Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
2016 hurricane tv issue

We connected RV park tv digital cable to the coach tv coaxial hookup and can not receive cable. Auto search mode does not "see" cable. Can not find video switch box anywhere. Customer service not open. - another problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
Is the power booster light on for over the air channels? If so turn it off. That may be the problem.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
If the above post doesn't help, read this:

If you have a Seiki TV, use the forums search for "Seiki". you will find several threads dealing with this problem. Thor has put Seiki TV's in new motorhomes that will receive over the air digital TV just fine, but not certain formats of digital cable.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I about this problem will show up here. Other wise read those threads that come up on the search.

One of the solutions is to buy a converter box. I found one cheap on amazon, but have not found the situation to test it.

Ken
Old 08-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

THOR #4991
Thanks ken
I found the same information via a handout the park manager hands out to users with our problem.
The over riding concern is the location of the vidio switch box which supposedly is part of the solution or problem. We cannot find the box anywhere. I am not sure our coach is properly wired. I cannot find the internal coaxial anywhere. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I was at a campground this weekend where 2 of my televisions (non Seiki) worked fine however the Seiki in the bedroom would not pick up channels. Now in defense of the television it took two attempts at connecting the cable at the post (one connection did not work) before the Sharp and outdoor TV would scan channels. I did not try scanning the bedroom a second time. On the channel guide provided by the campground they mentioned folks were having issues with televisions and they had converter boxes at the office for check out.

When I completed the scan both of the televisions picked up quite a few channels twice, one time as analog and then one click up as digital.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #6

THOR #4991
Thanks. We reconnected the coaxial several times. I' think we will have to wait until customer service is open. We have not found any manuals provided by Thor to be helpful at all.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:54 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtara View Post
Thanks ken
I found the same information via a handout the park manager hands out to users with our problem.
The over riding concern is the location of the vidio switch box which supposedly is part of the solution or problem. We cannot find the box anywhere. I am not sure our coach is properly wired. I cannot find the internal coaxial anywhere. Thanks.
I've heard the term video switch box mentioned before. It was also in the context of someone looking for one. The only thing in our motorhome that could be called a video switch is the circuitry on the back of the plate that has the above mentioned switch and green light.

In our moho that plate has a two TV set splitter and a in or out of circuit switch for the preamp.

Our motorhome is however not as complex as some of the bigger models. I would recommend trying the convertor box the campground says they have.

The box I bought on Amazon is actually a very small TV receiver that outputs the video and audio in HDMI format that is plugged into one of the TV HDMI inputs.

Ken

P.S. I believe the end of the cable to the outside cable TV socket is on the back of that plate I mentioned above.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 AM   #8

THOR #4991
Thanks.
I think our equivalent to your plate is our video switch box which is nowhere. I cannot find the end of the coaxial cable anywhere.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:10 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The issue is the Seiki TVs do not have QAM tuners and they cannot decode the cable system's signals. More than likely that is why two of my three televisions had no problems and since the one in the bedroom is a Seiki it could not decode the QAM signal.

I will tell you the problem is not just a Thor issue. While i was waiting to rent a golf cart the front desk sent out about a dozen cable converters. The young lady at the front desk told me they have 25 boxes they can issue and on the weekends most of them go out on a first come first served basis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:45 AM   #10

THOR #4991
They do the same here. The specs on our Seiki tv states it is analog and digital. I think the problem is the wiring. The only input to the tv is the roof antenna. The is no HDMI cable although the "simplified" diagram in the owners manual calls for a connection from the mysterious video switch box. Before I go to the trouble to put in a converter I want to make sure the wiring is correct. The converter would connect to the mysterious coxial cable.