and needs to be installed on the roof but its works really well.

It was very important that I have a good wifi and cell phone signal in order to work on the road. (we also have WEboost on the roof).

Both work well together but it really depend on what you "need" and how much you want to spend.

Check it out.... its not for everyone but at least you know your options.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

The biggest challenge is the campground itself. How good is their internet connection? How good is their wireless coverage? How many other users will there be on at one time and what will they be doing?

You could put in an expensive system but if the campground performance marginal, it will only help a little.
Well said. 99.9% of campgrounds WiFi SUCKS. Your lucky if you get 1mbps down. There are not that many open networks anymore as they are WPA. I use a AT&T Mobley and it works AWESOME! I use 125 - 200 GB per month. The big thing is it is a secure network. As hooking up to someone else’s WiFi is not a secure net work. They can see everything you do if the choose.
I have the air Ranger Go AC. Works awesome. Lately I use mine to connect 7 devices in seconds.
So if you want to invest in WiFi, get a Mobley.
This is the first serious post I think I have seen you post.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Well said. 99.9% of campgrounds WiFi SUCKS. Your lucky if you get 1mbps down. There are not that many open networks anymore as they are WPA. I use a AT&T Mobley and it works AWESOME! I use 125 - 200 GB per month. The big thing is it is a secure network. As hooking up to someone else’s WiFi is not a secure net work. They can see everything you do if the choose.
I have the air Ranger Go AC. Works awesome. Lately I use mine to connect 7 devices in seconds.
So if you want to invest in WiFi, get a Mobley.
This is the first serious post I think I have seen you post.
The Mobley isn't available any longer.... I think. AT&T now has the Spark. The E-450 is not listed in the compatibility list by the F-450 is listed as compatible so I would think they have an option for the Fords. Looks to be $30/month now for unlimited data.

This might be the best option for the money to take the campground WiFi out of the equation..... assuming there is good AT&T coverage.

The inexpensive WiFi extender and the vehicle 4G hotspot may be the best combination to get your decent Internet access 90% of the time.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
L&WR
Who makes these "boosters"?
Or is it just a game of semantics?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
AT&T does sell the Netgear Nighthawk Cellular modem/router. I use on out on the farm and get good internet connections from it, I steam video from a surveillance camera.

https://www.att.com/buy/connected-de...teel-gray.html
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've been doing some digging around the 'net, and found a list of the "top 12 Wi-Fi extenders"
I noticed that Winegard's top offering was only listed at number eleven...
I always thought that they were highly regarded...

https://www.smartrving.net/best-wifi-boosters-for-rv/
Old 05-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
My Fleetwood Southwind came with the Technology Pckg which included a Cradlepoint Wifi Extender.

Not all that excited about it. Last night, I tried to connect to the RV park wifi, unsuccessfully. The Extender cannot connect if the network uses a web splash page (sign in). In this case, a page that required site # and password.

To test functionality, I did successfully connect my phone’s mobile hotspot.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
L&WR
Who makes these "boosters"?
Or is it just a game of semantics?
"Wilson Electronics" = WE hince "WEboost". Look them up. Its the untimate IMO but it is pricey (like $450?). But is a "booster" not an "extender".

Some folk wont need something like this.... but im still working full time so I need good internet and cell phone connectivity or else im living with you. Whats for dinner?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 05-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've been doing some digging around the 'net, and found a list of the "top 12 Wi-Fi extenders"
I noticed that Winegard's top offering was only listed at number eleven...
I always thought that they were highly regarded...

https://www.smartrving.net/best-wifi-boosters-for-rv/
Yep, I did my research two years ago and the WIFI Ranger (internet) was best along with WE BOOST (= CELL phone connection).

I think my last posting I mention WE boost. Sorry I ment Wi Fi Ranger.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1558028435
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanks A Bunch.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	17446  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #14

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, I did my research two years ago and the WIFI Ranger (internet) was best along with WE BOOST (= CELL phone connection).

I think my last posting I mention WE boost. Sorry I ment Wi Fi Ranger.
I agree with those are the best offerings in those categories.
I have had my Mobley for more then a year no with no dead zones. I even had to talk over WiFi because my Verizon could not get a signal.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #15

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The Mobley isn't available any longer.... I think. AT&T now has the Spark. The E-450 is not listed in the compatibility list by the F-450 is listed as compatible so I would think they have an option for the Fords. Looks to be $30/month now for unlimited data.

This might be the best option for the money to take the campground WiFi out of the equation..... assuming there is good AT&T coverage.

The inexpensive WiFi extender and the vehicle 4G hotspot may be the best combination to get your decent Internet access 90% of the time.
People have been saying that for a while. But sone people reported getting one. The trick is to call AT&Ts car connected division. And even then you may need to call back a couple of times to speak to someone in the know. I had to do that a year ago.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #16

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Funny, just got finished installing the Wineguard 2.0 today. We are not intrested in streeming just looking for a booster. The last two camp grounds that we were at had no signal unless we went near the office. Guy next to me gave me his passward to his Wineguard 2.0 and no issues after that I was sold and only $189.00 from Amazon and yes I installed it myself, easy peezy.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Our Hurricane came with Wi-Fi Ranger. Here is what like about it...

It does seem to boost and hold the available signal well. Not sure technically how this happens, but we tested to see. One laptop kept dropping the signal. One on the Ranger stayed connected. And it was a campground with good Wi-Fi for a campground.

Seems once it gets a signal it is able to maintain that connection well.

It does boosts the signal.

It provides you your own secure network at your rig. This was my biggest thing. Security and signal consistency have been great.

What do we not like? Pretty much nothing. It is an odd set up at first. Once you go through the instructions and get your devices paired correctly, though, you're good to go.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
One more thing we like...no subscription necessary.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #19

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Our Hurricane came with Wi-Fi Ranger. Here is what like about it...

It does seem to boost and hold the available signal well. Not sure technically how this happens, but we tested to see. One laptop kept dropping the signal. One on the Ranger stayed connected. And it was a campground with good Wi-Fi for a campground.

Seems once it gets a signal it is able to maintain that connection well.

It does boosts the signal.

It provides you your own secure network at your rig. This was my biggest thing. Security and signal consistency have been great.

What do we not like? Pretty much nothing. It is an odd set up at first. Once you go through the instructions and get your devices paired correctly, though, you're good to go.
Security? You are on a public WiFi network. Many other campers are on it. And the management and or employees that have admin access to that network can see everything that you do including key strokes.
Picture this. It’s Saturday morning and you’re hanging out at your local coffee shop using the free Wi-Fi to catch up on a few tasks you couldn’t quite get to during your busy week. Sound familiar? This is a typical scenario for many of us, but did you know you might be unaware of some threats lurking in the background on public Wi-Fi while you balance your bank account and sip a latte?

Safety for every device.

Security is no longer a one-machine affair. You need a security suite that helps protect all your devices – your Windows PC, Mac, Android smartphone or your iPad.

Learn More

What is public Wi-Fi?

Public Wi-Fi can be found in popular public places like airports, coffee shops, malls, restaurants, and hotels — and it allows you to access the Internet for free. These “hotspots” are so widespread and common that people frequently connect to them without thinking twice. Although it sounds harmless to log on and check your social media account or browse some news articles, everyday activities that require a login — like reading e-mail or checking your bank account — could be risky business on public Wi-Fi.

What are the risks?

The problem with public Wi-Fi is that there are a tremendous number of risks that go along with these networks. While business owners may believe they’re providing a valuable service to their customers, chances are the security on these networks is lax or nonexistent.

Man-in-the-Middle attacks

One of the most common threats on these networks is called a Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attack. Essentially, a MitM attack is a form of eavesdropping. When a computer makes a connection to the Internet, data is sent from point A (computer) to point B (service/website), and vulnerabilities can allow an attacker to get in between these transmissions and “read” them. So what you thought was private no longer is.

Unencrypted networks

Encryption means that the information that is sent between your computer and the wireless router are in the form of a “secret code,” so that it cannot be read by anyone who doesn’t have the key to decipher the code. Most routers are shipped from the factory with encryption turned off by default, and it must be turned on when the network is set up. If an IT professional sets up the network, then chances are good that encryption has been enabled. However, there is no surefire way to tell if this has happened.

Malware distribution

Thanks to software vulnerabilities, there are also ways that attackers can slip malware onto your computer without you even knowing. A software vulnerability is a security hole or weakness found in an operating system or software program. Hackers can exploit this weakness by writing code to target a specific vulnerability, and then inject the malware onto your device.

Snooping and sniffing

Wi-Fi snooping and sniffing is what it sounds like. Cybercriminals can buy special software kits and even devices to help assist them with eavesdropping on Wi-Fi signals. This technique can allow the attackers to access everything that you are doing online — from viewing whole webpages you have visited (including any information you may have filled out while visiting that webpage) to being able to capture your login credentials, and even hijack your accounts.

Malicious hotspots

These “rogue access points” trick victims into connecting to what they think is a legitimate network because the name sounds reputable. Say you’re staying at the Goodnyght Inn and want to connect to the hotel’s Wi-Fi. You may think you’re selecting the correct one when you click on “GoodNyte Inn,” but you haven’t. Instead, you’ve just connected to a rogue hotspot set up by cybercriminals who can now view your sensitive information.

How to stay safe on public Wi-Fi

The best way to know your information is safe while using public Wi-Fi is to use a virtual private network (VPN), like Norton Secure VPN, when surfing on your PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet. However, if you must use public Wi-Fi, follow these tips to protect your information.

Don’t:

Allow your Wi-Fi to auto-connect to networks
Log into any account via an app that contains sensitive information. Go to the website instead and verify it uses HTTPS before logging in
Leave your Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on if you are not using them
Access websites that hold your sensitive information, such as such as financial or healthcare accounts
Log onto a network that isn’t password protected
Do:

Disable file sharing
Only visit sites using HTTPS
Log out of accounts when done using them
Use a VPN, like Norton Secure VPN, to make sure your public Wi-Fi connections are made private

The WiFi Ranger Go AC has a safe surf feature. They stated that it is like using a VPN. I tried it by tracking the IP address and it said I was located where the corporate office was located. With it off, the IP address tracked back to where I was. And this is all on my cellular hotspot.
Think of surfing like sex, the more protection you have the better for many reasons.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860