Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
12v lights flicker thru out coach, no matter shore or generator

Just curious, sometimes my 12 v lighting will start flickering. Drives us nuts. Sometimes stops if switched to store while hooked to shore or generator running. I assume something getting ready to fail but don't need it to on the road!!!
Ideas??? Thx Dennis.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I been watching this tread waiting for some good answers. You have me thinking about it as well.

Maybe the battery connections? Or some other loose wire on the 12v system up to the fuse box? Check the connectons at the fuse panel.... many of mine were loose (AC side as well as DC side).

How old are your batteries?

Are the lights intermidiately flickering or is it consistent? Move around the battery connections (Pos and Neg) and see if that affect the flickering at all.

I will have to think about this one.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sounds like a ground somewhere...check the leads at and from the converter to the battery. Also, if you can see the back side of the 12V panel, check all those wires as well. It has to be in one of those three places...converter, fuse panel connections or the battery terminals.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
2nd vote for loose ground somewhere.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
2nd vote for loose ground somewhere.
Make that 3. Try this (it's a reach). A bad ground will show itself by 'disturbance'. Park the rig. Do what you do. Jump up and down or move enough - somewhat. If the lights flicker, start with Mr. Gritz and come back here.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

I think it could either be 'ground' related(loose or 'iffy' connection), or a/some battery cells failing... mine exhibited this behaviour recently when I went to turn on the inverter, or add a large load to it - the 12v lights would flicker...

my #4 6v House battery has two bad cells.

I tested my theory by using the AUX battery boost button WHILE turning on the Inverter, or adding a large load - no problems with the additional batteries.

I then removed the 'bad' battery, wired two of the good batteries in Series, to create a 12v battery bank, and then tested again by turning on the Inverter, then applying the fridge compressor, microwave, and even a vacuum ALL AT THE SAME TIME... the inverter stayed on, the 12v lights did not flicker.

bad battery, or cells. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
When you say flickering do you mean on and off or justing dimming and then back to full? Mine use to dim and bright, back and forth. I found it to be a loose fuse below the bed. I opened the 12 volt fuse panel and pressed firmly on all the fuses and discovered a couple weren't properly seated...problem solved.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Good to know this stuff. That way down the road I know what to look at first on my RV if im having simular problems.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #9

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
When you say flickering do you mean on and off or justing dimming and then back to full? Mine use to dim and bright, back and forth. I found it to be a loose fuse below the bed. I opened the 12 volt fuse panel and pressed firmly on all the fuses and discovered a couple weren't properly seated...problem solved.

The lights go dim and bright. Thx, Dennis.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #10

THOR #6181
Good places to start looking and checking. Thx everyone, Dennis.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Had this happen once and it turned out to be a corroded battery terminal that looked fine until it was removed.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #12

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
We have a similar problem on our Quantum WS31, though it's only two sets of the 12 V lights. The 12V lights over the Galley work just fine if they are the on except when we also turn on the lights over the dinette. Then both sets of lights will start to flicker after being on for a while. If we turn off the dinette lights the flickering on the Galley stops. 've looked for loose connections on either switch but find non issues. Any thoughts?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Maybe check the converter.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #14

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
battery power seems to be the issue, either overall low battery Voltage levels, a cell or cells within a battery having 'specific gravity' low readings, or a loose/corroded battery cable...

voltage can drop and cause flickering, etc., even when it seems sometimes that other things work fine - but add the additional load and it shows you that it's struggling.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #15

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
In our case, we replaced the Stock Converter with a Progressive unit, more positive charging. Also replaced the Stock Batteries with Trojans 4 months ago, properly watered and charged. Our flickering inly happens on these two lights in the MH. no matter what else is on. Seems somehow to be limited to these two circuits, so don't think overall voltage of battery terminal corrosion or tightness is the issue.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Then it must be a loose wire or a back light switch. Also check connection at the fuse box. My 12v POS was not very tight and several screw were loose that secure 12 v and 120 v wires.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #17

State: Oklahoma
THOR #12540
I’ve experienced that too

Check your converter, I had the same problem once and the RV Tech said that was classic converter symptoms, had it replaced and no problem since
Old 12-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Texas
THOR #12021
Having a simular problem in a freedom elite fe30, but only the 4 lights in the main living area -bath, hall, and bedroom lights all fine. All the fuses seem fine, so we are thinking it is a poor connection somewhere?
Old 12-29-2018, 01:23 AM   #19

State: Ontario
THOR #2111
If your lights flicker it usually means you have a poor connection somewhere. remember it takes very little voltage to turn on a LED lamp ( .7volts for a single LED element) so any slight imperfection and you get issues.
If you can get some antioxidant spray and apply it to ALL connections and then tighten the connections, you have a better chance.
If you have replaced your old incandescent lamps with new energy efficient LED lamps this is a classic case of what can happen.
Never change external lamps (markers lights, brake lamps or headlamps etc) with LEDs in old incandescent fixtures without applying antioxidant spray, if possible replace the entire fixture for a LED one.
This also applies to grounds connections too not just positive wires.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:24 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Texas
THOR #12021
After some troubleshooting, it seems we either have a cracked circuit board or maybe a cold solder joint on the circuit card that also holds the fuses. Any pressure or movement on the connection for the 12v lights on that board causes the lights to flicker. Also once we had the cover off we noticed the fan on the power converter also was not running when the lights flickered. Cancelled another trip in the RV... we are still under an alleged warranty, but trying to get work done under warranty is next to impossible! Hopefully we can repair it ourselves.