Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 01:30 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	6006

So we finished up our trip July 4th week with a stop by a petting zoo in Door county.

Everything went well on the trip home except for this trim piece falling off and hitting my kid in the head in his car seat.

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	6007

One last stop before we got home to get fuel for the RV and our bellies.

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	6008

That pic makes it look like it's squats in the back, it's the angle of the parking lot because it is not squatting hardly at all with the tongue weight on the trailer.

more to come

mac 'home sweet home' gyvr

Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 AM   #42

THOR #7936
Fixed the trim piece above the dinette, then put more nails in the stuff that hasn't fallen off yet.

Started trying to track down the wiring to the microwave. Tore out the bottom bunk, the bottom drawer in the bedroom to no avail. Traced in the kitchen and then finally...

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	6060

Found this junction under the dinette. Figured out where the microwave power ran through it.

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	6061

Fixed the microwave outlet. Bad junction. Redid it and got power.

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	6062

Bought this cover for the couch. Hopefully helps keep the couch a little cleaner from the dogs.

mac 'it's the little things' gyvr
Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #43

State: California
THOR #6557
Where did you find the couch cover?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 AM   #44

THOR #7936
Deluxe Reversible Sofa Furniture Protector, Coffee / Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TGB4LBI..._KUBwZkymv4ZbI

mac 'I have a prime problem' gyvr
Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #45

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mac, Looks like you are making great progress on getting through all the little things. I've completely lost count of how many little issues like that I have addressed.....and still need to. Seems like its never ending.

My wife asked me once when i was in the middle of trying to figure out a solution..."Do you like doing this stuff?". Well, yes, it's sortof like a hobby I guess. I do enjoy some of it. It's only the emergency stuff on the side of the road that isn't enjoyable.... or when getting crunched for time.

On another note....did you ever get a weight for that rig?
Mine is a different floor plan but the same size, so probably rough ballpark similar in overall weight....although that full wall slide likely affects balance Curious how your axle weights, or better your corner weights, look with the trailer and jeep in tow. I so far haven't towed anything with my rig.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #46

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
"My wife asked me once when i was in the middle of trying to figure out a solution..."Do you like doing this stuff?". Well, yes, it's sortof like a hobby I guess. I do enjoy some of it. It's only the emergency stuff on the side of the road that isn't enjoyable.... or when getting crunched for time."

You sound like me...I like fixing/making things work better. But, very inconveinient when on the go.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #47

THOR #908
yeah.... but actually, she asked me that while I was doing stuff while sitting in the campground.
Sometimes it seems that's about the only time I have free to tinker on stuff. It's in a way more trouble to do projects at home because my limited time is being split and pulled there. The only exception is that at home I have more tools and hardware.....and I usually come up short of something I need when in the CG doing stuff.

When DW asked me that, it was the day after our blowout on I-95. I was sitting in a CG researching replacement tire options.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #48

THOR #7936
Finally got switched over to two 6 volt batteries yesterday.

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	6067
Old 12 volt junk

Positioned the new ones in trying to find the best combo for running wires where they needed to go.

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	6068

Then realized the new was taller. I had measured and knew it would be close.

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	6069

So I wired it and tighten the bolts to get that part of the project done.

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	6070

Then it was off to the hardware store.

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	6071

I had one spot that I couldn't put trim on with the battery cables. The screws are just drywall screws, I checked for fit before I ran them in.

At the suggestion of another member I had pulled the step off already. I just moved it up the same distance as my wood trim spacer and then moved the latch up the same amount.

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6072

The finished product looks great and I don't even notice the extra height difference in the step. I may paint the wood eventually...but with two kids and two dogs I'm sure it will match pretty quickly.

mac 'always takes twice as long as it should' gyvr
Old 07-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #49

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
yeah.... but actually, she asked me that while I was doing stuff while sitting in the campground.
Sometimes it seems that's about the only time I have free to tinker on stuff. It's in a way more trouble to do projects at home because my limited time is being split and pulled there. The only exception is that at home I have more tools and hardware.....and I usually come up short of something I need when in the CG doing stuff.

When DW asked me that, it was the day after our blowout on I-95. I was sitting in a CG researching replacement tire options.
I like doing small stuff at the campground. My wife likes to read, so it gives me something to do when just chilling at the CG. The last trip with our G-daughters I took materials to work on the knives I customize & create handles for.
P.S. I tried attaching pic but it didn't work...
Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #50

THOR #7205
Then it was off to the hardware store.
Attachment 6071

I had one spot that I couldn't put trim on with the battery cables. The screws are just drywall screws, I checked for fit before I ran them in.

At the suggestion of another member I had pulled the step off already. I just moved it up the same distance as my wood trim spacer and then moved the latch up the same amount.
Attachment 6072

The finished product looks great and I don't even notice the extra height difference in the step. I may paint the wood eventually...but with two kids and two dogs I'm sure it will match pretty quickly.

mac 'always takes twice as long as it should' gyvr[/QUOTE]

Looks good! Weird that your area needed more heigth than mine.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #51

THOR #7936
Quote:
On another note....did you ever get a weight for that rig?
Mine is a different floor plan but the same size, so probably rough ballpark similar in overall weight....although that full wall slide likely affects balance Curious how your axle weights, or better your corner weights, look with the trailer and jeep in tow. I so far haven't towed anything with my rig.
I keep forgetting to reply to this. I am at some point going to try to get a minute to hit a truck scale for a weight on one of my upcoming trips. I doubt I'll be able to get a side to side weight, but I can get axle weights for sure.

We are taking the Jeep to an off-road park this weekend.

mac 'loading tonight' gyvr
Old 07-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #52

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Looks good! Weird that your area needed more heigth than mine.
I read where it seemed that everyone got the 6 volt batteries to fit without modification on the class C's with the batteries under the step.

I don't know why mine is special. I took pics in case anyone else ran into the same issue. I looked at trying to modify the battery tray, but it's welded to the frame and I wasn't motivated enough to start that kind of a fab project.

It should also be noted that I did not tie the batteries down. I did stick some wood in the battery tray to keep them from moving back and forth. Tho I don't expect to accelerate fast enough for them to move backwards. They are in the tray tight enough that I don't expect them to move at all. I couldn't get the battery hold downs back on them. The wood trim at the top is basically a hold down and the step also holds them down with that latch.

mac 'if they move, I got bigger issues going on' gyvr
Old 07-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #53

THOR #908
I haven't measured mine, at least not recently, so I don't know how much room I have....but I'll say that while my step and battery tray arrangement looks the same as yours my battery is sitting quite a ways down below the step....so if yours is like mine those 6V Duracells must sit might tall.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #54

THOR #7936
Quote:
I haven't measured mine, at least not recently, so I don't know how much room I have....but I'll say that while my step and battery tray arrangement looks the same as yours my battery is sitting quite a ways down below the step....so if yours is like mine those 6V Duracell's must sit might tall.
Yeah I measured them when I bought them and they were taller than the junk that was in there. I don't remember the measurements now. I bought them about a month ago.

The wood trim measures about 3/4 inch. I have about 1/4 inch to spare in height room now to the bottom of the step.

The Sam's club Duracell was highly recommended for this conversion.

mac 'hope they last' gyvr
Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #55

THOR #908
with only 1/4 inch air gap to the terminals, I think I would consider gluing in a thin rubber layer on the underside of the metal step as an insulator. Those things probably give a bit with a heavy person stepping. Not nearly that much...but still.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #56

THOR #7936
Quote:
with only 1/4 inch air gap to the terminals, I think I would consider gluing in a thin rubber layer on the underside of the metal step as an insulator. Those things probably give a bit with a heavy person stepping. Not nearly that much...but still.
The thought crossed my mind.

I did leave all the plastic caps on the batteries that I wasn't using and I cut the stud in covers to go over where the power is bolted down. (You can see it in the photo with the wood trim installed.)

mac 'a forgiving step?' gyvr
Old 07-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #57

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
mac 'if they move, I got bigger issues going on' gyvr
LMAO! I guess you would! Since I have been known to drag race on occassion... I was thinking about how sloooow the MH would be just the other day!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:15 AM   #58

THOR #7936
I always say my stuff drives like a race car without the trailer...

mac 'kinda' gyvr
Old 08-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #59

Model: 31Y
State: Minnesota
THOR #8487
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
Yeah I measured them when I bought them and they were taller than the junk that was in there. I don't remember the measurements now. I bought them about a month ago.

The wood trim measures about 3/4 inch. I have about 1/4 inch to spare in height room now to the bottom of the step.

The Sam's club Duracell was highly recommended for this conversion.

mac 'hope they last' gyvr
I just purchased a 2018 31Y Chateau about a month ago. We just spent a long weekend on the original house battery. We actually were hardly at the RV except to sleep. We ran the overhead fan overnight and a few lights as needed. When we left the RV we turned off all power. I guess what I mean is we were careful with our energy usage, but Sunday morning when we woke up we had almost zero charge left on the battery. Its not a big deal because we turned on the generator and did what we need to do, but i would like to have more capacity.

So I am thinking this week I want to add an additional battery, but please forgive my ignorance, why did you use two 6 volt batteries and not two 12 volts? The 31Y has the battery under the step as well and it appears the rack could hold 4 batteries and seems to have decent clearance for the additional cabling.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #60

State: Maryland
THOR #7268
Batteries...

In general, you can either two two 6-volt batteries in series or two 12-volt batteries in parallel.

For the 12-volts, you take the Amp-Hour ratings on them and add them together to get the combined rating. 2 * 12v 120AH batteries = 12v 240 AH

For the 6-volt, they need to be the same Amp-Hour rating, then you get the value of one of them. 2 * 6v 300AH = 12v 300AH.

Because Golf Cart batteries are 6V, you can get some really good high AH batteries in that size, that are the same physical size.

Lastly, the 6v tend to be better deep cycle batteries, where you can discharge them almost completely and do no harm versus most of the 12v batteries, you damage them when you completely drain them.

Most of this information is based on various posts on this forum. Most people that have done the research have found that it is more cost effective and more power dense and overall better to do the two 6V instead of two 12v.

Hope that helps.