Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
2015 Challenger 37ND

Hello,

We take delivery of a 2015 Challenger 37ND next week and I was curious if anyone has some suggestions on specific items to check for during the pre-delivery inspection? I would be curious as to what other Challenger owners found during their PDI.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Check everything you would never dream of checking - they will have so many things hidden from you from factory that you will be appalled in a few months when they become apparent! I have a Hurricane but Thor is Thor!

They will have extra trim up to hide errors in cutting and wax pencil to hide scrapes and gouges in walls. This is stuff I did not notice when I walked through mine in October, but wish I would have.

It is hard to be so distrusting and skeptical when you are so excited about picking up a new coach, but you have to. Look for uniformity in trim! For example, they had a piece of trim on one side of the bunk bed wall but not the other - which I did not notice till it fell off a month later. It was hiding a large 1 inch gap where the slide wall and ceiling meet! I just fixed this myself as best I could, but as you can see in the pictures, the wood was cut so far off measurement, I will have to reuse their trim to hide it.

I think it is great that Thor allows people with disabilities to work at their factories, I just worry the blind people will be injured while cutting someday! Sure hope they are being careful!

Be skeptical!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk gap 2.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	181

Name:	bunk gap 3.jpeg
Views:	318
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	182

Name:	bunk gap one fixed.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	183
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
Thanks for the info. We already caught a few things and brought them to the dealers attention. We'll see if they are fixed before the PDI.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
PDI went relatively well. Found a few minor issues which were corrected on the spot and then a couple of issues after getting the unit home. I have not tried out all of the plumbing mechanicals as yet due to the sub-freezing temps but I'll get to them as soon as the temps rise.

What we found is:

Clearance light that is not working
One kitchen drawer latch, although it catches, it does not hold the drawer closed when going through road curves at speed
One bedroom cabinet has a piece of 1/8 inch veneer for finishing where one corner is not fixed in place
One slide seal has the bottom edge coming loose and needs to be resealed
Only one barrel key for the front clip
Only one key for the outside television compartment

The one thing that amazes me, and I see on the forum where others have the same issue, is why Thor could not label switches for slides and lights. Three light switched in the cabinet above the door and none are labeled as well as three slide switches on the control panel and none of them are labeled.

I hope to take it out for the shake down trip in the next week or two.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Our new A. C. E. has two keys for the outside hatches which include the TV compartment. I checked and the hatch key from our 1994 TT also works fine for all the locks. Jim.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Virginia
THOR #1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
PDI went relatively well. Found a few minor issues which were corrected on the spot and then a couple of issues after getting the unit home. I have not tried out all of the plumbing mechanicals as yet due to the sub-freezing temps but I'll get to them as soon as the temps rise.

What we found is:

Clearance light that is not working
One kitchen drawer latch, although it catches, it does not hold the drawer closed when going through road curves at speed
One bedroom cabinet has a piece of 1/8 inch veneer for finishing where one corner is not fixed in place
One slide seal has the bottom edge coming loose and needs to be resealed
Only one barrel key for the front clip
Only one key for the outside television compartment

The one thing that amazes me, and I see on the forum where others have the same issue, is why Thor could not label switches for slides and lights. Three light switched in the cabinet above the door and none are labeled as well as three slide switches on the control panel and none of them are labeled.

I hope to take it out for the shake down trip in the next week or two.
I agree on labeling the switches. I still don't know what the one on the right in the cabinet above the door is for. And I can't get any response from the dealer.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanewton View Post
I agree on labeling the switches. I still don't know what the one on the right in the cabinet above the door is for. And I can't get any response from the dealer.
I was scratching my head on one until I opened the awning. One of the switches is for an LED light strip that is installed in the awning tube channel and can only be seen when the awning is fully extended. The 3 switches on mine are (from left to right) the outside light on the slide wall, the awning led strip, and the interior ceiling lights (there is a second switch that also controls these lights).
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Our new A. C. E. has two keys for the outside hatches which include the TV compartment. I checked and the hatch key from our 1994 TT also works fine for all the locks. Jim.
My storage compartment key does not work for the outside entertainment compartment because they are different types of locks. The dealer contacted Thor and they are supposed to be (operative phrase) sending duplicates for the entertainment center and the front cap barrel locks.

I found the key for the storage compartment on my class C (had a third one laying around) are the same as for the new coach. Luckily we RV'ers are honest folks.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #9

THOR #1032
Quote:
I was scratching my head on one until I opened the awning. One of the switches is for an LED light strip that is installed in the awning tube channel and can only be seen when the awning is fully extended. The 3 switches on mine are (from left to right) the outside light on the slide wall, the awning led strip, and the interior ceiling lights (there is a second switch that also controls these lights).

Ok that makes sense. I assumed the awning lights came on when you extended the awning. Next time I go to the RV I'll open the awning and check it. I have been going crazy trying to find what that switch did. The other two are just like yours.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 04:19 AM   #10

Model: Challenger
State: California
THOR #1650
Thanks for the info on the Thor Challenger 37ND. We intend to buy one of these in the Fall. I would like to find out more about it. Does it have two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries. I know that there is space available for adding to more batteries next to the others. I would also like to know the specific model of converter/charger that it has. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
I found the key for the storage compartment on my class C (had a third one laying around) are the same as for the new coach.
That's OK. If you lose your key, ask one of your RV neighbors to open the compartment for you.

Most RVs use a CH751 key for the storage compartments. This means your key will probably fit 99% of the RVs in existence.

You can buy differently keyed tumblers if you want, but that can get expensive.

Worse - my dealer told me that the door lock key is also the same for most RVs, but at least the deadbolt key is different. I have not confirmed this though, but that is a bit worrisome.

On the other hand...

not labeling the switches is a bit reminiscent of classic German automobiles, some of which have non-labelled switches. I once bought my son a 1985 Audi (I bought it cheap) for his high-school graduation present. The owner's manual was long-gone, and it was fun trying to discover what the several switches on the console did.

So perhaps they are using German styling in their RVs?

nah... it just costs less not labeling switches.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbifico View Post
Thanks for the info on the Thor Challenger 37ND. We intend to buy one of these in the Fall. I would like to find out more about it. Does it have two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries. I know that there is space available for adding to more batteries next to the others. I would also like to know the specific model of converter/charger that it has. Thanks.
The coach has 2 6 volt batteries and I have been eyeing that compartment and trying to determine when I want to add 2 more. You are correct, the space is readily available and even has the slots for the hold down straps. I plan on having a thorough weight of the coach performed at a rally in April so I'll make my final decision after weighting the rig. I have found a few warranty items that need to be worked but this list is actually shorter than the one I had for my Forest River class C when I purchased that unit.

The maiden voyage is schedule to begin in a week or two so the list may grow as the miles and use increase.

One point now, any one purchasing one in the near future, verify the spanner wrench for the water filter works on the filter housing. On mine the spanner wrench is too big and I was lucky I had a strap wrench to remove the filter housing so I could install the filter after sanitizing the fresh water system.

When I go back out to the rig I'll let you know about the converter.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
That's OK. If you lose your key, ask one of your RV neighbors to open the compartment for you.

Most RVs use a CH751 key for the storage compartments. This means your key will probably fit 99% of the RVs in existence.

You can buy differently keyed tumblers if you want, but that can get expensive.

Worse - my dealer told me that the door lock key is also the same for most RVs, but at least the deadbolt key is different. I have not confirmed this though, but that is a bit worrisome.
I was wrong on one point, the class C storage compartment key did it work on the slam shut storage compartment locks. The class C key (CH751) unlocks the fresh water fill door only. What is even better is that the CH751 is also the key that most builders put on storage shed door locks.

As to the door locks, the ones on this coach are different than the ones that were on my class C. I have been thinking about having an electronic lock set installed on the door to the coach. That is on a list of mods that I will prioritize sometime in the near future. Before prioritizing my list, I need to see what the other half adds to it after a trip or two in the coach. Her mods will probably carry about a 25 to 50 percent "more important" factor than mine.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
One issue two thing I don't like about the coach

One issue, three things I do not like about the coach, and they were not discovered until after dark.

1. The exterior under step light does not come on when the step is locked out and the door is open.

2. The outside light is mounted on the slide wall and when the slide is out (extended) the light does not illuminated the steps or the door.

3. The interior light switch is located in a cabinet on the exterior wall above the entry way door.

When it is dark and the coach is parked (slide extended and step locked out) wear shin guards.

My temporary fix is a door mat by the step which tells my feet when to stop and has improved my vocabulary somewhat (less use of profanity) and using double stick tape placing a tap light under the over door cabinet so I can hit it on the way into the coach to illuminate the steps.

A lot could be done if Thor would move the outside light so it is mounted over, or to the right of the door instead of on the slide. This slight mod may reduce the number of time in which their name is used in vain.

I know, this is three things and one issue.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #15

THOR #1032
At least you got a spanner wrench. I didn't get one in my 37 GT. I ordered one from Amazon I think it was. Seems a little large but it works.

As for the light on the steps. I don't know if there is one on ours. I'll have to check when when I get it back from the dealer. Had a few very minor issues. I haven't had a chance to look at it at night yet. Does the ND have LED's in the awning and would it help with seeing the steps.
wanewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
At least you got a spanner wrench. I didn't get one in my 37 GT. I ordered one from Amazon I think it was. Seems a little large but it works.

As for the light on the steps. I don't know if there is one on ours. I'll have to check when when I get it back from the dealer. Had a few very minor issues. I haven't had a chance to look at it at night yet. Does the ND have LED's in the awning and would it help with seeing the steps.
Yes the ND has the LEDs in the awning and it does help. However, a lesson learned some time back on a previous coach, and reinforced during a trip to Disney world in January, is to never leave the awning extended when I am away from the coach. On a previous coach I left for a day of sight seeing and while gone a wind squall came up and played with my awning. No damage, but the lesson was learned. In January at Disney world the folks in a trailer next to me came back from a day at the park to find their awning on the ground after a sudden rain shower. Lesson reinforced.

I noticed on my rig that although the filter element is the same size as most RV filters, the Flow-Pur filter housing is smaller in diameter than most. Even though the filter housing is tapered, the spanner they gave me is about a 1/2 inch to big at the largest area of the filter housing. I think I will go to an auto parts store or visit my local Snap On dealer and get an adjustable (hinged) open end automotive spanner wrench. I believe that will serve the purpose for any size filter housing. It should also work for straight or tapered housings. A plumbing supply store may have something similar for plumbers use.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #17

THOR #1032
When I was writing my earlier post, I thought about the possible open awning issue. My salesman had suggested we don't leave it open if away so I can see your point.

I saw an adjustable strap wrench at Lowe's that I almost bought, and may eventually get, before finding the wrench online. It was in the area with the household filters. I liked it better than automotive for this since it was a strap and not metal.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
When I was writing my earlier post, I thought about the possible open awning issue. My salesman had suggested we don't leave it open if away so I can see your point.

I saw an adjustable strap wrench at Lowe's that I almost bought, and may eventually get, before finding the wrench online. It was in the area with the household filters. I liked it better than automotive for this since it was a strap and not metal.
I have the adjustable strap wrench and that is what I used. The rubber when wet slips a little but it did serve the purpose. The slipping is why I would like to find a hook type spanner wrench. I can see the slipping rubber causing bruised knuckles in the future and that is why I am looking for a hook type spanner.

On the awning, have your dealer check to see if your awning is under the Carefree recall. I called Thor and my awning is not under the recall. I posted the details of the recall on another thread.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

THOR #1032
Thanks for the reminder on that recall. I saw that post but forgot about it. I need to look that up again.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
What is even better is that the CH751 is also the key that most builders put on storage shed door locks.
As well as the overhead doors on a lot of office cubicles. Kind of makes you wonder why even bother...