Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Crossroads RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ontario
THOR #1498
Mattress mold?

Hi I am Kevin and are new to this forum. I am having a problem with my mattress in my 2014 29mk cruiser aire, it is made by wolf corporation tranquility cool gel mat by Slumberease, purchased in March of 2014 picked up April 2014 used in the summer then down to Florida in Dec and now in Texas Jan 2015.The mattress is molding between the bottom and the board it is setting on but no mold under the board in the storage. So not even one year old and crossroads will not help me in any way, so here we are in the middle of my winter trip forked out 650.00 dollars to replace the mattress for our health and safety. Pictures have been sent to crossroads and they say the can not help me. I was wondering if I was alone with this problem??

Old 01-31-2015, 03:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
If you have mold, you probably have a leak.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
it sounds like what seems to be a common problem in popup campers... often caused by condensation
I think folks often insulate the platform to help.....
Old 01-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I am not certain the material that you mattress is made out of, but the Gel leads me to believe it is a sealed type mattress. If this is the case it can not breath, thus the moisture gets trapped between the the mat and the wood platform. Was that mat an upgrade by the dealer? most mats are junk, we replaced ours in the first six moths, with a good Serta. Any way to help, put a cotton blanket between the mat and the wood platform this will take care of the moisture
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #5

Model: 37' fifthwheel
State: Connecticut
THOR #470
For the new mattress place a piece of the foil insulation under it. You can get this at a camping world store, condensation seems like the cause.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Try using a de-humidifier , get the 110 v one, then put in the sink so it can self drain. also leave a vent cracked open. You need a tiny bit of air flow, and the coach needs to breath a bit.
Or as a test get a few of those "keep it dry" tubs that CW sells, just remember that you need to set them in the sink(s) so they can drain into your gray tank & you won't have to empty them twice a day
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:14 AM   #7

Model: 37' fifthwheel
State: Connecticut
THOR #470
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgerreid View Post
Hi I am Kevin and are new to this forum. I am having a problem with my mattress in my 2014 29mk cruiser aire, it is made by wolf corporation tranquility cool gel mat by Slumberease, purchased in March of 2014 picked up April 2014 used in the summer then down to Florida in Dec and now in Texas Jan 2015.The mattress is molding between the bottom and the board it is setting on but no mold under the board in the storage. So not even one year old and crossroads will not help me in any way, so here we are in the middle of my winter trip forked out 650.00 dollars to replace the mattress for our health and safety. Pictures have been sent to crossroads and they say the can not help me. I was wondering if I was alone with this problem??
I found the slide out was sweating from camping in the cold, so in cold weather we pull mattress away from wall 2 inches and place a fan there to blow air down to bottom of mattress and it works.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:07 AM   #8

Model: 25.2
State: Alaska
THOR #4999
Condensation Under Mattress

After discovering condensation under the mattress while camping in cold wet weather; temp outside 29-32 temp inside 68. The mattress is located in the queen slide out the backend of the Vegas. Our supposition is that the created thermal differences create the condensation on top of the white base of the slide unit that the mattress then starts to soak up.

We are trying a product called R+Heatshield (mm's thick) placed on top of the mattress base and fastened down with white duct tape as a temperature barrier in an attempt to block the temperature differences and hopefully also the creation of condensation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R+Heatshield Install.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	3457  
Old 12-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Cheap trick I learned years ago is placing foil bubble wrap insulation down and taping it in place. You can get the insulation at most home improvement stores. You really need to find a way to remove the moisture, maybe a dehumidifier.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #10

State: Alaska
THOR #21299
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maynards View Post
After discovering condensation under the mattress while camping in cold wet weather; temp outside 29-32 temp inside 68. The mattress is located in the queen slide out the backend of the Vegas. Our supposition is that the created thermal differences create the condensation on top of the white base of the slide unit that the mattress then starts to soak up.

We are trying a product called R+Heatshield (mm's thick) placed on top of the mattress base and fastened down with white duct tape as a temperature barrier in an attempt to block the temperature differences and hopefully also the creation of condensation.

Hello unknown this is an old post but did this solve your issue? I have the same problem with an Axis.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMcFly View Post
Hello unknown this is an old post but did this solve your issue? I have the same problem with an Axis.
The O.P. hasn't checked back in here since February, 2015...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #12

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
A Google search of "condensation under the mattress" brings up a number of answers.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we've just encountered this same phenomenon ourselves, after having lived in our motorhome off and on for over 6 years, much of that time as full-time living - I started noticing dark 'moisture' or a wet spot under the upper end of our bed mattress, quite by accident, when I simply moved the mattress to 'turn it'. Our bed is situated at the rear of the coach, on the back wall. It sits right over the engine, the diesel engine. The bed frame is basically a 'box' that sits over the top of the engine, all plywood as the 'base' for the bed.
I realized fairly quickly that while it may seem initially that it 'must' be a leak, or outside water or moisture intrusion from the base of the bed, or from the engine itself, it's probably none of those. I realized that this happens while we are parked, for LONG periods of time, and certainly not the engine itself. Since water doesn't typically move up, either, it wasn't any leak.

I've found also that the bottom of the mattress is VERY MOIST, and yes, starting to show signs of molding. After some cursory searching on the net, it seems that this is actually not that uncommon with solid foam mattresses. They are not well designed to sit on SOLID surfaces, since there's no way for the mattress to 'breath'. It needs to breath since a solid foam mattress easily traps body heat, sweat, etc and has little way get rid of it since little airflow enters the area. A typical spring mattress has a 'cavity', so this very rarely any problem with those, and they also don't typically lay right on a solid surface.

I tried several things to mitigate not having to replace the mattress, which has worked very well over 6 years - using small 1/2" x 1/2" wood strips to provide some air flow below the mattress, and even places wood paneling over those strips for the mattress to also lay on - either way, the moisture continued.

We recently, just this week, decided that the 'full-time' living with a sold foam mattress, like this Denver mattress that came with the coach, might not be a good choice - RV manufacturers, and mattress manufacturers, don't probably contemplate folks sleeping EVERY NIGHT of the year on these mattresses, on a sold platform, with no air flow - so we went to Sams Club and picked up the Queen 'firm' spring mattress on sale for $299.00 to replace it. It seems to work very well, and is basically as comfortable as the original mattress, along with a 3" foam topper that we had added only a year ago.

I just check the bottom of the new mattress, and the top of the platform, and no worries... no more moisture.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:21 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1607714459
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horrified.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	27580  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #15

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The O.P. hasn't checked back in here since February, 2015...
A one and done... I think OP was looking for a different narrative; one that would find the mfg of mattress at fault to recoup some or all of his $650.

You can get the effect on an improperly covered boat; if it can't breather the humidity can form inside and the condensation can slowly to turn to mold. My covers has boat cover cover has vents and a camper in storage may not?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
A one and done... I think OP was looking for a different narrative; one that would find the mfg of mattress at fault to recoup some or all of his $650.
I agree...
Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #17

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I have seen matress heaters used to warm foam units

Would be interesting to hear if that helped with the warmth helping to move the moisture up and into the coach
Old 12-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
While on the subject of mattress’, what manufacturers have you folks found, that make folding RV mattresses. Ours is terrible. Even with a 2 inch topper. And with the topper, it doesn’t fold up completely, and hits the thermostat button turning the AC from 73 to 99.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree...
Bob, what’s the word on your foot issue?
Old 12-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for asking!
After 9 Months: I'm back to being Bi-Pedal!