Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
THOR #11174
2016 Hurricane - A Little Battery Help?

Hey All - I know, I know...there has been plenty of battery threads on this. Haven't been able to fully target the right answer though. Have a 2016 Hurricane with the electric fridge, not the gas. Running two 6 volt (non-AGM batteries). My question to the crew is should I just add two more non-AGM batteries to my current batteries or should I punt on the 6-volts and go with 4 AGM batteries. When dry camping, the inverter alarm goes off in the middle of the night forcing me to shut the power down. I put the fridge on low to conserve energy.

Thoughts?

Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My simple theory, is to just add two more batteries that are like what you've got...

You can always change things around at a later date!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #3

THOR #11174
Thanks Bob - yeah, that's what I figured. I'll measure my space down there and add the two until I'm ready to add four AGMs.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Which model of Hurricane do you have? Our 35C has room for 4 batteries and we added 2 more and upgraded to AGM so we have 4 AGM batteries. We added solar charging as well to help keep the batteries topped off during the daytime.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #5

THOR #11174
Ok - this is great...getting it all figured out. We have a 34J. I think I can add a total of four, but might have to stack them. Right now we have the US Standard 6 volts.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampCaudill View Post
Ok - this is great...getting it all figured out. We have a 34J. I think I can add a total of four, but might have to stack them. Right now we have the US Standard 6 volts.
You should have room for 4 in that chassis. 6V vs. 12V is a personal choice... I would just add 2 more 6V (unless your current batteries are more than a year old, then swap them and get 4 similar batteries so they all charge and discharge at like rates.) 6V batteries tend to have more AmpHours in capacity than 12V but since the system is 12V, you will have two pairs that create two 12V units. Pretty typical.

If you need to stack batteries, then definitely get AGM batteries as they can be placed on their sides without any issues.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #7

THOR #11174
Hi John - Thanks for the intel on AGM's being able to lay sideways...didn't know that! We are actually dry camping as I type this so I'll hit a Walmart or Costco for two more 6 volts.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampCaudill View Post
Hey All - I know, I know...there has been plenty of battery threads on this. Haven't been able to fully target the right answer though. Have a 2016 Hurricane with the electric fridge, not the gas. Running two 6 volt (non-AGM batteries). My question to the crew is should I just add two more non-AGM batteries to my current batteries or should I punt on the 6-volts and go with 4 AGM batteries. When dry camping, the inverter alarm goes off in the middle of the night forcing me to shut the power down. I put the fridge on low to conserve energy.

Thoughts?
We too are learning the longevity of our batteries. We a residential fridge also and two 6v didn't make it thru the night. We started turning off the power to fridge at night. Temps held pretty well overnight. It was only about 55-60 degrees outside tho. We have 4, 6v now that held pretty well doing two nights of dry camping.