Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
sound proofing

Has any one done any type of sound proofing on a challenger to help with engine noise?
1 what did you use?
2 Did you only do the Dog House?
3 Did it help?

Thanks
Ted Tube
USMC 1/7

Old 01-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Oh yeah! I'm interested in this too. My Hurricane is older and needs repair/improvement in this area. We're home in FL for a month or two and now is the time to do it.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 01-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Oh yeah! I'm interested in this too. My Hurricane is older and needs repair/improvement in this area. We're home in FL for a month or two and now is the time to do it.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
I did some work to my older hurricane. I doubled the layer of aluminum clad insulation in the dog house. I used 3M high heat spray adhesive to attach the new stuff on top of the old one, and fastened everything back again with the original metal strips. I also taped all seems with 3M aluminum tape to make sure that there were no gaps.
I placed a 1" thick layer of foam rubber carpet underlay stuff on the floor area in the cockpit, and put new carpeting on top of it (I left the old carpeting and foam underneath the new stuff). I tied all lose wiring under the dash together with tie wraps, and also bundled the air conditioning pipes together, and filled all the empty spaces under the dash with bundled up pieces of foam rubber (really stuffed the materiel into all corners and voids).
I have now a pretty OK sound environment in the cockpit area that allows for OK conversations.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I've made a couple of sound improvements to my Miramar, I think the dash and doghouse are similar.

First was the doghouse, I removed it, four bolts holding it in place. I was surprised to find a thin piece of paper type foil under there as insulation. I removed that and cleaned the surface with an all purpose cleaner. Next I applied Dynamat 3/4 inch sound deadener to the doghouse and closed all edges and seams with Dynatape.

I noticed a big difference in the noise, it definitely made a difference. While having a new stereo inslatted I removed the dash and noticed how thin the dash cover was. I also discovered that the dash has a big open dead space in it. On the drivers side towards the windshield, there is a big hole, at least 3 inches in diameter for a wiring harness to go under the coach. That giant hole is a source for road noise and direct air flow while driving.

I plugged that hole with a spray foam insulation, the pest block type. Next I picked up some heat resistant foam insulation and lined it with a thinner sound deadening material and shoved it in the vast open cavernous dead space in the dash.

With everything put back together I've noticed a HUGE reduction in road noise while driving, plus I don't have to play the stereo as loud as I used to!

My next project when it warms up is to clean the wheel well area below the drivers compartment and apply Lizard Skin spray on insulation to the wheel well area. They have two products the first applied is a sound control followed by a ceramic insulation. It seems to be a pretty good product, I've talked to a couple of car restoration guys who swear by it.

I'm confident the spray on insulation will give me even more noise reduction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2666.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	3785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2665.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	3786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	3787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	3788  

Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
@Brianh442 - Great info and pictures, thanks for the details.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Dstankov has an excellent write up on sound proofing the engine cover which includes links on where to buy materials. Search: sound deadening Challenger for all the information, I can't make a link show up or I would post it.

The write up has great pictures and great tips along with results after completion!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...egin-1515.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
It is interesting to read and see, how Thor has cheapened down the sound insulation of the dog house. As a starter, my dog house cover consists of a rather heavy fiberglass structure, about 1/4 or more thick. This structure is covered on the inside (engine side) with aluminum foil encased fiberglass batting and glued to the the cover and additionally secured with two metal strips, screwed to the cover. I doubled this insulation and taped all seems with aluminum tape. The outside of the doghouse cover has a carped foam underlayment glued on, and is covered with carpeting. The edges of the doghouse covers have the described rubber piping applied to it. The doghouse cover is not screwed to the floor, but fastened with four rubber straps, like the ones used to hold the hood of offroad vehicles down. There is not metal connection between the doghouse cover and the floor of the motorhome.
The floor sections on the drivers and the passenger side consist of the steel floor pan that is covered with foam underlayment which in turn is covered with carpeting. I applied another about one inch thick foam underlayment on top of that carpeting and covered this with new carpet.
I don't know what my sound reduction in dB is, but I definitely can hear a difference in noise level.
I discovered that a lot of noise comes from under the dash, because nothing is bundled or held in place. Using a few tie-wraps made a remarkable difference in that area.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
how do i find his post
Old 01-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Click on the link above that Jamie posted, will take you straight to it.