Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Dutchmen | Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #1

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Colorado
THOR #4780
Dutchmen Kodiak problems

2016 Dutchmen Kodiak 279

Purchased a new trailer from LaMesa RV in Tuscon. During the walk through, I noticed a blown fuse. Instead of fixing the problem, the mechanic came out and put in a larger fuse. Of coarse it didn't fix the problem. That circuit blows every time I tow the trailer. Still have not figured the problem out yet.
On the trip home, the cabinet door on the end of the center island fell off. It had been installed with 1/4 inch screws. I replaced them with 3/4" screws, problem fixed.
Behind the range there is a flat panel that has 3 small slots and 3 larger slots to hold knives. When I tried dropping in some knives, they were hitting something. I removed the screws holding that panel in place to find that the rubber propane hose that feeds the range was attached to the back wall behind the range directly below the knife slots. I removed the clamps holding the rubber hose in place and relocated it away from the area that the knife blades are in.
On our first trip with friends, we went to set up the bed that uses the dining table. Found out the bed rails were too far apart to hold the table top up. When I got home, I removed all the screws holding the right hand side seat base in place and moved it in about an inch so it would hold the tabled top in place.
My wife is short, about 5' tall. The mirror/medicine cabinet in the bathroom was mounted all the way up tight to the ceiling. My wife couldn't even see her head. I lowered it about 8" so now it is usable to both of us.
The skylight blind above the kitchen kept falling down because the screws holding the blind in place kept pulling out because the screws were only into a thin piece of plastic. I removed the entire skylight and replaced the screws with machine screws and nuts. Another problem fixed.
The sensors in the holding tanks don't work. The tanks can be empty but the control panel will show the tanks full or partially full. They can be full and the panel lights will show them empty. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for how the lights show what level the tanks are. They are completely useless.
The shower leaked on the skies and around the door. I used a silicone seal on all of the seams in the shower and fixed the leaking. There was no silicone seal on most of the seams in the shower.
We've had multiple pieces of trim fall off and some other minor issues that I've fixed. Overall we are pretty disappointed with the workmanship of this trailer. Fortunately I'm very handy and can fix just about anything otherwise this trailer would have been sitting at a shop somewhere having warranty work done more then it would have been available for us to use. American pride in workmanship is nonexistent with this factory.