Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Redwood | Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
"new" Carriage eventually!

Eventually, Carriage will be added to this thread. Hopefully, September '13.

When my wife and I purchased our painted Infinity we were actually looking forward to a Carriage. They went belly up.

We're optimistic about what is coming in the "new" Carriage. Although, we do have a Lippert remote for our three slides and awning in our Infinity. Really nice feature. Inside looking at the moldings connect to wall while moving the slides out is nice. When we move them back in I am outside watching the seals come together at the outside walls. Again, nice feature. We also, have a nice island that wraps around into the galley slide. Gives us a lot more exposed counter top than in the Redwood. Plus, our Infinity has the largest bedroom/cabinet slide in the Thor industry. We also, have horizontal wooden blinds. Another reason, that we chose an Infinity versus a Redwood.

In an RL (rear living) "new" Carriage we are hoping that they pay attention to these features that we have in our Infinity and add basement storage beneath the living area. We know it will create a step up into the living area and will reduce area to heat or cool due to the ceiling to floor ratio. Will be a nice feature, also.

Can't wait to see what they have done or.........not done.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: RL
State: Illinois
THOR #15
New Ideas for Carrage

I recently saw the "New" stuff that Peterson is doing on one of their 5th wheels. This made me happy because I think some of their ideas are great and in the RV world, once someone does something, others follow.

A few years ago Redwood was the one forging ahead with new ideas and many others follow suit. Hopefully the "NEW" Carriage will incorporate some of these ideas as well. The following is what I liked that Peterson is doing:

#1 the Rhino roofing
#2 the hydraulic system in the floor for ease of maintenance
#3 the batteries in the floor so they're easy to service

I'd still like to see someone put an extra set of jacks at the very rear of the trailer to help eliminate the shaking. A retractable power cord and freshwater reel like the diesel pushers have.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Model: 36 RL
State: Washington
THOR #283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave and ginny View Post
I recently saw the "New" stuff that Peterson is doing on one of their 5th wheels. This made me happy because I think some of their ideas are great and in the RV world, once someone does something, others follow.

A few years ago Redwood was the one forging ahead with new ideas and many others follow suit. Hopefully the "NEW" Carriage will incorporate some of these ideas as well. The following is what I liked that Peterson is doing:

#1 the Rhino roofing
#2 the hydraulic system in the floor for ease of maintenance
#3 the batteries in the floor so they're easy to service

I'd still like to see someone put an extra set of jacks at the very rear of the trailer to help eliminate the shaking. A retractable power cord and freshwater reel like the diesel pushers have.
Those are all features that would get my attention!!
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #4

THOR #234
I must say that although Redwood may utilize and create good ideas......... their foundation/frame was created from Heartland. Heartland showed up in the RV market in '07. I didn't see a Redwood show until 2011.

Thor purchased Heartland and started placing the Heartland I-beam frames (now known as Lippert frames) on all Thor owned brands of 5th wheel camper trailers.

From there you will notice similarities from all Thor 5th wheel campers. Where the differences begin are where the individual brands place their own details, such as; slides and interior details that individualize each Thor brand.

The schwinteck slide that is used on a Redwood bedroom was placed on the Dutchmen travel trailers in 2010 (manufactured in '09) before Redwood brand ever existed. Schwinteck is also used on my Infinity.

The point is that throughout the Thor industry I believe information is shared. Innovation is created and shared through the Thor brands.

I do know that whatever comes out from the new Carriage factory will be the most innovative to date.

I'm looking for: storage beneath the living room in an RL. A Lippert remote for the slides and awning as I now have in my Infinity. I would like to see a smooth hard shell fiberglass roof. Three axles or dually on tandems underneath to accomodate the 18,000lb GVWR.

That's my short list.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #5

Model: RL
State: Illinois
THOR #15
Up until 2010, all the floor plans of the 5ers were all about the same. It got very boring while shopping for a new trailer. When I saw my first Redwood I almost screamed "it's about time somebody did something different". But for about 10 years they all did the same thing without any new designs or options.

Now, there seems to be a competition on who can come up with new styles. As for the frames, Lippert makes most of the RV frames and a good share of the RV accessories for most of the RV companies. As I posted earlier I'm anxious to see the race continue for more new ideas and designs. As long as there's good competition, the end user wins.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #6

THOR #234
Well...........unfortunately, we won't be able to see any new Carriage Resort units anytime soon. According to the owners of Redwood campers; they've stated that Redwood hasn't even designed a Carriage Resort unit, yet.

I'm sure where Tom Montague has parted ways with Redwood it also has put the brakes on the Carriage Resort brand.

I'm hoping that somebody picks up the Carriage line and runs with it. Newmar company who made Mountain Air and American Star 5th wheel units should purchase the name brand where Redwood isn't.

Or, maybe........Tom Montague has purchased the rights and is going to do it himself.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
if I understand the rumor mill correctly, while Thor has the carriage name, the rest was actually purchased by former carriage employees. this was posted on crossroads forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
(Lloyd) The theory of Thor bringing back and manufacturing the Carriage can be laid to rest. It ain't going to happen. Thor bought the name "only". A bunch of the old employs bought the rest, and they are now manufacturing their own new unit. Called "Lifestyle".
I happened to be in a dealership buying a new water pump, and they were giving a new owner the PDI on one. Well low and behold if that rig didn't pull into the park here for their over night shake down. It's big, and it's very very impressive!!!!!!

anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #8

THOR #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
if I understand the rumor mill correctly, while Thor has the carriage name, the rest was actually purchased by former carriage employees. this was posted on crossroads forum
It's not a rumor. It's all public information. Redwood is owned by CR and Thor obviously owns all these RV companies listed on this forum. Thor also, owns many different RV component companies.

In a news release submitted by Redwood stated, 'Redwood has purchased the Carriage name and all Real Property (Estate). Also, all the remaining content'.

The news release was posted sometime in January of this past year. The news release implied that Cross Roads and Thor was allowing Redwood to have made the purchase of Carriage.

Later this year, Redwood was moved to the old Cross Roads building to be manufactured. Redwood at this time has sold 3,500 fifth wheels since it started manufacturing.

Quote from OLD FARMER has nothing to do with the Carriage purchase or ownership. Lifestyle was manufactured long before the sale of Carriage. Kinda' curious how many Lifestyle 5th wheels have been sold.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
Lifestyle Luxury RV is owned by EverGreen Recreational Vehicles.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I not only would be surprised, I would be totally shocked if there is ever a new RV with the Carriage name produced "any" time in the near future.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #11

State: South Dakota
THOR #65
I have to agree with Lloyd, and even if they did, it wouldn't mean anything. The owner of the Carriage name could put it on a tent camper if they wanted to. As for Carriage itself, the name is all that's left. Carriage was a good fiver. We traded an 06 Carri-lite 5 slide for our Redwood and I will have to say the quality of our Redwood is equivalent to the Carriage but the Redwood has 6 years of product advancement over the Carriage.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #12

THOR #234
Carriage is dead for now. Tom Montague has parted ways with Redwood. Tom was the one that was enthusiastic about the nurturing of the Carriage Resort.

We'll see if there's anything worth purchasing in January at the Tampa Show.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

THOR #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
The old Carriage is now the "Life Style" coach.
Some of the previous employs from carriage have the rights to it--except for the name. They are now building the Life Style.
And, I must add, it's one very nice unit!
Where did you get your information? I got mine from the press release back in January about the Carriage sale of name, Real Estate, and equipment. Redwood made that purchase. Again, public information.......check it out.

You can disagree with me all you want.........you cannot disagree with written facts.

There's no question that about 50 past Carriage employees got together and built the Lifestyle. I'm sure it is a nicely built unit.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Where did you get your information? I got mine from the press release back in January about the Carriage sale of name, Real Estate, and equipment. Redwood made that purchase. Again, public information.......check it out.

You can disagree with me all you want.........you cannot disagree with written facts.

There's no question that about 50 past Carriage employees got together and built the Lifestyle. I'm sure it is a nicely built unit.

I got my info from a dealer that is selling Life Style, and, Cross Roads line. You would think he has the right info, seeing as he has a rep from each. Maybe last January's news is out dated?
Anyway, according to him CR has the Carriage name "only". I'm not sure where you came up with "50 employees" I'm of the understanding it was more like 360 employees that went with the company.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #15

THOR #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I got my info from a dealer that is selling Life Style, and, Cross Roads line. You would think he has the right info, seeing as he has a rep from each. Maybe last January's news is out dated?
Anyway, according to him CR has the Carriage name "only". I'm not sure where you came up with "50 employees" I'm of the understanding it was more like 360 employees that went with the company.
I'm only sayin' what I have read. It may not even be correct information that has been written.

I know that CR owns Redwood. The press release was all about Redwood, which surprised me. Nothing was said about CR in the press release.

If 360 people from Carriage went to build Lifestyle units, is that what they have or have they hired more people? Just curious. Or, don't you know?

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
If 360 people from Carriage went to build Lifestyle units, is that what they have or have they hired more people? Just curious. Or, don't you know?

I don't know how many people work there.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
According to this article, my 360# is not accurate. It does shed a little more light on the subject.
Laid off RV employees start their own company - WSBT-TV
http://articles.southbendtribune.com...fficials-wheel
Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #18

State: South Dakota
THOR #65
Besides the name, what is there that you could get or buy from the carriage factory that would be of value to a specific RV. Any of the equipment that was used to build a Carriage was the same as used to build any other RV. Any of the plans are several years old, and there would be nothing special or new in them. The cabinets were built to Carriage specs by the Amish in Indiana. All the appliances and furniture were bought from other suppliers. The frame and suspension were no big secret and nothing special. The walls were constructed as others are. If some of the employees moved to or started a new rv line, they had no special skills, just maybe some good ideas. This is what produced the Redwood which is a good 5ver, but nothing special. Some of the other Carriage employees could do the same thing and build a good RV, but it really has nothing to do with Carriage itself.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
rcflame--
You apparently haven't bothered to pick up a brochure on the Life Style, nor do any other checking before posting your assumptions.
I think maybe it would be most beneficial and very enlightening for you to do so. You might even learn something.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #20

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
Quote:
The frame and suspension were no big secret and nothing special. The walls were constructed as others are.
False Statement

I would take a boxed frame built in house with a MOR/ryde suspension and Dexter axles over an I beam Lippert built frame, Equa Flex suspension and Lippert axles any day of the week. I prefer hung walls with aluminum studs as opposed to laminated walls that depend on the block foam for rigidity.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote