Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Redwood | Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
My Redwood RV History

This is my introduction to Redwood RV trailers, from day one.

In the Fall of 2010 my wife and I had stopped into a Carriage dealership. The dealership (Tafts of Conway, NH) was a stop we made on our way enroute to the Fryburg Fair. We always stopped there to check out the 5er trailers that they had. This one time we noticed very few newer model Carriage units in stock. Over by the building was a name we had never seen. "Redwood", tan & white in color. Checked it out, nice rig.

Fast forward Fall 2011. Tafts has been sold to Camping World. Sale had taken place no new trailers and no Redwoods.

December we leave for Florida with plans of looking very seriously of replacing our 5er with something, such as, a Redwood. The RV Super Show was in the middle of January 2012. We went for three days looked through so many 5ers that we couldn't see straight. Back and fourth, back and fourth. Trying to get through what was similar and what wasn't. We went back to our Florida camp site with brochures and a tremendous amount of information.

Previous to arriving in Florida we had discussed the brands we had already seen and heard of. Redwood, Carriage (so we thought), DRV and more. We narrowed down to a Redwood rear living. They had them at Lazy Days. Everything was looking good for us purchasing the Redwood until we observed that the washer was in the cabinet which is in the bedroom slide. All of a sudden my wife and I came to a screeching halt. My wife says she's not looking for a problem that that drain hose can create. I've learned to pick my battles. So, this ended our life as a Redwood owner. All over a drain hose.

We had also, gone back and fourth on the Infinity. Large bedroom slide with cabinets in hallway with no washer in the slide. Yes dear, that's the one!

We took delivery of our painted Infinity two months later March 20, 2012. Drove out to Indiana to do the PDI and brought it home.

During 2012 still continued keeping up with Redwood's movement very lightly. By the end of 2012 a friend of mine ordered a 31SL. They took delivery in February 2013. They love it. They do nothing on the computer. So, no websites or forums for them. I on the other hand am on forums and I like the brand he has. I have registered on many different forums for myself and I can see information issues and non-issues. I have gotten in on discussions and those discussions have helped my friend and even myself off the Redwood forum. The similarities include, Thor, Schwintec slides, Hydraulic leveling system and floor plan.

Earlier in 2013 there was talk of Redwood creating Carriage Resort. My wife and I got excited. By September 2013 Carriage Resort never materialized. Low and behold a new looking Redwood was introduced. Still had the washer in the slide out cabinet.

We went to Florida in November and went to the RV Super Show in January. We're keeping our eyes open for the next one. We have a world of information that I wasn't armed with in 2012. We'll have issues with whatever we purchase...........we just hope that there are very few.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Rushmore Monticello
State: Ohio
THOR #524
What's wrong with your Infinity. It looks great.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
Thanks for the good word. It's a nice unit.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: RW39MB
State: New York
THOR #10
I'll just add my 5 cents worth. We have a 2012 36RL (yep washer in the bedroom slide). We had the initial problem of the drain hose pulling apart. I made some mods and fashioned a clamp assembly using cable ties to prevent it from repeating.
Now two years later my mod is still holding up and the washer gets used almost every other day.
These things are like owing an expensive Sport Car (we had an older Vette), unless you can do most of the little repairs your self, they will nickel and dime you to death.
We love our RW and have yet to see anything we like better (some have come close, but not enough to start all over again).
2018 Chevy K3500HD High Country, Crew cab, DRW, D/A pulling a 2016 Redwood RW39MB, full body paint, dual ACs, dual awnings, Residential fridge, fireplace, sleep number bed, auto leveling, auto sat dish, stacked w/d, disk brakes, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde IS and pin box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Onan 5.5K Genny.
Michelle & Ann S.
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

Brand: DRV
State: Maryland
THOR #2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
This is my introduction to Redwood RV trailers, from day one.

In the Fall of 2010 my wife and I had stopped into a Carriage dealership. The dealership (Tafts of Conway, NH) was a stop we made on our way enroute to the Fryburg Fair. We always stopped there to check out the 5er trailers that they had. This one time we noticed very few newer model Carriage units in stock. Over by the building was a name we had never seen. "Redwood", tan & white in color. Checked it out, nice rig.

Fast forward Fall 2011. Tafts has been sold to Camping World. Sale had taken place no new trailers and no Redwoods.

December we leave for Florida with plans of looking very seriously of replacing our 5er with something, such as, a Redwood. The RV Super Show was in the middle of January 2012. We went for three days looked through so many 5ers that we couldn't see straight. Back and fourth, back and fourth. Trying to get through what was similar and what wasn't. We went back to our Florida camp site with brochures and a tremendous amount of information.

Previous to arriving in Florida we had discussed the brands we had already seen and heard of. Redwood, Carriage (so we thought), DRV and more. We narrowed down to a Redwood rear living. They had them at Lazy Days. Everything was looking good for us purchasing the Redwood until we observed that the washer was in the cabinet which is in the bedroom slide. All of a sudden my wife and I came to a screeching halt. My wife says she's not looking for a problem that that drain hose can create. I've learned to pick my battles. So, this ended our life as a Redwood owner. All over a drain hose.

We had also, gone back and fourth on the Infinity. Large bedroom slide with cabinets in hallway with no washer in the slide. Yes dear, that's the one!

We took delivery of our painted Infinity two months later March 20, 2012. Drove out to Indiana to do the PDI and brought it home.

During 2012 still continued keeping up with Redwood's movement very lightly. By the end of 2012 a friend of mine ordered a 31SL. They took delivery in February 2013. They love it. They do nothing on the computer. So, no websites or forums for them. I on the other hand am on forums and I like the brand he has. I have registered on many different forums for myself and I can see information issues and non-issues. I have gotten in on discussions and those discussions have helped my friend and even myself off the Redwood forum. The similarities include, Thor, Schwintec slides, Hydraulic leveling system and floor plan.

Earlier in 2013 there was talk of Redwood creating Carriage Resort. My wife and I got excited. By September 2013 Carriage Resort never materialized. Low and behold a new looking Redwood was introduced. Still had the washer in the slide out cabinet.

We went to Florida in November and went to the RV Super Show in January. We're keeping our eyes open for the next one. We have a world of information that I wasn't armed with in 2012. We'll have issues with whatever we purchase...........we just hope that there are very few.
Dave could you enlighten me the reason for your dislike of a washer in a bedroom slide?