Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Keystone RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Shadow Cruiser
State: Arizona
THOR #3381
Keystone Cougar - High Country 337FLS

I didn't see an existing thread on Keystone Cougars, so I thought I'd start one. I'm curious if there are any thoughts on this particular model or about Keystone 5th-Wheels in general? You can't swing a dead cat on an Arizona highway without hitting a Keystone Montana and they're beautiful trailers, but my wife and I believe the new Cougar High Country 337FLS is a magnificent trailer for us and is now our number one choice for an upgrade. What I would love to know from experienced 5th-Wheel owners is if I really need to upgrade to a Ram 3500 diesel to pull a 10,000 pound trailer or if that would be a bit over-kill?

Thanks in advance for your info and opinions...

Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We had a Cougar for over 10 years:

We started out pulling it with an F-250 with a V-10, and ended up using an F-350 with a V-10 (as you see in the image above). The combination weighed in at around 16,000 lbs total. Primarily moved to the F-350 because the tongue weight of the 5th wheel was close to the max payload on the F-250.

We liked the Cougar a lot, but wanted something a bit smaller (hence the move to the Axis motorhome).

The dry weight of our Cougar was around 8,000 lbs thus the one you're looking at is likely 2,000-3,000 lbs heavier than ours. I'd highly recommend at least a 3500 pickup to pull that around.

With 5th wheels you really have to watch the hitch weight. Typically the hitch weight + the trucks weight will easily exceed the GVWR of a 2500 series truck.

Keystone has changed hands a few times since our camper. The new ones I've been in have looked really nice.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Shadow Cruiser
State: Arizona
THOR #3381
Thank you, that's good advice.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: South Carolina
THOR #3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHawg View Post
I didn't see an existing thread on Keystone Cougars, so I thought I'd start one. I'm curious if there are any thoughts on this particular model or about Keystone 5th-Wheels in general? You can't swing a dead cat on an Arizona highway without hitting a Keystone Montana and they're beautiful trailers, but my wife and I believe the new Cougar High Country 337FLS is a magnificent trailer for us and is now our number one choice for an upgrade. What I would love to know from experienced 5th-Wheel owners is if I really need to upgrade to a Ram 3500 diesel to pull a 10,000 pound trailer or if that would be a bit over-kill?

Thanks in advance for your info and opinions...
We bought a 2016 Cougar 337fls, front living room. This was the one I wanted but now see that it has too many extras. Like a 50" tv, really not needed for 2 people.
The frig, double door, not needed and has been a real pain, usually works with AC, seems to hate the LP mode, everything was warm when we returned home on the last trip. So it goes to the shop Friday. Now the stove doesn't want to start either, possibly another LP issue.
Just make sure the bedroom door in the hall way is secure before you take off, ours won't hold in the latch and they had to replace it.
Steps to living room are a little steeper than I remembered and sofas are not that comfortable.
I do like it, just don't love it.
We have a F-250 diesel, and it pulls it with no issues.