Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Keystone RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2016, 12:32 AM   #1

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
Let's hear from Cougar owners or any Keystone owners

Keystone owners seem to be a quiet lot. Not only here but on the Keystone owners website as well. Is no one enjoying their unit or is everyone too busy having fun?
Let's hear the good and bad as we can help each other out that way.
My wife and I are any-timers 3 seasons. We generally stay home at the beach during summer and are ready to go any time school is in session.

Edgewater 205 EXP
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We used to have a 2003 Cougar 281EFS (Bunk model 5th wheel). That is the camper we traded in for our Axis:

There used to be a very active Keystone Forum (I think it was keystonecamping.com or something like that--don't remember now). I was as active, if not more, there than I am here (was on so much that they made me an admin). It was a very active site for Keystone owners. I've kept up with some of my fellow admins from there the past few years via e-mail. None of us were given any warning about the impending demise of the site.

Then one day the site just up and vanished; completely disappeared (this was before Thor acquired the Keystone brand). Since then I don't think there really has been a definitive Keystone forum site which may explain the lack of owners.

We were very happy with our Cougar--enough to keep it for over 10 years. Had very little trouble with it and very few issues when we first picked it up.

We just got tired of the combo being so large (over 40ft going down the road as you see in the above pic). My wife was afraid to drive the combo. She drives the Axis around like its nothing (even when pulling a car which puts us close to the length of the truck+5er..go figure ! LOL). She just feels safer driving around the Axis.

Have you checked to see if there are many Keystone owners on irv2?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:51 AM   #3

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Smile 2016 Cougar Here

We have a 2016 Cougar 1/2 ton series 277RLSWE that we purchased used 4 months ago. We are very happy with it so far. The Keystone Owners forum has a lot of traffic. We use to belong to the Hurricane Forum and I just found this Forum today. Did not know that Thor had a keystone Forum Before today.
Mel
Old 09-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #4

Model: Cougar 304BHS
State: South Carolina
THOR #13115
2004 Keystone Cougar owner here

The wife and I just purchased a 2004 Cougar 304BHS travel trailer. It's our first RV. After sitting in the driveway as the remnants of hurricane Florence passed thru, we went outside to get to loading up for a trip this Wednesday, only to find a leak in the driver's side "shirt closet" in the master bedroom. Looks like I'll be busy tomorrow, locating/fixing said leak.

Ed
Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

THOR #5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgtmstng View Post
The wife and I just purchased a 2004 Cougar 304BHS travel trailer. It's our first RV. After sitting in the driveway as the remnants of hurricane Florence passed thru, we went outside to get to loading up for a trip this Wednesday, only to find a leak in the driver's side "shirt closet" in the master bedroom. Looks like I'll be busy tomorrow, locating/fixing said leak.

Ed
Most likely leak is where the cap meets the roof or one of the marker lights on the cap. Leaks can be tough to find.

Edgewater 205 EXP
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #6

THOR #13115
With 2 days to fix it before our trip, I'm wondering if Rustoleum "LeakSeal" or Phil Swift's ubiquitous "Flex Seal" sprays will do the job. Any thoughts? Thanks a million!
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgtmstng View Post
With 2 days to fix it before our trip, I'm wondering if Rustoleum "LeakSeal" or Phil Swift's ubiquitous "Flex Seal" sprays will do the job. Any thoughts? Thanks a million!
I used the Flex Seal spray to fill in the cutout behind our taillights on the motorhome. Worked great.
Click image for larger version

Name:	axistaillights3.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	12855
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

THOR #13115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I used the Flex Seal spray to fill in the cutout behind our taillights on the motorhome. Worked great.
Attachment 12855
Excellent! Thanks!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:26 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 26RBS Cougar X-Lite
State: New Mexico
THOR #14729
Greetings all of you Cougar owners out there:
In answer to a question on why Cougar owners are quiet, from full timer of 14 years, I would have to say I'm not finding much in the way of pride in ownership like there used to be amongst RVers. Wonder how we could bring that back?
This is my fourth RV home on wheels so I am researching as much as possible.
Here's a good question:
Why was 2019 the last year for automatic leveling on the Cougar Half Ton X-lite Tt series?

2016 RAM 1500 Quad Cab towing a
2019 26 RBS Cougar Half-Ton X-Lite
See Ya Down The CougarRd
Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 AM   #10

THOR #5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarRd View Post
Greetings all of you Cougar owners out there:
In answer to a question on why Cougar owners are quiet, from full timer of 14 years, I would have to say I'm not finding much in the way of pride in ownership like there used to be amongst RVers. Wonder how we could bring that back?
This is my fourth RV home on wheels so I am researching as much as possible.
Here's a good question:
Why was 2019 the last year for automatic leveling on the Cougar Half Ton X-lite Tt series?

2016 RAM 1500 Quad Cab towing a
2019 26 RBS Cougar Half-Ton X-Lite
See Ya Down The CougarRd
I never thought auto-level was a good idea on any lite models, including 5ers. Those 8" frames with the weight being lifted / twisted by leveling systems seemed to me questionable. I had auto-level on my Cougar and have it on my Montana, would not be without it, but will not have a lite model either. The 12" frame on the Montana does not even flex as each of 6 legs move.

Edgewater 205 EXP
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
here's my 1957 cougar...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03755.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	16241  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 26RBS Cougar X-Lite
State: New Mexico
THOR #14729
Lightbulb This is why I like RV owner forums

Very interesting.....
That might explain why the dealer was quick to trade me for a Premier Tt with a defective black water tank and resulting damage after that. This is my 3rd RV in a year and a half.....disgusting but I'm stuck with it.
Don't want to try another trade out.
Might be better to just leave this on here on my lot in a desert RV park and find a cargo van to convert for travel......Sigh!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #13712
WE just sold our 2010 324RLB Cougar - loved that unit and all the trips we took. Only upgraded to the Motor Coach for my wife's health - her back could not ride well in the F-250 with the 5ver attached for more than 2 hours at a time - would take a line time to get to the west coast 2800 miles away. Never had big complaints other than I wish the leveling system was an option when we bought it - would have been a no brainier for me! We added the second AC unit for these hot southern summers and glad we did, the polar pack kept everything from freezing - great unit with few issues.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #14

State: California
THOR #15950
Just bought a 2016 Cougar 25bhs. Can hardly wait to get it on the road,up hear in Port Perry, ONTARIO,CANADA