Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Angler Drew View Post
Interesting. I thought the rear slide in the 25.2 had a real mattress and it did not bend/fold when slid in. I mean, if it is just as comfortable as the beds in the others or a sleeper sofa then I might just change my floor plan preference. I was only wanting the 25.2 because it appeared to be a more comfortable mattress.

I guess the option for me, to be legal, would only be a 25.1 if I wanted to try and sleep 6 and ride with 6 as well. Unless this new floor plan that people are talking about (25.3?) comes out soon.
Based on limited inspection of all the models at RV shows, I would think that it's easier to get more adults to sleep in the 25.1 versus the 25.2 anyway.

Because of the front slide on 25.1, it opens that area more so that you may be able to through a pad and sleeping bag on floor (I personally think the cab overhead bunk is too narrow for two adults -- provided it could even handle weight).

I was told by factory the 25.3 (if that's ultimately right number) would be out within 2 months or so, and that was a couple of weeks ago. I'd guess it will be introduced at some upcoming major RV Show. Looking at RV calendar may indicate which is likely.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I believe 300 pounds is the weight capacity of the overhead bunk.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #23

State: North Carolina
THOR #2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I believe 300 pounds is the weight capacity of the overhead bunk.
Interesting, I was told 500 by a sales person I'm almost certain.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes: 500 lbs:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #25

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
5 seatbelts in our 25.2. I wouldn't put anyone on the bed in motion. We, too were apprehensive about the folding mattress, but it is fine for us with a couple of inches of foam pad on top.
We like the tweeks they did on the 25.2 for 2016, but it might not matter to some others.
When you go to sell or trade, the first question will be what year? You want to make sure you aren't overpaying for a 2015.. I believe that generally, motorhomes are built on chassis from the previous year. My 2016 is on a 2015 chassis.
We ordered ours, to get just what we wanted, and the timing was perfect for us.
Happy hunting!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
5 seatbelts in our 25.2. I wouldn't put anyone on the bed in motion. We, too were apprehensive about the folding mattress, but it is fine for us with a couple of inches of foam pad on top.
We like the tweeks they did on the 25.2 for 2016, but it might not matter to some others.
When you go to sell or trade, the first question will be what year? You want to make sure you aren't overpaying for a 2015.. I believe that generally, motorhomes are built on chassis from the previous year. My 2016 is on a 2015 chassis.
We ordered ours, to get just what we wanted, and the timing was perfect for us.
Happy hunting!
Would you recap the tweets you like, and any revisions between 2015 and 2016 you may not, or are indifferent about?

Sorry if this is repetitive and covered elsewhere.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes: 500 lbs:
My mistake. Sorry. Didn't mean to relay incorrect information.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
My mistake. Sorry. Didn't mean to relay incorrect information.
No problem; I couldn't remember it and made a special trip to the storage lot to take that pic! LOL
(I had two other pics with that decal in them but they were far enough away from the bunk that the blurry decal could be read as 300 or 500!)
Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #2333
No problem Larry! Honest mistake!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:51 AM   #30

THOR #1589
The 2016 changes I remember included: Axxera radio, (I think later 2015s had this), jack knife sofa replaced the L shape, stainless sink in bath, tv's without the DVD, minor changes in the striping, led lights throughout.
We like the jacknife sofa, but someone made a valid point earlier about losing a forward facing seat. The sofa has 3 sets of seat belts, but they all face sideways. I will leave the argument about the safety of that to others. Since we rarely have passengers, that doesn't concern us much.
We do sometimes have daytime visitors, and the jacknife works better for that purpose. It is super easy to pop it down to sleep on. So far (three weeks), I haven't been forced to do that.
We did have a 9 year old for a few nights, and didn't tell him about the bunk, so he was happy on the sofa laid flat. That sofa would be kinda tight for two adults, in my opinion, but there was a time when my wife and I could sleep together in a twin bed...
As we planned our purchase,we also wanted a unit that hadn't been in snow or salt. That was part of our timing. A walk around queen bed was high on our list of must haves, so none of the other configurations suited us.
BTW, If you order without the outside TV, you get a flat wall, with no TV access door. We ordered with outside TV, but no bedroom TV, then had the dealer move it. For now, that bay is holding an array of cleaning and was products.
As I said, a few minor tweeks. The factory tour revealed several areas of improvements from the first units, but I didn't note when those were implemented. Like auto companies, they tend to do something each new model year, to make you want to upgrade.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #31

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The Ford E-Series stripped chassis on which the Axis and Vegas are built has been updated for Ford model year 2016. I'm not sure when that 2016 chassis will appear in motorhomes. From what I've been told here the chassis and motorhome model years don't run concurrently.

The main chassis update I'm interested in is the switch from the old 5-speed 5R110 automatic to the much newer 6R140 presently used in SuperDuty Ford trucks and larger commercial trucks. This applies to chassis like Axis/Vegas with the V10 engine. Other E-Series with the 5.4 V8 will continue with the 5R110 in 2016.

Another change that should be announced within a month or two is an additional floorplan. I was told it would be called the 25.3. It's supposed to have a dinette in front without a slide (to provide forward-facing seating -- a must for me) but reportedly will have a rear bedroom slide on driver side (unfortunately for me because I prefer no slide at all).
Chance, I'm curious how reliable your source is on these changes you mention. I'm wondering about the transmission change you mention to the new 6 speed. The reason i'm asking is because the Ford rep for Total Value in Ellhart was asked about the change and said he knows of no plans for the change. Of course, they don't want to let it be known obviously because as soon as the date is announced, no further sales of the old model would happen. Right? So, I'm curious if know this to be fact and when the change happens. I'm right on the cusp os ordering an Axis. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #32

THOR #1589
Perhaps the 25.3 will be on a E-450, where the current models are on the E-350. The extra gross weight capacity would make two slides possible. A Super Vegas/Super Axis? You have to wonder what that will do to the price point.
Another change from the 2015s to the 2016s was the overhead bunk now has a mattress to replace the inflatable air mattress thingy. DW still thinks we could leave the mattress home and use that space for storage, but it looks like we have enough room for all our junk, making that unnecessary.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #33

THOR #1067
Quote:
I'm patient and gladly wait for what I want, in large part because I keep vehicles a long time. The manual mode addresses what I didn't like on 5R110. I just hope it's not deleted as an option.

For what it's worth, it will also come on 2016 Ford model year F53 motorhome chassis.
Chance, are you sure about the new 6 speed transmission? I ask because the Ford rep for Total Value RV in Elkhart Indiana told them no changes in transmission was coming that he knew of. I guess the key is the phrase, "that he knew of." I'm sure they wouldn't want that information to be public too soon before it happens because people like you and i would put off an anticipated purchase to wait. Just curious if you know that it's a done deal.. It would definitely change my current plans which is to buy in the fall. thanks.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Chance, are you sure about the new 6 speed transmission? I ask because the Ford rep for Total Value RV in Elkhart Indiana told them no changes in transmission was coming that he knew of. I guess the key is the phrase, "that he knew of." I'm sure they wouldn't want that information to be public too soon before it happens because people like you and i would put off an anticipated purchase to wait. Just curious if you know that it's a done deal.. It would definitely change my current plans which is to buy in the fall. thanks.
It's on the Ford website for the E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis. There is nothing secret about it.

2016 Ford Stripped Chassis E-350 DRW | See All The Stripped Chassis E-350 DRW Highlights | Ford.com

Look under power tab.

It is shown for E-Series starting with 2016 Ford model year, and only with the optional V10 engine. The standard V8 engine still has the 5- speed. I'd bet that since the 5.4L V8 and 5-speed is now only used in standard E-Series (as far as I know), and few don't upgrade E-Series to V10, that the 5.4L V8 and 5-speed will soon be history. Just a guess on my part. I can't imagine there is enough volume to keep the lines going.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #35

THOR #1067
Quote:
It's on the Ford website for the E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis. There is nothing secret about it.

2016 Ford Stripped Chassis E-350 DRW | See All The Stripped Chassis E-350 DRW Highlights | Ford.com

Look under power tab.

It is shown for E-Series starting with 2016 Ford model year, and only with the optional V10 engine. The standard V8 engine still has the 5- speed. I'd bet that since the 5.4L V8 and 5-speed is now only used in standard E-Series (as far as I know), and few don't upgrade E-Series to V10, that the 5.4L V8 and 5-speed will soon be history. Just a guess on my part. I can't imagine there is enough volume to keep the lines going.
Ok, so it's no secret except they don't want customers to know when Thor will go to the new transmission. Have you got a guess when they will start using the new chassis with the new transmission? If you do, I'll just make plans to order mine after that date. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #36

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Perhaps the 25.3 will be on a E-450, where the current models are on the E-350. The extra gross weight capacity would make two slides possible. A Super Vegas/Super Axis? You have to wonder what that will do to the price point.
....cut....
Comparing detail specs, I can only see the rear axle and springs as being different in the E-450 as of 2013 model year.. Engine, frame, front suspension, etc. can be the same if specified that way.

The problem I see with the E-450 is that the rear axle is wider and therefore wouldn't fit under the Axis/Vegas.

On the other hand I think Ford could come up with narrower axle for E-450 if they wanted.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Ok, so it's no secret except they don't want customers to know when Thor will go to the new transmission. Have you got a guess when they will start using the new chassis with the new transmission? If you do, I'll just make plans to order mine after that date. Thanks again.
No idea, but expect that's a Thor issue and not Ford.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
It is shown for E-Series starting with 2016 Ford model year, and only with the optional V10 engine. The standard V8 engine still has the 5- speed. I'd bet that since the 5.4L V8 and 5-speed is now only used in standard E-Series (as far as I know), and few don't upgrade E-Series to V10, that the 5.4L V8 and 5-speed will soon be history.
The E-Series van is long gone at this point. All Ford vans being sold today are Transit vans with Ecoboost powertrains. The only place E-Series lives on is the stripped chassis and chassis cabs.
It's only a matter of time before those go as well (along with the venerable V-10).

http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitva...=header-trucks
Old 07-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #39
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
In 2014 Ford stated they will continue producing the E series stripped and cutaways until "almost the end of the decade" We are closer to the end of the decade than we are to the beginning of the decade.

That could be why Thor started producing the Super C models on the F550 Super Duty chassis a few years ago.

I imagine there are quite a few manufacturers wondering how to handle the complete retirement of the E Series in a few years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
In 2014 Ford stated they will continue producing the E series stripped and cutaways until "almost the end of the decade" We are closer to the end of the decade than we are to the beginning of the decade.

That could be why Thor started producing the Super C models on the F550 Super Duty chassis a few years ago.

I imagine there are quite a few manufacturers wondering how to handle the complete retirement of the E Series in a few years.
Ford extended the retirement date of the Ranger pickup a couple of times, so that's always possible I guess. Also, why update the E-Series for 2016 if only a year or two away from elimination?

From what I read years ago, they registered T-450 and T-550 names, so they may be planning on heavier-duty versions of Transit to replace the E-Series. They are not likely to walk away from C-Class market they basically own. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds for sure.