Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #4388
2017 Thor Vegas Emergency Switch

Hello,
I accidentally engaged the Emergency Start Switch on the dash while parked.
Had been running the A/C using the Generator and had turned both off.
Went to crank up the generator again and hit the Emergency Start Switch by accident. Heard the click/clunk and went uh-oh. Turned on the Generator and it will not longer engage the house juice so I cannot turn on the A/C. Did I trip something on the Generator itself when I hit the Emergency Switch ?
Any input appreciated.
Thank you

Vegasbaby

Old 06-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you are talking about the house A/C and not the A/C on the engine then no you didn't.

The emergency start switch simply shorts the two 12V systems together so you can start the generator from the chassis battery or start the V-10 from the house battery.

The house A/C on the roof runs on 120V no amount of messing with the emergency start switch should do anything.

Did you wait long enough: When the generator starts there is a good 30 second to 45 second delay before it turns on 120V.

There are some breakers on the side of the generator behind its panel outside--check those to make sure they didn't trip.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If you had the generator off, hitting the emergency switch should not have affected the generator. All it does is connect the house and chassis batteries. There is a circuit breaker on the generator. You may have tripped that. Check your use/store switch to make sure it did not pop although that should not affect your A/c power. If not the generator circuit breaker or the circuit breaker for the A/C under the fridge, it may be your transfer switch under the passenger side bed.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #4

THOR #4388
Thanks !

Thanks very much for the responses. I will check the Generator etc in the morning. I have a feeling I tripped the Gen breakers.
Appreciate your insight.
Vegasbaby
Old 06-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
You tripped the Generator breaker, which is why is 'runs', but there is no electricity in the coach to the Air Conditioners....
or
your ATS(auto transfer switch) has gone bad, but that's doubtful.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hope that the O.P. checks back in, and tells us about the outcome of this...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #7

THOR #4388
Outcome

I tried the Breaker on the Generator and it still will not kick on the juice in the cab so I can't turn on the A/C. There is no BEEP after 30 seconds or so telling me it has engaged.. I'm bummed. How do I access the Circuit Breaker for the A/C ? Someone said it was under the fridge. Perhaps that was tripped ? I want to figure this out. There is always an answer.
Thank you,
Vegasbaby
Old 06-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Your Air Conditioner(s) circuit breaker will be in your Main circuit breaker panel.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
When you start the generator, ALL other equipment should be off. No air conditioner, no TV, no microwave. Nothing! If any of these are on, you may have tripped the circuit breaker on the generator again. {I know this from experience}
Old 06-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby! View Post
I tried the Breaker on the Generator and it still will not kick on the juice in the cab so I can't turn on the A/C. There is no BEEP after 30 seconds or so telling me it has engaged.. I'm bummed. How do I access the Circuit Breaker for the A/C ? Someone said it was under the fridge. Perhaps that was tripped ? I want to figure this out. There is always an answer.
Thank you,
Vegasbaby
Look under the little black cover, under the fridge. That is where the 30 amp general breaker is along with circuit breakers for all the 120v appliances. Do you have any 120v power? Does your microwave light up when you fire up the generator? From you post, that sounds like a no. Can you plug into shore power?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #11

THOR #4388
Outcome II

Hello,
Yes the 120v appliances including the A/C will run when I plug in. Microwave functions and A/C--just not under Generator power. I have made sure everything is off before turning on the Generator. I flipper the Circuit Breaker on the Gen but no dice.
Thanks again,
Vegasbaby!
Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #12

THOR #1765
Both the generator and shore power provide power thru the transfer switch located under the passenger side bed in the Vegas. Since everything works under shore power, that eliminates the circuit breakers under the fridge as the problem. So that leaves the path from the generator, thru the transfer switch and then to those circuit breakers. If the breaker at the generator is ok, here is another possibility. This box is between the generator and transfer switch and was the problem for another Thor owner. It might also be yours. The next place to look is the transfer switch. It is possible that the wire from the generator has come loose in the transfer switch. That might allow the transfer switch to work with shore power but not the generator. The box in the attachment is the first place I would look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	139973A2-1B19-49A9-B0DB-B15704BE4E43.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	10678  
Old 06-24-2018, 03:44 AM   #13

State: Tennessee
THOR #9146
You may want to try the generator switch one more time .... I had the same problem and learned that the switch on the generator is an on off switch and not a circuit breaker switch. On my Onan the switch is on when pulled toward you and off when away from you its very hard to see and black ...... I painted mine white.