Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Redwood | Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
Redwoodrv-forum chatter

Over at the Redwoodrv-forum there's a lot of chatter about issues that they're experiencing how the Redwood reps and dealers are dragging they're feet on correcting issues. On the other hand, and on the same forum thread, others are boasting about having very few problems or getting great service. Some Redwood owners that are very satisfied and having no problems are oddly ditching their dealer and getting warranty work done at the factory where it was built, huh!
What I've learned about all manufacturers are that the crews (group of guys and/or women) that build these large units are just plain human. These crews are not robots. They are not 100% on their game every day. They are succeptable to all working conditions good or bad.
The people building them have good days, bad days, hangover days, days when they're looking to leave for the day. During the summer, heat can even be an issue on these crews. Let alone numerous personality issues.
These crews normally work on "piece work". They normally are not paid by the hour and they're not union workers. They're told to get a certain part of a camper done that day or within several days depending upon the segment or portion they're doing. They have deadlines to meet. They basically have to be professional slammers. Sometimes things go well and other times not so well. All Redwood purchasers (end users) would like to think that their "residential unit" was built slowly and maticulously. Same as anyone else that would order or purchase any brand.

Dutchmen Infinity units are in the same delemma, as well.

Note: I would have posted this on the Redwoodrv-forum, also. I am not a Redwood owner and must follow their forum rules.

Thank you,

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
The same thing is happening to their sister company Crossroads right now on their forum. Many unhappy owners posting and QC issues but some happy owners posting. This is not good PR for a company that is going to try and bring back Carriage but the management does not seem to care about stopping the bleeding.

And by the way, I am a member of the Redwood forum who has posted there in the past and we do not own one and never will.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

State: Alabama
THOR #5
I am a Redwood owner and belong to that forum as well. A few of the owners, myself included, have had problems with our units and fewer still have had poor service from their dealers. My personal experience has been all good with Redwood.
If I had a problem and there wasn't a Redwood or Crossroads dealer near me, they would either find anther shop or let me find one myself. They would then contact the shop to authorize the repair.
Two other times I had a minor issue, water heater t-stat and LP regulator leak, and Redwood let me do the repair myself and reimbursed me for the parts. No warranty issue for future repairs to the same part either.
I did stop by the factory repair shop to fix something I did...oops! They treated me like I was part owner in the company.
All in all, I have been very happy with Redwood's customer service and would not hesitate to buy another Redwood as long as their customer service stays the same.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
I know with crossroads some of the key for owners has been following up on things. Ie keeping up with the dealers or contacting crossroads directly to get things done. Frequent calls to my dealer resolved my slow service issue. Typically, but not always, the ones most upset hadn't done a lot of follow through on their own. It may be the same thing for redwood.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I believe that the dealers do have a lot to do with the bad service. They are quick to make that profit on the sale and than the bad one go way too cheap in the service department. In a lot of cases it starts with the service write many of whom could not get a job at a Saab dealership. That have no follow through. The parts department that should have a working relationship with all of the manufactures of the components have no clue on how to get in touch with those out fits. This in part should be the RV manufactures responsability All of those should be covered under their warranty and they should do the battle with the supplier. Than once more some of the Service managers have no clue on who to call at the plant for help. Some of the better dealers are you mom and pops because they know that their biggest profit center is the service department. These departments can make or break the next sale at the dealership
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #6

THOR #22
As with most online groups/forums, the folks that make the most noise are the ones who are dissatisfied with their rig and ownership experience. I have noted there are a few members on the RW forum that have had many negative experiences and are very vocal about them. As a current Redwood owner, and previously owning 3 Montana products, I have to say that the quality and value on my Redwood overall has exceeded my expectations. Have I had a few issues with my coach, yup. Most importantly is my dealership has gone out of their way both times I had to come in for adjustments or corrections. They have been outstanding - and I must also note that this same dealership also serviced my last Montana for the last five years I owned it. They also provided me the same exceptional service on my Montana as well. I still belong to the Montana Owners Club and continue to read many negative comments on quality control and the basic ownership experience. I overall was happy with all of my Montana's and had planned on purchasing a 2013 Big Sky. But after comparing the options and standards against the Redwood, I found that I got more features and options than what was being offered on the Montana/Big Sky at the time. When price came within $50 a month on payment, it became very clear to me which rig was going to be my next purchase. I guess I just got lucky and found a great dealership that has taken care of me the past 6.5 years!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: RL
State: Illinois
THOR #15
On the Redwood forum we have 3 people complaining about things that in most cases should have been fixed by the dealer. The old days of a simple box on wheels rolling down the road are over. Today's complex rvs have become more complicated and there's more to shake apart.

Being a Redwood RL owner and someone that has been in Rvs for well over 40 years, I'm thrilled with my Redwood. So far the factory has treated me very fairly and I will look at the new carrage when it comes out because who is making it.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #8

THOR #88
Quote:
I will look at the new carrage when it comes out because who is making it.
I certainly hope they (the management team) do better with Carriage this time than they did the first time around.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

THOR #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11 View Post
I certainly hope they (the management team) do better with Carriage this time than they did the first time around.
Since I'm an actual owner of a Redwood, I'm in position to say that they did a hell a good job on the Redwoods. So far I've towed my trailer well over 20,000 miles in all weather condition.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I wish you would wash and wax that combo once in awhile, at least before taking a picture.
I have to admit, you do have a nice looking setup.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #11

State: South Dakota
THOR #65
I'm not sure about what you mean about the management team doing better. Are you referring to the Carriage itself, or the downfall of the company. We had a Carriage Carri-lite 5 slide before we bought the Redwood. We were well satisfied with it. Our trading it for the Redwood had nothing to do with it's construction or quality, but for an accident that left me wondering if I was going to have structural problems down the road because of it. As to the company downfall, from what I was able to find out, it had a lot to do with their bank and finances. Their Finances were with National City, which was taken over by PNC. PNC had different parameters that Carriage could not meet. There was talk about them getting things worked out, but this never occurred.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #12

State: Indiana
THOR #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame View Post
I'm not sure about what you mean about the management team doing better. Are you referring to the Carriage itself, or the downfall of the company. We had a Carriage Carri-lite 5 slide before we bought the Redwood. We were well satisfied with it. Our trading it for the Redwood had nothing to do with it's construction or quality, but for an accident that left me wondering if I was going to have structural problems down the road because of it. As to the company downfall, from what I was able to find out, it had a lot to do with their bank and finances. Their Finances were with National City, which was taken over by PNC. PNC had different parameters that Carriage could not meet. There was talk about them getting things worked out, but this never occurred.
I certainly agree with your statement and understand financial timing.

Any and many different companies that were in the middle of investing or expanding in their companies had no idea that the bottom was going to fall out by the end of '08 and in to '09. There was no crystal ball that let everyone know that the economy was going to crumble.

As a business owner I know that financing is a huge part of expansions. Obviously, Carriage had financed a huge expansion. Timing is everything. They probably had enough cash on hand to get them into 2011 and with a different financial institution taking the helm was less than helpful. Thus, there goes another statistic.

So sad, My wife and I went intentionally went to the Camper Show in Tampa in 2012 to make a decision on a 5th wheel. We had looked at some painted 5ers in New Hampshire in 2011. We get to the show and Carriage has gone bankrupt. We actually thought we were going to be purchasing a Carriage that year.

We looked at every make that was at the show for three days. By the end of March 2012 we were taking delivery of our painted 3850RL.

We are anxious to look at the the "new Carriage" in January 2014.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #13

THOR #88
rcflame, I guess we will agree to disagree.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #14

THOR #26
Since I'm a redwood owner I totally disagree with dave. our redwood is a piece of crap. most expensive mistake we made. we are currently in litigation.

Lillyputz
Old 06-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #15

Model: 36RL
THOR #319
Lillyputz, glad to see you still alive and kicking (RW's). Why don't you just go trade it and get a Montana? Been trying to get back on the RW forum but it seems they shut it down so here I am. Hello everyone. Happy RVing.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #16

Model: 36 FL
State: British Columbia
THOR #306
Morning All - noted the RW Forum is closed, supposedly for maintenance, so thought I would check it out over here. Anybody have any ideas on the status of the RW Forum.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #17

THOR #15
Redwood Forum

The Redwood forum is down now but will be back up on Monday. They're reworking the forum to better fit the requests that had been given and there will be some new rules.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

Model: 36 FL
State: British Columbia
THOR #306
Brilliant - thanks Dave, appreciate the update.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #19

THOR #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I wish you would wash and wax that combo once in awhile, at least before taking a picture.
I have to admit, you do have a nice looking setup.
It's been a great rig but it does require some wax
Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #20

THOR #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Brilliant - thanks Dave, appreciate the update.

I've agreed to helps as one of the moderators on the forum when it's relaunched.