Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
windshield wipers get stuck

I had a similar problem. I removed the wiper arm by using a fly-wheel pulley. It worked like a charm. You can get an inexpensive pulley at most auto parts store. Good luck.

Machlin

Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #22

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Revjeffery,
Fotofx posted a picture earlier in this post of the knurled piece by itself. In order to have any adjustment in the orientation of the mate between the knuled part and the arm, the knurled piece must be separated from the knurled underside of the wiper arm. I removed my arms several times in my adventures. At some point the knurled piece would be tightly mated into the wiper arm as you described and wouldn't fall out into my hand, so I took a small screwdriver and tapped on it from the top of the arm and got it to fall out. That allowed me to place the knurled piece back on the shaft and using trial and error I was able to reposition my wiper arm into the desired resting point. I found it easier to do by flipping the wiper arm outward as if you were getting ready to clean the windshield. I could then put the arm down onto the shaft, let the arm down to rest on the glass and observe the position. If I wanted to do it over, I would pull the arm back up to where it sticks up, lift the arm straight up off the knurled piece just enpugh to allow me to pivot the arm just a little and then put it down onto the shaft and finally let the arm down on the glass. The last step is to install the nut and tighten carefully.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #23

Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Wiper trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdudetim1 View Post
On a 2016 Ford Thor Hurricane the windshield wipers travel too far to the drivers side of the windshield and when it is windy they will get stuck all the way to the drivers side. The passenger wiper actually travels below the windshield rubber molding and the end of it gets stuck below the drivers wiper mounting bolt. This usually happens when the wipers are on full speed.
I had read somewhere on this forum that the fix is to remove the arm from the drive bolt and reinstall it 1 notch counterclockwise from the original position. After removing the nut from the wiper drive bolt I expected to see a splined drive bolt.
Instead there is a special bolt that has been cut flat on two sides and is threaded on the radius sides. The wiper arm will not slide off of the drive bolt, so I am needing to find out how to remove the arm from the bolt so that I can reposition it more counterclockwise on the drive bolt.
Does anyone know how to get wiper arm off the drive bolt?
Thanks

Tim Parks
Attachment 6831

Hi, I had the same trouble with my Challenger 37GT. The trouble was not with the wipers but with the arm control bracket. I put it in the shop several times, adjusted the position of the wiper arms and so on but every time I would turn them on while on the freeway they would flop way over and bind.

Try to look at the wiper motor itself and the gears that run the arms. The bracket itself was flexing when any wind pressure was applied (such as driving). The gear box (for lack of knowing what else to call it) was allowing the arms to be put in a bind, there should be no flexing in this and once I finally took the mechanic by the hand and showed him this (and explained it to him!) they finally reenforced this and it finally fixed the issue. Just be sure to inspect and replace the wiper arms themselves as mine were bent just slightly enough to not clean the windshield properly.

Hope this helps
Don
Old 09-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I just read on iRv2 that there is a recall for the Thor windshield wipers. If you are still having problems I would call and ask about it.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #25

State: Missouri
THOR #4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I just read on iRv2 that there is a recall for the Thor windshield wipers. If you are still having problems I would call and ask about it.

Thanks Super D. The recall is to tighten the driveshaft/bearing assembly nut on the passenger wiper, which does not address the issue properly.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #26

THOR #4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hi, I had the same trouble with my Challenger 37GT. The trouble was not with the wipers but with the arm control bracket. I put it in the shop several times, adjusted the position of the wiper arms and so on but every time I would turn them on while on the freeway they would flop way over and bind.

Try to look at the wiper motor itself and the gears that run the arms. The bracket itself was flexing when any wind pressure was applied (such as driving). The gear box (for lack of knowing what else to call it) was allowing the arms to be put in a bind, there should be no flexing in this and once I finally took the mechanic by the hand and showed him this (and explained it to him!) they finally reenforced this and it finally fixed the issue. Just be sure to inspect and replace the wiper arms themselves as mine were bent just slightly enough to not clean the windshield properly.

Hope this helps

Don

Thanks Don. That is the same interpretation that I arrived at. The support system and linkage connecting arms are under-engineered.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #27

THOR #4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Revjeffery,
Fotofx posted a picture earlier in this post of the knurled piece by itself. In order to have any adjustment in the orientation of the mate between the knuled part and the arm, the knurled piece must be separated from the knurled underside of the wiper arm. I removed my arms several times in my adventures. At some point the knurled piece would be tightly mated into the wiper arm as you described and wouldn't fall out into my hand, so I took a small screwdriver and tapped on it from the top of the arm and got it to fall out. That allowed me to place the knurled piece back on the shaft and using trial and error I was able to reposition my wiper arm into the desired resting point. I found it easier to do by flipping the wiper arm outward as if you were getting ready to clean the windshield. I could then put the arm down onto the shaft, let the arm down to rest on the glass and observe the position. If I wanted to do it over, I would pull the arm back up to where it sticks up, lift the arm straight up off the knurled piece just enpugh to allow me to pivot the arm just a little and then put it down onto the shaft and finally let the arm down on the glass. The last step is to install the nut and tighten carefully.

Thank you, this helped a lot.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #28

THOR #4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
I will be intrested also in what you find out. My RV was wrecked and the bodyshop removed the entire wiper system from the old front cap and installed it on the new front cap. I kept having problems with the drivers wiper going off the side of the RV and getting stuck. I took the whole thing off several times by removing the arms and the two large nuts. The the entire mechanism can be pushed back through the cap and removed from the RV. No matter how I had positioned the arms the driver side had too much travel. I finally determined that the driver side and the passenger side have different ranges of motion and that the entire unit was upside down. So I have flipped it over and put it back in place.
Now the drivers side has about a 90 degree range which should allow it to work without going below the bottom of the windshield and stop at a verticle position and not go beyond the edge of the windshield. The passenger wiper can have a 120 degree range which should be just fine too. On mine the z linkage you referenced is facing down. It had been facing up. It was necessary to unclip the cover on the air filter in order to get the unit back through the holes in the front cap. Once inserted all the way, the air filter cover can be secured again. I even compared mine to a new unit at an RV dealership to be sure the orientation is correct.

Very interesting ComputerChips. I will relay on to the mechanic working on it.
Thank you!!!!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #29

State: Florida
THOR #8220
We are having the same exact wiper blowing off issue and it has become really dangerous. We read this forum and called the phone# listed for the gent at Thor who is working on the issue- of course it Saturday and raining and windy... the good news his voicemail gave the # for Thor After hour support- 574-584-3388 ext 4 if after hours. The tech called back and told us the only quick fix was to remove the passenger side wiper blade completely until we can get to an authorized Thor dealer where it should be a warranty item as ours is a 2017 Windsport 29M. I'm hoping by now they have a correction that will work as we are still 2000 miles from home!
Old 09-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: Delaware
THOR #8608
HI folks use purple or blue lock tight .Take arm assembly apart and apply on all threaded areas. Reassemble no more problems

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane
THOR #14778
I have had this passenger blade going under the drivers blade twice now, I tightened the big nut under the blade I will try to find the small nut to tighten tomorrow. 2 times driving 50 miles with no wipers sucks. Not sure what to do next if this doesn't work. 2014 Thor Hurricane. Any help is appreciated
Old 05-13-2019, 02:25 AM   #32

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
There was a recall on this. Contact Thor to get it fixed right
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #33

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
We had this happen to us twice, complete failure of the windshield wiper system. The first one happened with the frame that connects the linkage, It completely broke apart and we had to have it welded at a local RV place in Alabama. The second time it happened there was complete failure of the linkage itself, beyond repair. We thought that the original repair corrected our situation, but obviously it didn’t. Now you you might say, why didn’t we bring it back to camping world for the recall, sure and I would’ve have had it back till next year. What we had to do was get the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration involved. Long story short the entire system including the water bottle was shipped to our house. Then Thor contacted us and said they would pay for the unit to be installed at our local certified autobody shop. The next day the entire unit was installed with no problem. Here is the information to file a complaint, the investigator who helped us, his name is Larry Long. He is completely familiar with this recall, and extremely helpful.
DOT Auto Safety Hotline
Vehicle Owner's Questionnaire To Report Vehicle Safety Defects
1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236) INTERNET:www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline
Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #34

THOR #14778
I called Thor and the recall on my Hurricane was taken care of 2 years ago. I looked at the wiper motor while it was on high and the passenger wiper arm kept getting closer and closer to the other wiper. It looked like the motor arm was not running true and kind of ossilating My RV is on extended warranty so I guess I will have to take it the only warranty people which is 70 miles from me to get it fixed. Thank you all for your input to help solve my problem.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:39 AM   #35

THOR #4471
Thor windshield wiper problem

After many unsuccessful attempts by myself to fix this problem, I took it to an independent RV repair place. They ordered in replacement parts for the entire system and when they arrived it was discovered that it was not configured in the same manner as the OEM system. We were relieved that this would fix the problem. I had to turn the RV over to another driver (it’s a marketing RV) and the new system failed also. The other driver took it to another shop and they just put a smaller blade on the drivers side. It does not sweep the glass as effectively as the big one, but it does keep the system from locking up. All this on our dime as Thor would not put up.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #36

THOR #3584
I did everything that you stated, including smaller wipers, this was a dangerous situation and would fail when I needed them with no warning! This is about the worst safety hazard that I can imagine, and I can’t believe that this was allowed to be installed on any vehicle whether it be a smart car or a diesel pusher, cost should have nothing to do with it. Enough is enough, when I contacted DOT Auto Safety Hotline
Vehicle Owner's Questionnaire To Report Vehicle Safety Defects
1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236) INTERNET:www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline
THINGS STARTED MOVING REALLY FAST
Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #37

THOR #14778
Mine did this 2 times to us in rain storms and we just found out that the wiper motor shaft was broken. Extended warranty will pay for this. Take it to a warranty repair RV shop and get it checked out
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #38

State: Florida
THOR #11545
Another wiper failure

Planning to call DOT today after a 4th wiper over travel failure. It only happens while driving (under wind pressure). The nut is not the problem - that is a Thor copout to get DOT off of them.

The problem is the entire system as SuenMike mentioned. On our 2015 37MD the entire wiper system frame flexes allowing the passenger side to over extend, damage the engine cowl and interlock with the driver side. Between 4 repair shop attempts to remedy and fix the cowl damage we decided leave the passenger side wiper off until DOT can regulate Thor.

SuenMike,
Do you have a DOT reference number?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #39

THOR #3584
Larry.Long@dot.gov
He is personally involved with this recall, and extremely familiar with the entire system failure.
Send him an email along with the information I gave on my May 14, 2019 entry on this forum. It was worth it, and the entire system functions properly.
Good luck, it wasn’t much of a battle after I contacted Larry long. Thor contacted me, The entire system was delivered to my home within three days, and a local certified body shop installed the system, with Thor paying the bill