Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #2858
2016 Outlaw 38RF

Has anyone see the Outlaw 38RF yet? I understand it was at the Hershey show a week ago. I've been looking around the Internet but have yet to find any pictures. Did someone go to the Hershey show and take any?

One change I'd like to see before they go into production is to swap the position of the retractable 50" LED TV with the exterior so it's in a more direct viewing position of the seating. That should be quite easy to do. I've already sent that request to them.

Also hopefully there is a computer draw in the buffet dinette.

My suggested modification of the Dinette.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We looked at the 2015 and walked away. We decided on the Challenger 37ND instead.

We didn't like the fact that from the inside of the coach you have to walk through a bathroom to get to the exterior kitchen.

Also, I was concerned about the ability to lower the deck if a tow vehicle is attached making it impossible to use the grill during an overnight stop.

The 2015 did not have a computer drawer in the dinette. The center part of the dinette is a removal panel to access the wiring etc for the outside television (a lot of wasted space).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #3

THOR #2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
We looked at the 2015 and walked away. We decided on the Challenger 37ND instead.

We didn't like the fact that from the inside of the coach you have to walk through a bathroom to get to the exterior kitchen.
Since we have two large dogs that rear deck is something we really would like to have. We'd also take a PS drop down patio if someone had it on another model.
Quote:
Also, I was concerned about the ability to lower the deck if a tow vehicle is attached making it impossible to use the grill during an overnight stop.
I figure that I'd likely need more room for the toad than the deck so chances are good I'd have to disconnect anyway unless the spot is quite long.
Quote:
The 2015 did not have a computer drawer in the dinette. The center part of the dinette is a removal panel to access the wiring etc for the outside television (a lot of wasted space).
So which end of the dinette is the 50" HDTV, front or rear? Also how deep is the dinette and is there is a standard drawer? If so it could easily be converted to a keyboard drawer.

Other than the two things you talked about how is the rest of the coach when it comes to layout and space to move around?
Old 09-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The coach is roomy and the bedroom area was very large. The bedroom area without the loft area which comes on the garage units allows for a ceiling fan in the master bedroom. The remainder of the coach living area is basically the same size as the Challenger.

On the one we looked at the TV was positioned towards the front of the dinette. There are no drawers in the dinette but rather 2 cupboards which are positioned front and rear. The center is an access panel held on by 4 screws.

One word of caution, I recall some posts about toilet problems. I believe, but am not positive, the posts were related to the outlaw 37 series. You may want to search the forum.

One other thing I would do is get the VIN and find out from Ford if the chassis was manufactured as a 252 inch wheel base or if the chassis is a stretched 242 incher. I do like the 30K GCWR however the question becomes what is the empty weight. I did not research these items because the coach wasn't a fit for us.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:51 AM   #5

THOR #2858
Thanks for the update. I've been looking for any photos but nothing has showed up on the Internet yet. Worse case I hope to see it next month at the Pomona, CA show.

Glad to see the indoor TV was pushed forward and the outdoor toward the rear. That will give better viewing for the inside TV. The outdoor TV will be further from the door which is also good.

The fact that there are doors I think will make after market addition of a workstation platform easier to do by and good wood worker. They could make a dress and cut down the door. I'll get a better idea once I can see one in the flesh.

I suspect it's the 252" chassis due to the 26K GVWR rating or at least I hope so.

Again, thanks for the update.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 AM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 3611
THOR #576
The Residence version out last year was the then new 38RE...this year it's the 38RF.
Both, like all current Outlaws are rolling on the 252" wheelbase 26,000lb GVWR Ford F53.

If the RF follows the RE's roll-out, it will first be seen at the Elkhart Open House (was last week - details are few since it was dealers only) at the RV Hall of Fame east. If it was there, it "could" make it to the Oct 9-18 Pomona show.

The RE did not make the Sept Hershey or June Tampa shows...and neither did the RF...so we'll have wait and see.

BTW, the RE at last years shows was a prototype that did not have the residential Fridge. Kinda odd since it was the "RE" Residential Edition.

Safe travels
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #7

THOR #2858
The Outlawrv.com site got update so here are photos of the 38RF interior. Personally now that I've see them I definitely prefer the 38RF over the 38RE.

I'm even more convinced that the HDTV needs to be moved to the other end of the dinette. The angle is too far off for good viewing not only from the sofa area but the drivers seat when it's turned. This one of two things I don't like, the other being the side-by-side RR. I'd rather see a French Door RR.

Since we have two large dogs the Dinette gives a lot more floor space when traveling than the Booth dinette on the 38RE. We'd just have to put the chairs in the bedroom or next to the wardrobe neither of which is a big deal.

The Theater seating can be replaced with the optional Sofa. I wish Thor has an optional free standing arm rest/cupholder/misc cubby that could set in the middle of the sofa like I've seen used on may coaches. I think my DW and I can make one if I can't fine someone that does customs.

It looks like they may have changed the table.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #8

THOR #2858
It looks to me like Thor hasn't shipped any Outlook 38RFs to any dealers since the one from the Hurshey show was sent to MHSRV. Everyone else just shows that they are on order.

Since its been a couple of months since Hurshey that seems odd unless they are making some design changes. If that's the case hopefully one of those changes will be moving the HDTV to the other end of the dinette and if we're supper lucky change the RR to a French door type but we'll all just have to wait and see.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #9

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 38RE
State: Texas
THOR #2145
Timon - MHSRV had one but sold it last week - I should be headed up there soon to pick up my 38RE - I'll see what I can find out -
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
FMCA F455018
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

THOR #2858
I realize that this is an old thread I started but I see no reason to start another one.

Looks like Thor may be discontinuing the 38RF? Although it's still on the web site it's been removed from the latest brochure. I think if Thor tweaked it a bit it would be a great plan.

For now we're taking another look at the 37RB. The 8x10 garage is a great place for the dogs, there are now three big ones, when we need to go out and can't take them. I'd like it better if it had a king bed and a larger shower, mainly a larger shower, but it may still work out.