Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Columbus 295
State: Arkansas
THOR #357
1995 Thor Columbus 295 help

I have just purchased a 1995 Thor Columbus 295 motor home. There are no manuals with it so setting it up and getting things on line have been difficult. I would like to get a manual but this was built but Thor West and they are no longer in business. But in the mean time I need some help getting the hot water heater started and even help with the stove/oven.
I have contacted Thor but they have no help for me. So any help with these issues would be great.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
John, first off, how familiar are you with RVs? I don't mean that in a negative way, I just want to know how detailed I have to be with any info.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

THOR #357
I am pretty much old school. I can look thru repair manuals and figure out what I need to do by what is in front of my hands. In fact I like to have the knowledge of how to fix or how to operate as it gives me the power to do it myself or seek a professional and speak to them at a level that does not embarass myself with.

So you jump on in and if it gets too deep for me I am more than willing to ask for a life jacket but I will be in there for the most part. I used to design weapons as a contractor so I do have some skills. how that equates to an RV I am not sure but together we can figure out what I need to do.

But the last question still remains, is there a way to find an owners manual. I know that I had an old K5 that i rebuilt a few times and was able to go to the house that produced the books to get the shop manuals etc. for it. is that the case here or are they a lost cause.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Well if you have contacted Thor and they couldn't help you with any owner manual, I would suggest doing some searching with Google. You might come up with something there. In my experience, owners manuals are pretty generic. Really not what people expect them to be.

OK- Have you used the MH at all yet?
Do you have LP in the bottles? Make sure you have opened the valves on the LP bottles. Have you opened the valves on the stove and tried lighting the burners? If not that would be the first thing to do. That will bleed the air out of the lines so the other appliances will light easier.
Does your water heater have a switch inside the coach that you turn on to light it, or is it one that you have to light outside in the compartment? Make sure its full of water before lighting. If the switch is inside, there should be one for gas and one for electric.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

THOR #357
This is my first experience with a MH. We have been going around checking on things and tonight happens to be the turn the tank on and try to light the stove.
It has a large dial on the right that notes burner and pilot. I have to assume the pilot is for the oven. But as to where the pilot is located I have yet to discover that yet.
I am not even sure where the hot water heater is located I cannot see a logical location inside so the search will go outside this holiday weekend.
On top of the refrig. there is a switch that says elect. auto and gas. i can only assume that is for the refrig only. so if there is another switch someplace i do not know where that would be.
I show 2/3 full on the propane so I head into that tonight. Will post more tomorrow as I make more discoveries.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
ok. lets address one thing at a time.

The stove... the burners are turned on and use a match to light. if there is air in the line you may need to bleed it until you have propane. The pilot is for the oven. Mine is a newer model but I'm assuming the same for you. my pilot is in the oven. open the door and under the rack towards the bottom is where you see sort of a burner. At the far back of the oven is an opening where propane comes out. You have to push the knob in, turn the hande to light and use a long match or long lighter to light it. It takes a minute or two.

The fridge- yes there is auto, gas and possibly electric. mine has auto or gas option but same concept. The gas button. it operates on only gas, same for electric. Auto is what I leave mine on. it will automatically switch between gas and electric. meaning if plugged into electric it will run on electric, if not plugged in then it runs on battery and propane. since you ave all 3 options you can test to see what works.

The water heater- To find the location go walk around the outside and look for a large vent looking panel. (there will be one for water heater and one for fridge). Open it up, the water heater will have an overflow check valve and a drain plug. Screw the drain plug in (with age of yours you will want to check anode as well). I suggest wrapping drain plug threads with plumbers tape to help with the seal. now go back inside and look about where you saw the vent outside. You are looking for a wooden panel screwed closed probably close to the floor. Open that up and check to see if heater is on bypass (this is done during winterization). if on bypass turn handles so water can fill tank. Now if not certain whether tank is filling you can go back to overflow valve and flip it to drain some water. this tells you if water is in tank. Now you need to find the hot water heater switch inside. Not sure if you have gas, or gas/electric. I only use gas on mine for rapid heat. I use electric rest of time. I keep it turned off going down the road. never turn water heater on if no water in tank.

Also, not sure if you have done this yet but I would sanitize your water system.... we can teach you that too if needed. As Lloyd said, manuals are pretty sparse and that is even on my 2011. I get more info from websites than I do manuals. The manuals are more specific to the item. ie dometic makes their own manuals. look at fridge, AC, stove and radio brands and go ask them for manuals. Good luck.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #7

THOR #357
In my early years after school and the Marines and a not so friendly war as we have today I came home and crowds and noisy places just did not fit so I went to Montana where I worked as a guide in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. The ranch I worked for needed someone to watch their camps to keep prediator animals out so I lived in the Wilderness by my self. So after getting married I had a wife that loved to camp but after we had kids they were not as thrilled about the dirt, bugs and sun as we were so I am ready to retire and we are back at it again. My wife calls the bus her zen place and loves to go out after we get home from work and just sit so the fantastic help we are getting is going to improve upon that zen zone even more.

The help is fantastic and even though I have yet to begin to apply these tips I am exicted that I can and successful or not it is great to see or read people that have helped me so much. Have a great 4th, we have a great country that despite our government has great people, people such as you two. Thanks again and I will be back again from time to time and will tell a story or two and maybe make someone smile a bit. Be safe and again thanks, Grizzz.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Thank you for your service. Have a wonderful 4th of July.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

State: Idaho
THOR #385
Hi,

I have MOST of the manuals -- I can make you copies if you are still having trouble finding these... you will still need to find that darn fuse as they are not documented very well. On mine: some are in the panel above the bed...But not the refridge. The refidge runs off the motor battery -- so it is either one of the fuses on the right side of firewall. OR even worse -- most of the motor fuses are inside the speedometer -- yes - pull the screws on the glass - they are right on top -- very stupid.

Cheers,
ColumbusMonty
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #10

Model: 295
State: Alberta
THOR #409
Grizzz

I just purchased a 1995 Thor Columbus 295 motorhome and have been able to figure out quite a few things on my own. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help out.

Black Russian
Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #6297
Hello!
Wondering if you had the owner manual for a 1995 Columbus and were still willing to make a copy?
Blessings!
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Deb

State: Alberta
THOR #12207
Hello,
Do you still have these manuals? I have been searching everywhere!

Thanks much,
Deb