Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post

mac 'just a matter of budgeting 7 tires and rims 'gyvr
ha ha, right on!

I was actually toying with the idea of splitting up the project....
changing out just the rear 4
then later do the steering axle and spare....

Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #82

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
ha ha, right on!

I was actually toying with the idea of splitting up the project....
changing out just the rear 4
then later do the steering axle and spare....
That's not an awful idea either...

mac 'now only if my Jeep didn't have a wish list too' gyvr
Old 08-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #83

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Thanks for the link to those 17.5 wheels and tires, I was able to convince DW in about 3 sec that we needed to do this. We have been looking at class A's because of the weight issue. This is far cheaper than going that route. I am not scared at all about the chassis just the tires being that overloaded all the time.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #84

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Thanks for the link to those 17.5 wheels and tires, I was able to convince DW in about 3 sec that we needed to do this. We have been looking at class A's because of the weight issue. This is far cheaper than going that route. I am not scared at all about the chassis just the tires being that overloaded all the time.
Great!....and you are welcome.
Just to clarify, I only know about this company and option from someone else that posted a similar link in some forum. I have contacted them once to get their thoughts on doing a rear axle only conversion, but have never bought from them, and don't have any first hand experience....

Please, reply back...or better yet start a new thread so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle....to keep us updated on how it goes, how they look, how good the ordering experience is, etc.... I really want to know!!!!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #85

THOR #7936
At least link here if you start a new thread.

I showed that link to a buddy and he said that they make nice stuff.

In other news I spent several hours washing mine last night...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	6392

mac 'it was a wee bit dirty' gyvr
Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #86

THOR #5432
I should have started a thread a year ago, I have done nothing but alter and modify my rig since I've got it. Added electric heater, led under lights, fixed electric water heater, added litter box for cats. I've put on bumper mounted tire carrier to display Disney tire cover. Carpeted the whole inside, Added loops to tie down the awning. Added Sat radio, disconnected side cameras. Also had to reinforce the shower pan and the res fridge, they had the fridge sitting on a nice board, but that was just sitting on two little 1 x1s stapled into the side walls. Also 1 month after year warranty was up the converter stopped converting. By luck I had one from a previous rv.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #87

THOR #908
Quote:
I should have started a thread a year ago, I have done nothing but alter and modify my rig since I've got it. Added electric heater, led under lights, fixed electric water heater, added litter box for cats. I've put on bumper mounted tire carrier to display Disney tire cover. Carpeted the whole inside, Added loops to tie down the awning. Added Sat radio, disconnected side cameras. Also had to reinforce the shower pan and the res fridge, they had the fridge sitting on a nice board, but that was just sitting on two little 1 x1s stapled into the side walls. Also 1 month after year warranty was up the converter stopped converting. By luck I had one from a previous rv.
yeah, I've long ago lost count of everything I've done to ours.

Curious, where did you find room for a litter box?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #88

THOR #7936
Tell me how you fixed the electric side of the water heater?

mac 'mines not working' gyvr
Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #89

THOR #5432
Chased the wire to a loose ground connection under the dinette, in the Junction box.

Litter box I took out the drawer and covered that hole with the furnace inlet cover I had left over from adding heater. Then cut smaller hole way in back Facing under table. Sterilite bin from Walmart fit perfectly under there using all the space. Had to cut about 2" off the top then cut hole to match the hole in dinette. I then took off the mdf board and replaced with plywood. I cut a line about 6" along the length and hinged it so I can leave the back cushion in place and pick up the front to clean the box. Put a little magnet on door and wall to hold it up.

Picture of electric furnace, not big but is plenty to keep the place warm, especially with such a small LP tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1356.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	6395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1359.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	6396  

Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #90

THOR #908
Quote:
Chased the wire to a loose ground connection under the dinette, in the Junction box.

Litter box I took out the drawer and covered that hole with the furnace inlet cover I had left over from adding heater. Then cut smaller hole way in back Facing under table. Sterilite bin from Walmart fit perfectly under there using all the space. Had to cut about 2" off the top then cut hole to match the hole in dinette. I then took off the mdf board and replaced with plywood. I cut a line about 6" along the length and hinged it so I can leave the back cushion in place and pick up the front to clean the box. Put a little magnet on door and wall to hold it up.

Picture of electric furnace, not big but is plenty to keep the place warm, especially with such a small LP tank.
I like the add of the furnace...guessing that's an electric heater....

And I especially like the hinged seat base. I store my tools under one of those benches, and it's become a royal pain to get in an out, having to deal with both cushions. Think I'll put that one on my list.....
Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #91

THOR #7936
That double junction box under the dinette booth is where I found the bad connection for my microwave plug not working.

Makes sense the electric hot water heater connection is loose in there too.

mac 'tighten up' gyvr
Old 08-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #92

THOR #5432
The furnace is a Cadet Energy Plus 1600 wall furnace from Home Depot. It was a little spendy but it has a built in digital thermostat and variable fan. I added a breaker in box, ran a rubber cord under coach to Junction box under dinette. Then I wired in a switch under the sink so I can turn it off when not using.

When we went to Florida last winter we had a little plug in heater on the counter all the time but it made me nervous going to bed with that running and our cats that like to play with cords.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #93

THOR #7936
We have two electric oil heaters that looks like the old radiator style heaters. We use them when it gets cooler at night so we don't have to use the propane. I keep them stored in the garage in the summer and keep them in the RV in the early spring and late fall. I like using the "free" electricity at the campground.

mac 'stay warm my friends' gyvr
Old 08-26-2017, 06:56 AM   #94

THOR #7936
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/hanko...se-195256.html

this guy went to a g rated 16 inch tire

mac 'so i can find the link later' gyvr
Old 08-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #95

THOR #5432
I just went to that link you posted but if you read the posts the tires are 2.5 inches larger diameter than the stock tires. I don't think there would be enough room in back for all that tire. I ordered the 17.5 wheel and tire kit this week from Rickson. All in it is $3,600 for 7 wheels and 6 Hankook AH11 G rated tires. All match balanced and shipped to my business. I will take pictures when I get them on. They were out of the wheel simulators but he said they should get more shortly, I will just be running around with no wheel covers for a while. I don't think the price is bad considering I should get twice the life out of the tires over the stock ones. If I have to replace the stock Michelins every couple of years that would be $2,000 a pop. These commercial tires should last 8-10 years.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #96

THOR #7936
Please post pics when you get your tires and get them installed. I think the rickson tire/wheel option going to 17.5s is a great solution. Swallowing a $3600 investment is certainly a big decision...and I need to have my ducks in a row to sell that to the DW.

I did read his entire thread a couple of times and I have PM'd him on the irv2 site. He's just replaced the original set he put on in 2014 after over 38k miles and said he's had no issues with them. I don't know if the extra height would allow them to fit on the Thor body in the back. I need to do some measuring.

I also asked him who installed the extra two leaf springs in his leaf pack and how they determined the leafs to use.

When I put my trailer on my coach, it doesn't hardly squat at all. I have the Jeep on the trailer as far back as I am comfortable to get the least amount of tongue weight that I'm comfortable with.

I've looked at going to an aluminum trailer...but they don't give those away either...ouch...

2017 American Hauler 8x20 Aluminum Tandem Axle Car Hauler....Stock# AH-9321

mac 'research research research' gyvr
Old 08-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #97

THOR #5432
Instead of extra leafs I installed Ride Rite airless airbags, kinda like a Timberen, in place of the rear bump stops. I really like how they keep the body from rolling over in turns. I adjusted them so they are loaded all the time. When they were on my F250 they were only loaded when I had the 5th wheel on. I only drove it a few times before I put them on but I think it made the biggest difference in the handling, even more than the Helwig front and rear sway bars I installed afterwards. That is why I am investing in the tires and wheels because I really love the way it drives almost like a large SUV now. A month ago we took out a Windsport for a drive and the first corner I thought I was going to flip it. Could be that I was going to fast but I drive mine that way and it handles it well. I like to drive the speed limit even if that is 70-75 and I feel if the motorhome can't keep up with me then I don't want it.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #98

THOR #7936
I found these:

https://www.truckspring.com/products...SR-107-54.aspx

For the life of me I can't find the firestone application work right kits for the E450...

mac 'I like the concept' gyvr
Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #99

THOR #5432
I actually used the ones from my F250. I just had to modify the top bracket to make it slanted and they worked good. When I left the weight down they were just starting to compress. If you look at Timbrens they are virtually the same and the bracket is slanted to make it work. I just had the Ride Rite ones so I made them work.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #100

State: Maryland
THOR #7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragegame View Post
You seem to be pretty good at electrical issues. Did you attempt to get the overhead cab bunk TV to work while the engine is running?
I know this was a few posts back. I guess I must be lucky, my over-bunk TV's outlet is not locked out while driving. I have to have the generator running, but as long as that is, I can run any of the TV's while going down the road.

Speaking of which, have any of you looked into a whole coach inverter? I am looking at the Xantrex Freedom HFS 2000W inverter/charge controller. With the goal of allowing the entire coach to run of batteries. I am not looking for boondocking as much as I am looking for AC power while going down the road without having to run the generator (unless I need to run AC too). I know that some of the Chateau models have an inverter, but that is only if you have the outdoor kitchen, the 31e did not come with that. Anyone try doing this? I am hoping to get the parts and work on it over the winter...

Thanks.