Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter 24ST
State: Arkansas
THOR #1828
Citation Window Screens

Getting quite frustrated... screens don't seem to want to cooperate. Trying to install but clips won't cooperate... some keep falling out. When I think I've got it and feel last clip snap into place, it pops out as soon as I let go.

Any suggestions to modify/replace clips or the screens themselves with something that works easier (or works at all) will be much appreciated.

JasonV
2015 Citation 24ST

Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I assume it is the same clips we have on our ACE. Try putting a dab of vasoline or a drop of oil on each clip and it should help it snap in place easier.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

Model: Citation Sprinter 24ST
State: Arkansas
THOR #1828
Pics of screen frame and clips

Concerned about adding vasoline or oil. Problem is not getting things to snap into place. Actually the opposite... once snapped in, it pops back out as soon as I let go.

I've uploaded some jpg files... pictures worth a 1000 words.

Showing 2 pics. One of screen frame corner with 2 clips inserted in frame. Second pic basically the same but with clips removed.

Frame slot for one of the clips appears "mashed in". Clip seats further from surface of window frame. Probably why this clip doesn't engage properly. Can try bending perimeter of this frame opening/slot back out. Concerned this may weaken metal in this area and cause further problems.

(Purchased this 2015 RV used. Appears previous owner had trouble with this part of screen.)

Perhaps pics can help identify whether these screens and mounting clips look similar to what other folks have???

Thanks for any help/insights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Screen w:clips.jpg
Views:	1513
Size:	975.8 KB
ID:	365   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Screen w:o clips.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	911.4 KB
ID:	366  

Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Sounds like your remaining solution is new screens or find a different way to attach the screen. Lets face it once the screen is in place you seldom need to remove except to clean window.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Yea, I am thinking you are not getting good mechanical contact with the bent over clip. Others have found replacement clips, but you also are going to need to fix the bent slot.

I would not try to bend the frame itself, you will likely make it worse. If you can fashion a small tool out of a piece of metal with a "back hook" in it, or perhaps buy a small hook-and-pick tool set like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6943-Pr...&keywords=pick

I would try and buy a set like this at your local hardware store rather than on-line, as you want to make sure they are small enough to do the job - and you can't tell that from a photo. Even a screwdriver with a bent tip would probably work - anything you can use to get the tip under the bent slot.

Anyway, if you can obtain such a set, perhaps you can put one of the hooks into the slot and pull out to straighten it; or maybe tap the front lightly with a small hammer while holding the backside with one of the hooks.

You know, even one of those small bent nose needle nose pliers might even work. I've had one for years in my tool box, and it has had no realistic purpose. Perhaps one of those might work - if you can find one small enough.

What would really probably work is if you could cut a slot into a small piece of metal, with the slot thickness just larger than the metal thickness. Perhaps you could take a Phillips screwdriver, cut the end off, then cut a slot half-way through it. Like this:

You could then insert the slot of your "tool" into the square hole working around the perimeter, bend it straight again. Kind of like a micro pry-bar.

But by the time you fix the slot (which is not 100% assured) and buy new clips, it might not be any more expensive to buy a new screen.

However, this seems to be a chronic problem with these things, so the tool might be a good investment for future repairs.