Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Crossroads RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Minnesota
THOR #592
Do I really need to turn off the overdrive

Hello all,
Curious question about turning off overdrive when pulling my TT.

Recently purchased a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD with the Duramax 6.6 diesel. I think the rear end has the 3.72 or 3.73 (sorry not sure but it is 3 point something). The camper I am pulling is a 2013 Crossroads Sunset Trail. It is 34 feet long and I think it weighs 6800 pounds dry. Fully stocked with groceries, kitchen and cooking items, clothing and other stuff (no water) I'm guessing the weight would be around 8000-8500 pounds. Some people I have spoken to don't turn off the overdrive but they do keep a eye on how often the transmission shifts depending on flat or hilly terrain. Others have said they keep a eye on the transmission temp gauge. I am new to owning a diesel so I am curious has to what my truck can do and what it can not do. It has the Allison transmission that people have said is virtually indestructible. I have not yet pulled the camper with this Chevy 2500HD. So I am just asking for advise on this one

Old 02-05-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Just about everybody I know of, including myself, use the tow haul mode when pulling the camper.
That's what they put it on there for.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 AM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 38GK
State: Texas
THOR #439
It depends on YOUR situation...
if you've got enough truck and engine, the tranny won't have to be geared down in a lower gear to deliver the power needed....

everyone I know, including myself, does not use tow haul - unless their tranny is doing a lot of hunting up and down for the right gear...

7000-8000 lbs is probably on the low end of your trucks tow ratings and you probably won't even know it's back there - good choice

While I don't know what a 2005 chevy version of tow haul is, the older fords just basically locked out high gear...
so you were running around in one gear less than you could use and getting poorer mpg - MUCH poorer !

The newer trucks have much improved trannies and engines that are not nearly as taxed unless you get up into the 15 - 17k range even WITH the tall gearing they can put in them ...

Heck, towing my 'horse of a trailer', I even put on the cruise, place it in manual 6th gear and let the turbo work it over anything less than a 3% grade so it DOESN'T go through the downshift, speed up, then upshift, then apply the brakes because it over accelerated the set speed

good luck and once you do pull yours you'll find out ! Now go camping !
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Use the tow haul mode while towing. This changes the shift point. Only take it out of the overdrive mode if thee transmission starts hunting for gear changes a lot. You be fine just hook up and go
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Medic
If the mfg. didn't think the tow haul mode was necessary for your vehicle, they wouldn't have put it on. My advise is "use it". The Allison is virtually indestructible, because of safe guards like the tow haul mode. Plus the fact that it is smarter then a lot of the people who are sitting behind the wheel trying to second guess it. I've owned and towed with a Duramax with the Allison, and I can tell you for a fact, it does not lock you out of high gear (over drive). The tranny will shift into the gear that it knows is right for the situation. Some times it can seem like it won't shift into over drive, but there's a reason. Could even be something as simple as you don't have enough RPMs/speed, or it's working harder than you realize. There are some grades out west that can be very deceiving.

If you want/need more confirmation, stop by your dealership and asked the service manager.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

THOR #439
With all due respect...

they also put siriusXM radios and antennas, and block heaters,
and just changed cigarette lighter over to power ports, etc... so lot's of things are on vehicles that may or may not be used

as stated - don't know the chevy side of it...
but we've gone through this many times over on truck forums and most figure out they don't need it IF (and a big IF !) they buy enough truck to tow their load...

granted if the tv is undersized for the load, it is prudent to use tow haul... the engine needs the higher shift points to be able to get going well enough into the torque curve to not bog when up shifting.

but the new owner will find out what works for him and whether or not HIS load and terrain conditions warrant using tow/haul or not...

have fun - sorry if I don't agree ...
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
When you and the boys over on the truck forums can show me a degree or some other credentials that states you know more then the engineers for the auto industry, I might believe you. Until then I advise the op to not take your advise.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

THOR #439
Sorry maybe I should have clarified that I was referring to the truck rv and towing forums...
I am not saying anything about your engineering prowess so why go right to the extreme ?!?

Don't get so defensive .. i'll drop out now... bye

now, I see why there is not much activity on this forum
Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
I also use my tow haul mode when towing. Honestly, if something happens to your truck when towing and it is under warranty, they may void the warranty if you weren't using tow/haul mode. As Lloyd said it holds your gears longer. It will use more fuel so some do not like to use it but I would rather pay the difference in fuel than in potential engine/tranny damage.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
johnboytoo:

You and I have had this discussion before. I didn't agree with you then, and I don't agree with you now.
If you are going to post info it would be good if it was correct.

Your bumper isn't the only thing to consider when hauling a heavy load. Another important factor is your truck's power. While many trucks have the ability to haul a trailer, some have a special tow/haul mode that helps you tow heavier objects safely.
The tow/haul mode changes a vehicle's transmission shift patterns. Pulling a heavy load requires a lot of power. The tow/haul mode reduces shift cycles. Depending on the truck, it may also boost torque and engage an engine braking mode to help drivers maintain control while driving up and down hills.
In general, the tow/haul mode changes shift points to higher RPM limits. This helps you keep moving as you haul your trailer. As you go down hills, you may notice that your transmission will downshift earlier than normal. This allows the transmission to help you slow down and saves wear and tear on your brakes, too.
Many manufacturers design the tow/haul mode so that it disengages a vehicle's overdrive feature. Shifting frequently can cause overdrive to burn out.
Check your owner's manual to see if your truck has a tow/haul mode. If it does, consider engaging it when you need to haul a heavy load. It will help you maintain control of your vehicle and trailer and cause less stress to your truck's transmission over a long haul. __________________
Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #11

Model: 37' fifthwheel
State: Connecticut
THOR #470
The moral to the story is USE TOW HAUL MODE! I always use it on my ram, works along with the exhaust brake and shift points