Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Crossroads RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Exclamation Does anyone else use their camper after winterizing?

We winterized our 19ft Zinger a month ago, but we’re thinking about taking it out in a few weeks to do some camping. I’m planning on not using the water at all, but I would be firing up the heater to keep us warm…. I figure that it’s got to be better than tent camping. Does anyone else do this? Are there any other issues that I would run into when doing this?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I've done it... and no issue if you don't use the water at all (supply or drain)...

If you do put some water down the drain (brushing teeth, etc) - before you park it again - best to empty the tank - and pour some more antifreeze down the same drain - just to be sure you didn't dilute the antifreeze in the trap too much.

If you can't dump - then add more antifreeze down drains to offset the water in the tank. The drain pipe (tank to dump valve) would now have water in it and could freeze/crack if not enough antifreeze with it...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
In a typical year I wind up winterizing my coach about 3 times due to winter use. I do use the water during winter camping. Here are some my my practices for winter use.

1. Dry winterize until I know our year has ended. I blow out the lines, dump the tanks, remove the water filter and pour antifreeze in the drains (takes about 1/2 gallon).
2. When going on a trip I put about 15 gallons of water in the fresh tank in case a campground turns off their water when temps drop below freezing.
3. I disconnect the fresh water hose at night when temps get below freezing
4. I use the furnace rather than electric heaters because the furnace keeps my wet bay and tanks warm and prevents freezing
5. I again winterize the coach when I get back home
6. Have a flexible schedule and plan B in case the roads gets nasty

I do carry a portable compressor so if necessary I can blow the lines out at the campground. I have not yet had to do this.

Been using these practices for years and have not had any issues.

Here is a pic of us camping in our prior coach a couple of years ago. There were about 3 other rigs at the campground at the time and the campground did turn off the water from about 9 PM until 10 AM each night. We were there for three nights visiting our daughter on our way to Nashville.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fancy Gap.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	3566
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There are a few useful tips for camping in a winterized RV on the Roadtreking blog:
Meals & Cleanup in a Winterized RV - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
Tahquamenon Falls camping in the wintertime - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog

One interesting tip: Bring extra antifreeze and use that to flush the toilet.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote