Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #3453
2011 Tuscany Wiper Issue

I bought our Tuscany new in May 2011 and in October began having wiper issues where if I turned the wipers on low or high they would fail in mid stroke. As you can imagine, running down the interstate in a pouring rain and having your wipers fail can be a scary thing. Thor fixed this issue three times and assured me each time that the problem was fixed. Since the last time, I have kept rain-x on my windshield, and avoided using my wipers whenever possible. When I have, I have used them on the intermitted mode, and don't seem to have any issue. Almost all my trips are within an hour and a half from home since I am still working.

Last night I was coming home from a long trip and had my wipers on for several hours on the intermittent mode. It was after dark and a lot of truck traffic on the interstate. We hit some pretty good rain, so I had to turn them on low and within 15 minutes they failed again. I was told the last time by Thor that they had replaced the fuse block with a self resetting circuit breaker and if they ever stopped again, once they cooled down they would work again. We set on the side of the interstate for over an hour waiting for the rain to pass because they never worked again.

I saw there was a recall for this issue for 2010-2012 Tuscany's where they would replace the 10amp fuse block with a 15amp block, but Thor says my unit isn't included. Go figure...we have had this issue since day one. They cannot tell me where the fuse is located, and I cannot find any fuse labeled wipers except the relays. All they can tell me is the fuse is in the compartment under the driver's seat.

I obviously need to try to figure this out, since Thor will not help me. Anyone know where that fuse is, so I can check it? We love our coach, but I am afraid this will be the last Thor product we own. This is the only issue I have asked for Thor's help on. I have had other issues, but took care of them since they occurred after the warranty period. Our wiper issue has been going on since we bought this coach and they won't stand behind their product.

Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this, we would really appreciate it. Very dangerous to not be able to count on your wipers in the rain.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #3453
So, I found the fuse and it was blown. Had a 15amp fuse in there and the wipers went right to the stowed position when I replaced it. So, the question is, since all the motors have been replaced in the past and it still blows the fuse, is it really dangerous to put a higher rated fuse in there. I think the next higher is a 20amp. Since the wipers are not used that often, is it really dangerous? More dangerous than having them stop working in the rain going down the interstate at 60? I guess I could turn them on and put a meter between the motors and fuse and see how many amps they are really pulling. I just wish I could get these fixed. Seeing as this is the fourth time I am losing confidence.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Brand: Keystone
State: New Jersey
THOR #3476
1st I would check the normal running amps of the motors- should be stamped on the motor.
2nd- measure the wire length to the battery or major power distribution.
3rd- look at the wire size ( gauge of the wire)

last look at this chart-
Wire Gauge Amps Ratings for 12 volt Automotive Systems

the fuse could blow from- too small for load-
- wire to long for load.
wire to small for load.

if the wire size is ok for 20 amp at the lenth you have you would be ok to go bigger- but you do not want to put a bigger fuse in and melt the wire or start a fire.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:13 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #9881
Would like to connect to ask electrical question

Hi I see in this post that you own a 2011 Tuscany? I just bought a used 2012 and love the coach but am having a weird electrical issue and was hoping I could ask you just a few questions as to how your panel inside the entry door functions? Knowing how a switch works in your rig will help me trouble shoot the issue I'm having. I would REALLY appreciate it. Thank you!

Geno Riley
New River, AZ
geno.r.riley@gmail.com