Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Axis Vegas Recall

In the Family Motor Coaching Magazine that I received in the mail today

Report Receipt Date: AUG 19, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V530000
Component(s): VISIBILITY

Manufacturer: Thor Motor Coach

SUMMARY:

Thor Motor Coach (TMC) is recalling certain model year 2016 Axis and Vegas recreational vehicles manufactured March 26, 2015, to July 6, 2015. In the affected vehicles, the heating, ventilation and air conditioning control may lock on one setting, preventing the operator from changing the air flow, thereby eliminating the ability to defrost the windshield.
CONSEQUENCE:

If the windshield cannot be defrosted, the driver's visibility may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:

TMC has notified owners, and dealers will install a jumper harness to prevent the condition, free of charge. The recall began on September 1, 2015. Owners may contact TMC customer service at 1-877-500-1020. TMC's number for this recall is RC000103.
NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dave,

When I received my recall I reported on a similiar recall earlier on this site (looks like the same one, just more Zeros on the one posted in the magazine). The one I got was Savety Recall 15V-530, Safety Advisory: RC000103 dated September 01, 2015.

As posted elsewhere on this Forum I had my Vegas in for warranty work and they fixed the AC/Heater problem...I even got a copy (and pictures) of the Recall Repair Instructions for the 15V-530 recall.

FYI: To do so they go in from the top of the dash removing the cover located forward of the plastic cover of the instrument cluster (2 big plastic screws), locate a 2-position connector (with a 10 ga red and 14 ga red wires) and change out a jumper that has a set of two plugs on each end (part no.0338838: Axis Heater Control Vent Selection).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
When I saw the notice in the Recall Corner of Family Motor Coaching Magazine I wasn't sure if it was the same one. Being on the side of "rather be safe than sorry" I went ahead and pulled down the recall and entered the post in its own thread.

When I think back to recalls I remember my Dometic awning on my Sunseeker and how it deployed on me at 55MPH on I95 and recall how there was no notification from Forest River or on the Forest River forum about that recall. My Class C was out of commission for a couple of months due to that recall. After that experience, I'd rather be told 4 or 5 times than not at all.

I will give kudos to Thor, at least they try to notify their owners about recalls.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dave,

The awning deployed at 55mph, wow I bet that was an eye-opener.

I keep seeing that scene out of some goofy movie where the passenger of a Mustang Convertible decides to put the top down at 55mph!!!

Yep, when it come to safety issues...the more postings the better!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Yep, 55 MPH on I95.

Talk about a handling issue. Try dodging cars, trucks and signs with an open awning at 55 MPH. Two things worked in my favor

First, the awning fabric only lasted about a minute or two before being ripped from the top rail of the coach.

Second, I was returning from a 4th of July trip and the next exit 1/2 mile away was my intended exit. I was able to exit and remove the awning roller from the arms and make it 6 miles home (over back roads). The hard part was trying to get a 16 foot awning roller inside a Class C motorhome. It just doesn't fit.

Dometic was great about doing the repairs after I found out about the recall and gave them a call. The dealer had all the parts before they could get me in for the replacement and body work.
FMCA - F432054