Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
Windsport 31S Transfer SW

New 2016 Windsport 31S, just returned from Wakarusa for warranty work and now the transfer switch appears to not be working. Shore power provides 110 AC, but generator does not provide any power. The circuit breaker on the genny is "on", and switching it does not help. On my Bounders, I could locate the switch and tap it with a hammer to get the switch to change.
Any assistance is appreciated.
BruceW

Old 11-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
was it working before?
I'm not familiar with that model, but mine is under the bed, right where the shore power cable enters the MH. I'd think id would be easy enough to trace that shore cable to find it....then trace the genny cable to see if anything is out of sorts there.
Are you sure it has a transfer switch? many coaches just have a plug, to which you manually connect either the shore power cord or the cable from the genny.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
State: Florida
THOR #3836
transfer switch

I have a 2016 31s hurricane its sister. my transfer switch is under the rear bed.
take the mattress off and you will see a big plywood cut out. remove the two screws and every thing is under their.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
On our 29M it's in the same place, under the bed in a small raised compartment. Like chopshop said, remove two screws and the cover comes right off.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
Transfer Switch

Thanks guys for responding. Yes, it has worked before, in fact the genny has over 21 hours and it's provided AC the entire time, until last week. I started it, while at Ft. Campbell shopping, and it ran for over 20 minutes without ever bringing up the AC. When I returned home, I connected the shore power, then started the genny, thinking it might transfer, as it should when already connected to shore power. I thought that might "force" it, but it didn't. I had a Progressive Industries Surge Protector installed at the Perry GA FMCA reunion in March. During April, while at Camping World getting some warranty work done, one of their technicians worked on the TS, for some reason that I don't remember, but its worked fine since. I've tried to measure the output with a voltmeter, but can't get the top off the TS box. I've also checked all the fuses, and everything else I can think of without taking it back to CW. I've given up and called them yesterday. The next available appointment is "late Dec"!!!
BruceW
'16 Windsport 31S
USAF (Ret.)