Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Dutchmen | Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #4432
Angry Dutchman campers, problems, problems, problems!!!

Here is a letter my husband sent to Dutchman. I doubt that they will respond as in my eyes, in order to have a good camper from them, you need to buy one every year as after that, they start falling apart. Well, actually before, our tires we found out after they blew were already 3 years old when they put them on and guess what? No warranty!!!!

Hello: We first saw this unit at the Tampa RV show in Feb. 2010 and we were excited about finding a unit that fit our needs exactly. After a lot of thought, we took a ride out to, at that time, Dusty’s Camper World in Bartow, FL. Since the unit was already a year old, they gave us good deal along with trading in our Pop-Up. Now we could load the motorcycle in the front end and start camping. And we did, all over Florida along with our annual snow-bird trip back to Indiana for the summers. Well, now the fun is turning into disgust.
Let me begin with the tires. We had a blow-out in Indiana less than a year after we bought the camper. The tires were also not the correct load rating. Dutchmen finally relented into giving us $200 towards new tires. A big “thank you” to Joni Bunz, who has since, to my knowledge, left the company. At about the same time, we noticed some delamination on the front cap. Upon inspection, I found that the clearance lights had not been sealed properly and water was leaking in. Too late, said Dutchmen, “not our problem, the unit is over a year old”. Now the whole front cap has to be removed to repair the water damage.
Two years ago I had to replace two brake assemblies and the magnet coils in each one failed. Not fun when traveling through Smokies. That failure also cost me new rear brakes on the truck!
Now more fun! While waxing the unit the other day I noticed that the bracket for the front strut of the canopy that the bracket was a little loose. No problem, I’ll just tighten the bolts a little. Hmmm, they won’t tighten and just spin in the hole. Upon removing the aluminum skirt and cutting away the protective fabric I found rotten wood!! Not an easy fix. And now I’m wondering, what other parts of the unit are rotting away.
According to the Dutchmen Owners Forum, we are not alone in this fiasco. How does company stay in existence? Keystone management would do well by getting rid of the company.
I’m sending some pics, not as many as I’d like, but it’ll give you some idea of what’s going on.
Wish I could load the pictures of all of the rotten wood and delamenation!