Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 01:59 AM   #161
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Doc,

When you had your problems did you by chance file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. There have been 2 complaints filed in regards to them not honoring the warranty on RV batteries. In one case they told the person to buy new batteries and they would reimburse.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #162

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dave,

Earlier last month, as a last ditch effort after numerous emails to THor Customer Service Manager, I sent a letter to Robert Martin, CEO, President, Director Thor Industires Inc concerning my problems with the Harris Batteries.

I received a phone call that I would be receiving reimbursement this month. So the jury is still out on my case.

The BBB was my next step.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #163

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1 on E450
State: Tennessee
THOR #2361
Thanks for the heads up on the batteries. It's a shame Thor would continue to use them after so many problems.

I did email Ed and got his manual. It's fantastic! Abviously he put a lot of work into it and I'm sure glad he's willing to share.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #164

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Maybe it's not so much bad batteries as bad prep? Our rig was dangerously low in a couple cells upon delivery from the production line. Though none of the cells have taken noticable water since then. It's likely the batteries would have gone bad by now if those low cells weren't taken care of prior to use. I do wonder how many of the bad batteries would still be in service if they were adequately filled prior to putting them into service?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #165

THOR #2142
Ty,

As I was told, the batteries could have been damaged BEFORE I got the RV. They could have been damaged at any point in time after they were installed in the unit. That leaves a lot of variables that as the end user WE have no idea of much less control over (so why should we get left holding the bag?).

Simple Idea: Maybe they should have "interm" batteries placed into the units during production and then replace once the sale is made. The "interm" batteries could then be sent back to the manufacturing facility and cycled thru again.

Doc

Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #166

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
I have the dreaded Harris batteries that are now 2 years old....no problems and holding full charge.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #167

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I hear ya Doc... In my case, there were very few variables between production line and my garage. My cells with water down to the plates was obviously due to improper filling or overcharge outside the coach wherever Thor's incoming dry batteries are processed. I know this because my batteries have not shown continued boil off. Pretty clear indicator that neither of the coach charging systems could have caused the low cells I observed at delivery.

Why so many blame Harris ... are they really subpar?
Old 04-18-2016, 01:09 AM   #168

THOR #2142
To quote a great movie "I don't know nothing about birthin no babies". With that said, when I got my Vegas home from delivery (purchase from CW) the batteries would not hold a charge. Three attempts at the CW did not help hold a charge. Once I got rid of the Harris Batteries and had complete control of the batteries (fluid levels, charging time, shore power) my replacement batteries have had no problem.

Were the Harris Batteries mistreated once placed into the Vegas...I do not know. Did someone over-charge or under-charge...I do not know. Is the WFCO charger/converter able to leap tall buildings at a single charge...I do knot know. What I do know is for the past 6 months, since I have been in control of the RV my new batteries are doing fine and I have not had a problem.

I have said it before and I will say it again (paraphrasing Star Trek my favorite TV Show) "Damn it Ty/Squid, I'm a doctor not an electrician".

Bottom line, what I purchased as "New" did not work, what I replaced does.

Doc

Old 04-18-2016, 01:17 AM   #169
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510

Since we resolved our issue and Ron has been managing our batteries, Harris ? or not (only a black box battery with no name) ... we seem to be OK. I hope this positive ... does not fall apart when we get on the road for our extended trip !
HOLDING OUR COLLECTIVE BREATHS ! DOC !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #170

THOR #4234
Questions about your thread here

Hi, We have three day old (to us) 2017 Thor Axis 24.1. So far, really really love it. Have been camping for six years mostly with a Lance trailer that served us very well and was of great quality. Hopefully, this will also be a wonderful experience for the next few years.

1. When driving, does the engine "charge" the house battery?
2. A BIG question is the SEIKI TV system. Briefly, at two other campgrounds, we were able to get cable one night, then the next OTA. Last night, we could NOT get cable on any of the 3 SEIKI TVs! And, yes, I had the antenna green button off and rescanned for cable. Any thoughts? thanks. debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Thor really seems to have listened to many of our complaints. In addition to the obvious improvements of the new transmission, new bathroom doors and upgraded radio, to name a few, they also moved the oil fill cap to the front of the engine - where it is easily accessible -- and dropped the engine battery tray so that it looks like you can change the battery without cutting the coach apart. The use/store switch for the house batteries really seems to work! In my Vegas, I had to add an additional on/off switch to the coach batteries so they did not discharge. In the 2016 Axis, the radio shuts off completely and is disconnected when the use/store switch is in the "store" position. I have a permanent digital readout for my house batteries and they seem to be remaining fully charged. The "store" really seems to store!
The shower and shower curtain are a real improvement both in looks and usefulness.
In addition, the overall fit and finish is far superior to my 2014 Vegas. I had one of the early ones and it was horribly finished. I loved my Vegas and drove it all over the US, Alaska and Canada (I know Alaska is in the US for all my Alaskan friends), but I spend weeks after I purchased it wrapping electrical and water connections, tying wiring and water lines down, etc, etc.. I was one of Thor's biggest critics. I loved the coach and hated the sloppy workmanship and lack of quality control. I am happy to say that the 2016 Axis is completely different. Having fixed all those things the first time, I was not going to have to do it again. To my great surprise, I did not have to. It had already been done. The number of things I found wrong on the Axis was very small. Even after crawling over it for a week, I find little or nothing to complain about yet.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #171

THOR #2142
Debbie,

Check the threads on this site. Someone was discussing recent changes in the Cable signal provided and how some of the more up-to-date Campsites have the newer signal which the Seiki TV's can not utilize.

Doc

Old 05-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #172
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeskan View Post
Hi, We have three day old (to us) 2017 Thor Axis 24.1. So far, really really love it. Have been camping for six years mostly with a Lance trailer that served us very well and was of great quality. Hopefully, this will also be a wonderful experience for the next few years.

1. When driving, does the engine "charge" the house battery?
2. A BIG question is the SEIKI TV system. Briefly, at two other campgrounds, we were able to get cable one night, then the next OTA. Last night, we could NOT get cable on any of the 3 SEIKI TVs! And, yes, I had the antenna green button off and rescanned for cable. Any thoughts? thanks. debbie
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the coach.

Yes, the engine alternator will charge the house batteries as you are driving down the road.

The Seiki Televisions used by Thor do not include QAM tuners. If the campground you are staying at uses a cable provider that uses QAM encryption for their signal the TVs will not pick up any channels without one of the cable companies set top boxes. I recently replaced my 40 inch Seiki in the living area with a 46 inch Sharp Aquos with QAM tuner. I bought a universal stand for the 40 inch Seiki, connected to a cable set top box in my master bedroom at home. My older bedroom television became a charitable tax deduction for this year.

Here is the link to one of several threads on the forum where we discuss the issue of QAM tuners.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...lems-3370.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #173

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Debbie,

Check the threads on this site. Someone was discussing recent changes in the Cable signal provided and how some of the more up-to-date Campsites have the newer signal which the Seiki TV's can not utilize.

Doc
Thanks very much. did check, and to my dismay---even though this is a 2017 Axis--Thor has opted not to upgrade the included THREE Seiki TVs to utilize the upgraded encrypted digital cable in some campgrounds. I will try and find out a more definitive answer from THOR and post to forums in the proper thread.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #174

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the coach.

Yes, the engine alternator will charge the house batteries as you are driving down the road.

The Seiki Televisions used by Thor do not include QAM tuners. If the campground you are staying at uses a cable provider that uses QAM encryption for their signal the TVs will not pick up any channels without one of the cable companies set top boxes. I recently replaced my 40 inch Seiki in the living area with a 46 inch Sharp Aquos with QAM tuner. I bought a universal stand for the 40 inch Seiki, connected to a cable set top box in my master bedroom at home. My older bedroom television became a charitable tax deduction for this year.

Here is the link to one of several threads on the forum where we discuss the issue of QAM tuners.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...lems-3370.html
Thanks Dave, both for "house" battery charging info and TV link!

Happy Camping!
Old 05-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #175

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If you have a volt meter you can easily check if the engine alternator is actually charging the house batteries. With the engine running, the voltage on the house batteries should be above 13.1v. The system, should (and in the majority of cases it does) charge the house batteries. However, there have been several 2016 Axis that were wired incorrectly at the factory so the the house batteries were not recharged by the engine alternator. I have one of them. Luckily, it is easily fixable it yours is not working correctly.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #176

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If you have a volt meter you can easily check if the engine alternator is actually charging the house batteries. With the engine running, the voltage on the house batteries should be above 13.1v. The system, should (and in the majority of cases it does) charge the house batteries. However, there have been several 2016 Axis that were wired incorrectly at the factory so the the house batteries were not recharged by the engine alternator. I have one of them. Luckily, it is easily fixable it yours is not working correctly.
I have a volt meter at home (heading that way on Monday) so will also check. Thanks for the input and this total thread peeps have joined in on!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #177

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Dbeskan -- there have been several folks that went back to Thor about replacing the non-QAM Seiki TVs. To the best of my knowledge, none have been successful. The Seikis will scan channels when on antenna, and they will also scan channels off cable systems that are not encoded (like a local park's own Dish system). I suppose as far as Thor is concerned -- that is good enough for them.

Good luck and let us know what Thor says.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #178
vkb

THOR #3510
Next weekend will be our true test of our new Axis.
TV is not a priority for us...however, we have a digital box from one of our old tv's...doubt it would do any good, but will throw it in in case we have a reception problem. We like to get the news.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #179

State: Washington
THOR #4371
Hello all. I'm new to this post and have question: Has anybody lived off the grid in their Thor Axis and if so, how long did it last until you had to go back for supplies.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #180
vkb

THOR #3510
QAM Tuner

I thought I found a tuner ... however, having read the info I find it is not a solution to the problem.
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD Dual ATSC and QAM TV Tuner
Jeep Wrangler TJ