Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
For all you Thor complainers.

I'm sitting in my little 2018 29M at the KOA in Yemassee SC (that's how it looks next to the 40 foot Pace Arrow lxe) sitting next to me. He has an extension cord running through a window because he has no power to any of his ac outlets, no air and living off his batteries. He has been stranded here for the last few days waiting for a replacement inverter. I lent him another power cord to run more things. He also informed me his one year old motorhome spent two months in the shop last year. So stop bad mouthing our Thor's because all manufacturers have there issues.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I'm sitting in my little 2018 29M at the KOA in Yemassee SC (that's how it looks next to the 40 foot Pace Arrow lxe) sitting next to me. He has an extension cord running through a window because he has no power to any of his ac outlets, no air and living off his batteries. He has been stranded here for the last few days waiting for a replacement inverter. I lent him another power cord to run more things. He also informed me his one year old motorhome spent two months in the shop last year. So stop bad mouthing our Thor's because all manufacturers have there issues.
LOL well just because someone else has problems doesn't make Thor's any better...I say gripe away
Old 06-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds like an Inverter issue, not a manufacturer's....
Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
sounds like an Inverter issue, not a manufacturer's....

Manufactures should bear some responsibility for the components they use in a build.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I’ve been RVing for a long time and have yet to come across a manufacturer that doesn’t have problems. Tiffen, Winnebago, you name one and I can bet that there will be many owners complaining about problems, Thor is not the only company with manufacturing defects!!! A couple of years ago I was parked next to a $900,000 MH who was stranded because the slides wouldn’t retract and they only had one working AC, and it was hot! Nobody from the factory was responding to their repeated phone calls! Thor has a good customer help line and someone will actually call you back to help!!!

This is my second Thor and it has only had a couple of minor problems, same as my last one. If you want to complain about problems you’re having I understand, but Thor is not alone in the poor workmanship department!!!
Old 06-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
I agree! All manufacturers have problems. Just pointing out manufacturers have some responsibility for the components they use. Also definitely agree the bashing manufacturers does no good.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I agree times two!
Even with the few (VERY few...) mechanical skills that I have: it can be pretty satisfying to solve a problem!

Once: in a very great while!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:39 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
I think I, as well as others that are having ridiculous Quality Control Issues, have earned the right to "COMPLAIN" ! IF you haven't experienced any of these situations, count yourself fortunate ! I'm well aware other Manufacturers have Problems, as this is our 3rd Manufacturer.
The dealership we purchased our Pre-owned "Thor" from, is a major Newmar Dealer, and the Service Campground there is full of High End Newmars, waiting for Warranty work, and the same ridiculous Quality Control Issues that plague our Thor's!
So, I respectfully reserve the right to COMPLAIN ! [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-28-2018, 03:19 AM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
When will a manufacture of motor homes make the necessary move to relocate from Elkhart Indiana? I have read articles about the lack of qualified workers because there is just too much competition for them. It just seems logical to find a city that has qualified dedicated workers and move or at least set up a second manufacturing city. This has to be part of the quality issues? I know from talking with Tiffan owners they have issues but not to the extreme of manufactures in Indiana. Just my rant for the day
Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Your Challenger wasn't made in Elkhart. It was made in the old Monaco Diesel factory in Wakarusa (Thor plant 850), just 6 miles north of Nappanee where the Newmar Corp is located. By the way, 13 miles west is the home of Jayco and Enterga at Middlebury. Thor Industries doesn't build a motor coach over 35 ft in Elkhart.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:57 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I think they are where they are do to suppliers. Back in the 80's I went through Elkhart and it was wall to wall Van conversion factories. The work force has been doing that work for generations. The suppliers and raw materials are easily obtained there. I would think moving away from that area could cost them dearly and it would be transferred to the consumers pockets.

Maybe the sales lots should be held more accountable for proper service. Then they may demand a better product from the manufacturer. States legislators could help a little by passing a bill that extends warranties an equal time that a unit sits waiting for repairs. Think this would speed up parts deliveries?

Back in the mid 70's our first new TT ( RoadRunner) had a couple issues and within the week two service men came to my house and did the repairs and were gone. Never had another problem with it.

For the good news. Our Gemini is fueled up, propaned up and on the launch pad ready for our 20 day tour of the Rockies stating next week.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
IMHO...if there's a one year old coach on the "used lot"...I would beware. Especially if it's not a Thor dealer.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 06-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
I think I, as well as others that are having ridiculous Quality Control Issues, have earned the right to "COMPLAIN" !...
...So, I respectfully reserve the right to COMPLAIN ! [emoji6]
]
And you are completely within your rights to do so!
But if you're not also at least trying to find solutions to the problems: it's a lot like sitting in a rocking chair...
It's something to do; but it accomplishes nothing...
Old 06-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Your Challenger wasn't made in Elkhart. It was made in the old Monaco Diesel factory in Wakarusa (Thor plant 850), just 6 miles north of Nappanee where the Newmar Corp is located. By the way, 13 miles west is the home of Jayco and Enterga at Middlebury. Thor Industries doesn't build a motor coach over 35 ft in Elkhart.

Curious if you know where Miramars are built. I have a '37 Miramar.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
We had a 750k+ 2015 Prevost across from us at Fort Wilderness with a mobile tech fixing a slide issue. It happens to all of them, but that doesn't let Thor, or any other manufacturer, off the hook for some really bad workmanship. I still think they don't see the forest because of the trees. If put in a little more time building these things right the first time, they wouldn't have half the issues they have in trying to build them fast.

They need to stick to the shooter's motto "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" .

They'd be much farther ahead that way. [emoji879]️

Sent from my XT1650 using Thor RV Forum mobile app

<'))))>(
Old 06-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #16

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I think they are where they are do to suppliers. Back in the 80's I went through Elkhart and it was wall to wall Van conversion factories. The work force has been doing that work for generations. The suppliers and raw materials are easily obtained there. I would think moving away from that area could cost them dearly and it would be transferred to the consumers pockets.

Maybe the sales lots should be held more accountable for proper service. Then they may demand a better product from the manufacturer. States legislators could help a little by passing a bill that extends warranties an equal time that a unit sits waiting for repairs. Think this would speed up parts deliveries?

Back in the mid 70's our first new TT ( RoadRunner) had a couple issues and within the week two service men came to my house and did the repairs and were gone. Never had another problem with it.

For the good news. Our Gemini is fueled up, propaned up and on the launch pad ready for our 20 day tour of the Rockies stating next week.

have a fun safe trip,we love our unit
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 06-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #17

State: Massachusetts
THOR #1523
THOR Serano 2012

has anyone else had a problem with water rotting out the subfloor by the front of the drivers side slide. and material comeing off the couch??
Old 06-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Sorry to see that your first post in here has to be about a problem...

But Welcome aboard, and I hope that your problem can be easily fixed!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:24 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
And you are completely within your rights to do so!
But if you're not also at least trying to find solutions to the problems: it's a lot like sitting in a rocking chair...
It's something to do; but it accomplishes nothing...
You AGAIN ! TROLL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #20

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Feel free to suck up to Thor all you want but unless they one day settle with my issues I will continue to bad mouth Thor indefinitely! #ThorLacksIntegrity $1.7 million in lost sales and counting.