Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Redwood | Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
Redwood units cracking

FYI, cracking is occurring on the slides of 2014 and older models. Wasn't happening upon being manufactured. Its now starting to show up 2-3 years later.

Apparently, the situation has been corrected on the redesigned 2014 and 2015 models.

If you own a Redwood I would recommend inspecting the slides. No one has mentioned anything from the factory.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
State: Colorado
THOR #565
SOME Redwoods, not ALL Redwoods. I count 5. Be accurate if you are going to be the Redwood Watchdog.

As an actual Redwood owner, I can tell you that I do not have a crack on my 2014, nor is your statement that the redesigned 2014 models are provided with the stress relief joint correction accurate. The change started during a certain manufacturing month in 2014 that has nothing to do with the redesigned nose and tail cap and graphics.

Accurate information can be obtained from those that have experienced the crack on the Redwood website redwoodowners.com.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

THOR #234
Just spoke with Lloyd, a moderator, on this forum. I asked that my Information, that wasn't exactly right be removed (as a Redwood owner suggested). Lloyd said, where I didn't verbally abuse anyone or a product he didn't feel that removing my comment was needed.

I'll say that the non-structural cracking has happened to "some not all" Redwood trailers.

If you own a Redwood 5er please check it. As another cosmetic note; delamination has occurred on some. Not on the redesigned trailers.

As Atom Ant has suggested in his post, go to the Web Redwoodowners.com . There are a few hundred of the several thousand Redwood owners communicating on that forum. Good bunch of people.

Again, I never meant to misguide anyone with what I stated.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 AM   #4

THOR #565
Dave,

What is up with all of these alarmist discussions on Redwood? What is your pre-occupation with Redwood when you own an Infinity? Why can't you stick to the brand you have! You aren't doing any Redwood owners any favors! Maybe you just have issues and I should leave it at that.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

THOR #234
I'm going to stick my neck out on a limb and guess that not every Redwood owner is either on the forum or knows of it. Friend of mine is one.

There also, may be people that are motorhome owners or some other type of RV owner that may be a friend of a Redwood owner. They may surf through or lurk through these forums and pick up information. A person would need to go to one of the Redwood forums to actually gather Redwood information. The Redwood forums are a great source of information if every owner went there. But they don't.

If I see something as I'm surfing then I'll bring it up on another forum. No matter how inaccurate my information, at least someone will know to look. Even if it only helps one they'll appreciate the information they got.

You don't realize how many times I've looked on a forum and someone is talking about, either an issue or a certain way of doing something on or around their 5er and its helped me.

One example; I've installed an inverter so I would have electricity for my creature comforts during our overnight truck stop layovers. While traveling from Florida to Maine, I don't want to start my generator at 6:00AM to use the microwave. Learned this install off a forum.

We're in this all together..........we're RVers!

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #6

THOR #565
No worries Dave, I figured out how to block you on the other sites so I don't have to listen to your spring lectures, and looks like you have your own kingdom on this one.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #7

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Cruiser 31RK
State: Minnesota
THOR #85
Redwood Info

Thanks for your feed back.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #8

Model: 38GK
THOR #779
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
SOME Redwoods, not ALL Redwoods. I count 5. Be accurate if you are going to be the Redwood Watchdog.

As an actual Redwood owner, I can tell you that I do not have a crack on my 2014, nor is your statement that the redesigned 2014 models are provided with the stress relief joint correction accurate. The change started during a certain manufacturing month in 2014 that has nothing to do with the redesigned nose and tail cap and graphics.

Accurate information can be obtained from those that have experienced the crack on the Redwood website redwoodowners.com.
I have a 2014 and don't have any cracks. Just 2300 miles on it so far
85# Shepard/Husky
Walther PPK .380
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #9

THOR #234
Friend of mine has a 2013 Redwood/Thor. Thor name is actually part of the logo with Redwood. It was manufactured in January of 2013. His is a 31SL (Side Living) unit. He doesn't have any cracks either. He's got around 2200 miles on it. Although, he is paying attention in the event of cracking. He's had his one year warranty check (if that's accurate Redwood jargon) and everything was perfect. In the year that he's owned it he's had virtually no issues. Unlike a lot of Redwood owners on the Redwood Owners forum.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 04-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #10

THOR #565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
In the year that he's owned it he's had virtually no issues. Unlike a lot of Redwood owners on the Redwood Owners forum.
A Lot? Hmmm, I'm on the same forum and I know of SOME issues the owners have had, but certainly not A LOT. I do read about A LOT of happy Redwood owners.

Perhaps it was the INFINITY Forum you were thinking of by mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Thor name is actually part of the logo with Redwood
Thor was actually part of my Montana logo, and hundreds of other units they own - so what exactly was the point you were trying to make?? Redwood is built by Crossroads now.

Copyright © 2014 Redwood RV, a Division of DS Corp, dba CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles. :: All Rights Reserved

Why do you insist on misleading people?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Crossroads is still a division of Thor.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #12

THOR #565
Yes they are, or we wouldn't be discussing it on this Forum, would we.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. Just because everyone's opinion doesn't agree with all the rest is no reason to be nasty, sarcastic, or to judgmental.
We don't need any rants started.

Now with that being said, I will say this again.
If you want to post here--play nice!!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #14

Model: 36FB
State: Florida
THOR #135
I have a early 2013 Redwood, no issues with cracks with over 4000 miles.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 AM   #15

Model: 37' fifthwheel
State: Connecticut
THOR #470
I have a 2014 Cross roads cruiser and I just noticed a crack in the outside lower left corner around the bedroom slide. I will contact Thor with hopes for a fix
Old 05-02-2016, 02:27 AM   #16

Model: 37' fifthwheel
State: Connecticut
THOR #470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy62 View Post
I have a 2014 Cross roads cruiser and I just noticed a crack in the outside lower left corner around the bedroom slide. I will contact Thor with hopes for a fix
Thor followed up with a email, telling me how to fix the crack and how to purchase a "H clip" aka a tiny piece of molding, no offer to send a free piece or a offer to fix it. Farewell Thor. Trading in for a Heartland product.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #17

Model: S.O.B.
State: Delaware
THOR #2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy62 View Post
Thor followed up with a email, telling me how to fix the crack and how to purchase a "H clip" aka a tiny piece of molding, no offer to send a free piece or a offer to fix it. Farewell Thor. Trading in for a Heartland product.
Just a question, isn't Heartland in with Thor now? I think so, but ran stand alone but still under the umbrella, just curios.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Just a question, isn't Heartland in with Thor now? I think so, but ran stand alone but still under the umbrella, just curios.
You are correct. Thor acquired Heartland RV in 2010. You can check out Thor's history of acquisitions here:

Thor Industries - About Thor - Our History

In fact if one were to look at the Brands and Products section of this forum's homepage they would see Heartland listed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #19

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
Quote:
Trading in for a Heartland product.
Good luck with that. We have had a Landmark for the last two years and I would guess they have spent all the profit they made on our unit back in warranty work on it. They do have a good warranty, I will give them that. We traded ours off Saturday and will pick our new unit up a week from today.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #20

Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11 View Post
Good luck with that. We have had a Landmark for the last two years and I would guess they have spent all the profit they made on our unit back in warranty work on it. They do have a good warranty, I will give them that. We traded ours off Saturday and will pick our new unit up a week from today.
Guess what? Thor owns DRV Mobil Suites also.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote