Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Vermont
THOR #386
New Chateau24c issues FWIW

I had posted an earlier thread about some questions I had regarding the operation of some of the devices in our new Rv. Thanks to those for their input. I have been off the site for some time dealing with what one might say is a more pressing issue. I think we are at the end of this saga so I am reporting this information as a "heads up" for those that may face the same issues.
On our trip home from St. Louis we observed that the Rv was pulling to the right and there also seemed to be a slight vibration that was telelgraphing up the steering column. We took the unit into the Ford dealer in a distant town and had them inspect the Rv. They felt that the front wheel bearings were loose (?) and pulled them under warranty and repacked them, then reinstalled them per spec. Sent me on my way to drive it for a bit to ascertain if this fixed the issue.
Still pulled to the right and the vibration seemed to be getting worse. I pulled the front tires and switched them from side to side to see if it was a radial tire pull but to no avail. Still pulls to the right. Back to Ford.
This time they put it on the alignment rack and informed me that it was out of alignment and it would not be covered under warranty with Ford since the chassis was modified (stretched 11 inches). Paid them $130 for an alignment. Thor says they do not touch the alignment, only check the toe when it leaves the factory. Finger now points to Ford and Ford is not buying it so we ended up paying with no recourse. However, it is driving straight and no more pulling so we are pleased at that.
Now to the vibration.....Ford charged us $123 to determine that it appeared to be the drive line that was causing the vibration. Thor referred us to the company that stretches the frame and who extended the front shaft, Mor Ryde. They said it was a balance issue and to take the drive line to a drive line company which in our case is over 50 miles away. We removed the driveline and took it to this company who then balanced the entire assembly. The front shaft was way out of balance and when fitted together it caused the entire unit to vibrate. Reinstalled the drive line and we still had a slight vibration albeit much better than before. After measuring the driveline angles and referring to the Spicer web site tech writing I felt the front shaft was not at the proper angle with the rear end so I had to fab up a 1/4 inch spacer for the center bearing in the shop and installed that which I am happy to announce has fixed the problem. Thor has asked me to send my invoices for all of the work to Mor Ryde which I have. We are waiting patiently for reimbursement.
So if any of you new RV owners are faced with similar issues I hope this info will be helpful. It was at times like pulling teeth to get some answers regarding this issue all of which took over three weeks to resolve. Mor Ryde was IMHO very slow to respond.
We are now leaving for a 8000 mile trip out west. We have our fingers crossed that we do not find more issues as we go along.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
wogden
You are having a lot of issues with a new rig. I hope they have got everything figured out for you.
Have a safe, enjoyable trip, and hopefully a trouble free one.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #3

THOR #386
Thanks Lloyd! Just caught up with the "slide issue" reported in an other thread. The 24c has a large side slide and, of course, it is from Shwintek! I am keeping my eye on it for sure. Will cut some 2x4's today to keep on hand just in case it fails and I have to brace it from sliding out when the motor is taken out of service. I have already bought a 3 step to get up to reach the motor area to remove the locking bolt for the motor. Learning to think ahead with this new RV!! Sad, but perhaps necessary.
Walt
Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Model: Astoria 36MQ
State: New Jersey
THOR #434
Thor claimed that the front end was aligned on my unit also. Upon the initial test drive, if you let go of the wheel, I'm certain the coach would make a u-turn.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #5

THOR #386
update on the issues:

This coach is wearing me down! We have just left KY and while there had a very old truck shop look at the drive line. They say it appears right but is close to the tolerance issue and may be I should add yet another spacer. They could not because they were booked for work. Took it for a ride with their senior tech and came to the conclusion that the tires that were just replaced are shaking in the rear. Went to a Michelin dealer and after five hours they determined that the road force on five units were way over the tolerance level. Michelin has now replaced these rib tires a second time! Still got a drive line vibration so I guess when I get to CA I will have my son fab up another spacer to see if it helps.

Rained last night and woke up to water on the floor! Seems it is getting in thru the exhaust vent for the furnace. Don't know how to fix that!

In AR the co2 alarm went off and we could not silence it. So here we go again. Thor had us go back to Memphis to a dealer and they could not find anything wrong so they powered it down and reset the unit, then sent us on our way.

Now it appears to be my turn in the "slide barrel". I have noticed that the slide seems to be coming out but only in the front. It is out the full width of the gasket about a 1/2-3/4 inch. If you run it in it will move back out when driven down the road. Tonight we put the slide out and noticed that there are marks on the side from wehre is is rubbing on the body. My only conclusion is that the slide is not centered in the opening. It does make a lot of noise as it rubs back and forth as we drive the rv. Can't deal with this now so I will wait till we are in SanJose for a couple of weeks to see if a Thor dealer can offer some advice. For now I am going to insert the wooden 2x4 braces I made to hold the slide in when the motors go as per the manufactureres instructions.
I am geting grayer hair worrying about this new rig!!!